Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Hi guys.

So the aeropress isn't really cutting it for me. Its good don't get me wrong but it isnt really (well i don't think anyway) doing the coffee justice. I bought 2 sets of beans now from Hasbean and it just looks flat with no crema so i think its time i upgrade to a machine. Always wanted one, been putting it off buying the aeropress etc. Is the Gaggia classic still the one to go for? Also would you guys look into getting a second hand one? or wait and get brand new? What model classic should i look for too? Really don't want to spend over £200.00 ideally.

You won't get crema from an aeropress, because it's not an espresso machine. It's not working at a high enough pressure to dissolve the co2 to make it.

Use it inverted and make excellent brewed coffee from it instead. See www.brewmethods.com for ideas of recipes.

If you want an espresso machine, and older Gaggia Classic is a good start. The 2015 model is a pain, under EU regs and all that guff, it turns off after 9 minutes, which isn't long enough for the thing to get up to temperature in the first place.

Hi guys.

So the aeropress isn't really cutting it for me. Its good don't get me wrong but it isnt really (well i don't think anyway) doing the coffee justice. I bought 2 sets of beans now from Hasbean and it just looks flat with no crema so i think its time i upgrade to a machine. Always wanted one, been putting it off buying the aeropress etc. Is the Gaggia classic still the one to go for? Also would you guys look into getting a second hand one? or wait and get brand new? What model classic should i look for too? Really don't want to spend over £200.00 ideally.

£200 wont get you a machine and grinder. I got a Rancilio Silvia and the Rocky grinder for under £600. If you want espresso then you have to pay for a decent machine you wont get one with a cheap one the Gaggia imo is not a good machine anymore.

And buying a machine without a grinder is pointless. Have you tried a moka pot? Moka and a grinder produces coffee that is as good as espresso in quality just gives a different textured/flavoured coffee. Moka is still my prefered brew - quick, cheap, versatile and delicious straight black.

Last edited:
Cheers for the replies guys. I already have a grinder which isn't the best granted but its a start :D The Rancilio looks fantastic but she would nail my 'boys' down and slice them off if i spent that much while saving for a wedding :D

This is why i thought a Gaggia would be he best choice although struggling to find a pre 2015 model within budget. The older one (i think) is twice the price of the 2015 on on amazon :eek:

Don't get me wrong the coffee tastes great and i always use the aeropress inverted. Just want the full sha-bang now.

Last edited:
I'm getting a bit confused when looking online. Does any of you guys know the model of your Gaggia Classic 1 (the good one). Im seeing gaggia classic 2015, gaggia classic II - Want to make sure i buy the right one. Could someone list the MPN?

Edit: Think i have found one. Would you guys recommend buying one of these? Unless i have read wrong you now get a 2 yr warrenty even with refurbed? Link

Last edited:
I'm getting a bit confused when looking online. Does any of you guys know the model of your Gaggia Classic 1 (the good one). Im seeing gaggia classic 2015, gaggia classic II - Want to make sure i buy the right one. Could someone list the MPN?

AFAIK the 2015 model has soft touch switches, the older models have rocker switches.

For the record, I'll be going to the London Coffee festival tomorrow morning & I'll try to take some pics & post them on here when I get back. ;)

Cheers for the replies guys. I already have a grinder which isn't the best granted but its a start :D The Rancilio looks fantastic but she would nail my 'boys' down and slice them off if i spent that much while saving for a wedding :D

This is why i thought a Gaggia would be he best choice although struggling to find a pre 2015 model within budget. The older one (i think) is twice the price of the 2015 on on amazon :eek:

Don't get me wrong the coffee tastes great and i always use the aeropress inverted. Just want the full sha-bang now.

Have a look on ebay or coffeeforums for a 2nd hand one. Well looked after models on coffee forums usually go for ~£120. I picked mine up locally via ebay for £82 :D and it's as good as new. Plenty of deals out there if your budget is tight.

If you want a better grinder, you could go down the manual route (porlex / hario) for £30-£50 or <£100 will net you a good starter in the Iberital MC2.

Well here I am, (proof I went there)

Zc3iorK.jpg

Nearly all the big London Roasters were there (Square Mile, Ozone, Caravan, Union, Allpress etc)

Bought back a couple of bags of Beans, some shot glasses, a new grinder & I got a free book on the London Coffee Guide. I thought about getting an aeropress but decided against it as it would not be suitable for the time of day I want to use it. I would say 3 hours is more than enough for a visit. (It get very busy, noisy & hot) I would say to anyone who is new to taking drinking coffee seriously, its a good day out.

I didnt take many photos but here they are.

https://plus.google.com/photos/113547450840023272930/albums/6144578101282034577

When I came out of there, my head was buzzing. I don't remember being like that since I drank 4 cans of Red Bull straight off many moons ago. :D

Last edited:
I still think you'd be better off with a Silvia £350 new. You could buy a Gaggia 2nd thats not as good and end up with it breaking down and spending £100 to fix it.

Or if you are getting married put it on the present list.

Coffee aficiandos help! :)

I'm after a bit of help with finding good coffee!

I've nearly always used instant coffee, but I've just bought a Bialetti moka express so I can get a better quality coffee after trying a friends pod espresso's.

I currently can't afford one of these pod machines so I though one of these bialettis would be a good substitute!

Just after some advice on what to buy, as I find espresso, ground etc (I'm assuming its just ground I need).

I tend towards blends but still want to try a variety

Cheers!

Aeropress, a hand grinder (burr), and a 12 month sub at hasbean.

Although I prefer a Chemex over aeropress these days, easier to make a brew.

That's the route to cheapest, tastiest coffee with variety.

So would you say its worth cancelling my Bialetti and getting an aeropress? Or would I get just as good results from the hob alternative?

I still have time to change my order but I liked the idea of seeing my coffee sprout through :D.

I did see the starter packs on there but I'll check out the subacription. Too. Thanks

The recommended water that a espresso machine pushes through the ground is between 92-96c. Pushing water through coffee at boiling point gives you a burnt taste, and because of that, and how the moka pot works, I am not a fan of it. The moka pot works as intended but I prefer aeropress andr he Chemex because of that.

The sub is just an idea, you can always buy 3-4 bags at a time every few months and try different ones.

I think if it was priced per month the I would give it a shot but 71 is a bit steep for me at the moment. I think I'll do a bit more research before I get the hob version and look up the aeropress.

It all depends on your tastes, I guess.
I use one of these stovetop deals and I'm personally happy with the Lavazza espresso packets of loose grounds you find in the supermarket. Doesn't have any of the 'dirt' taste that seems characteristic of cafetiere, but bags more flavour than most instant coffees.

Shop around, see which ones you like. Perhaps even have a 'coffee party' of sorts? :D

It all depends on your tastes, I guess.
I use one of these stovetop deals and I'm personally happy with the Lavazza espresso packets of loose grounds you find in the supermarket. Doesn't have any of the 'dirt' taste that seems characteristic of cafetiere, but bags more flavour than most instant coffees.

Shop around, see which ones you like. Perhaps even have a 'coffee party' of sorts? :D

My friends all take the **** as I am pretty much a hipster! :D

But I'd rather get some good coffee in the morning rather than the freeze dried stuff (which I don't mind, but isn't nearly as nice).

I've found on the net you do get a smoother taste from the aeropress, but the moka gives a more rich taste, so long as you don't burn the crap out of it.

So many options!

Back
Top Bottom