Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Associate
I've notice a worrying trend in many of the highstreet chains where I ask for 'an extra shot' in my capucinno. They simply run another shot through the same beans. Seeing as I'm paying for an extra shot, I certainly don't count a weak, watery shot as an espresso, most annoying.

I've also noticed how hit-or-miss having a capucinno or espresso is in restaurants - even the expensive ones. I no longer bother having a capucinno in a restaurant due to the slop that get's served up. Scalding hot milk with a tiny layer of foam in a massive cup is an absolute traversty!
Espresso seems to be slightly better, but not by much! I've lost count how many times I've asked for a double espresso only to be given a large cup of black coffee containing about 5 times the amount it should.

It's sometimes a curse being a connoisseur of anything. :(

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I've notice a worrying trend in many of the highstreet chains where I ask for 'an extra shot' in my capucinno. They simply run another shot through the same beans. Seeing as I'm paying for an extra shot, I certainly don't count a weak, watery shot as an espresso, most annoying.

i know the feeling! I tend to come home for a coffee half the time which kinda ruins the idea of going out for food...

With the extra shot thing they should really be using a larger basket but inverably they just don't bother (the place in Richmond - source by the station) will actually pull a whole new shot for you :)

Associate
i know the feeling! I tend to come home for a coffee half the time which kinda ruins the idea of going out for food...

With the extra shot thing they should really be using a larger basket but inverably they just don't bother (the place in Richmond - source by the station) will actually pull a whole new shot for you :)

I often have a mid-size capucinno that already has 2 shots in it, so it's heartbreaking to see them pull a double shot, pause, then run through another.

I have noted that Pret-a-manger have the most consistently excellent coffee on the high-street. There's a few of them around where I live, and 99% of the time a capucinno will be the correct temperature and have lots of lovely micro-foam. Although they use a semi-automatic machine, it's nice to see that they're well trained.

Man of Honour
OP
Man of Honour
I always add a very very small pinch of salt after I've "compacted" the coffee grounds - it helps make it that little bit smoother. Try it, honestly it's so so very subtle but it's a tip I got when I went to Italy. :)

Permabanned
If anyone is in Buckingham, we've just taken delivery of 8 new coffee beans from Taylors and we're in the process of trying them all, so come on down............................

My absolute favourite - espresso con panna, double espresso with whipped cream on top.

Another to try - espresso with a tiny strip of lemon zest in.

Man of Honour
OP
I always add a very very small pinch of salt after I've "compacted" the coffee grounds - it helps make it that little bit smoother. Try it, honestly it's so so very subtle but it's a tip I got when I went to Italy. :)

i've seen that done with sugar, infact some places in Italy got a little confused when i didn't want it!, but never salt... interesting, might have to give it a go

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Has anyone used coffee pods? We've got individual foil wrapped Gaggia ones here for pure convenience and lack of mess because people can't be trusted to keep the machine clean. They are good and tightly packed and seem to make a decent enough espresso, just a little small. Caffeine is a bit high for my palate as well so I'd like to try a different brand.

I think ultimately I'll end up moving to ground coffee and waste some time at the machine but you can't beat the pods for convenience factor.

Man of Honour
OP
Has anyone used coffee pods? We've got individual foil wrapped Gaggia ones here for pure convenience and lack of mess because people can't be trusted to keep the machine clean. They are good and tightly packed and seem to make a decent enough espresso, just a little small. Caffeine is a bit high for my palate as well so I'd like to try a different brand.

I think ultimately I'll end up moving to ground coffee and waste some time at the machine but you can't beat the pods for convenience factor.

we had the Nespresso machines and associated pods at work and they were acceptable, not great but i can see the attraction in terms of cleanness etc.

Your always going to have the problem of staleness with these though, the beans will have been roasted and ground ages ago...

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
we had the Nespresso machines and associated pods at work and they were acceptable, not great but i can see the attraction in terms of cleanness etc.

Your always going to have the problem of staleness with these though, the beans will have been roasted and ground ages ago...
Never tried Nespresso to be honest. I've just assumed that because the machines are available for as little as £29 and the fact that you are tied into using their own pods they probably aren't worth the box they are packed in. I had images of fake crema like you get with sachets of instant cappuccino.

Man of Honour
OP
Never tried Nespresso to be honest. I've just assumed that because the machines are available for as little as £29 and the fact that you are tied into using their own pods they probably aren't worth the box they are packed in. I had images of fake crema like you get with sachets of instant cappuccino.

your pretty much spot on, they are better than instant, but only just!

Associate

I've also noticed how hit-or-miss having a capucinno or espresso is in restaurants - even the expensive ones. I no longer bother having a capucinno in a restaurant due to the slop that get's served up. Scalding hot milk with a tiny layer of foam in a massive cup is an absolute traversty!
Espresso seems to be slightly better, but not by much! I've lost count how many times I've asked for a double espresso only to be given a large cup of black coffee containing about 5 times the amount it should.

You just expressed years of pent-up annoyance that's been building up inside me in a single post! I know exactly how you feel. :p

I don't even consider myself ridiculously picky - at Italian friend of mine considers anything bigger than a single shot of espresso undrinkable because, she says, the coffee loses its flavour by the time she drinks a double!

Interesting... I'll give it a shot, but I'm taking this statement with a pinch of salt...

("tiddy-boom", "ban tbh", "get your coat, taxi's waiting" etc, I know I deserve them!:p)

Back
Top Bottom