Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Associate
The part that tamps is threaded, so you just can adjust the depth of it. The whole thing is pretty weighty though and seems well made. Costs about 10% of the proper OCD one and I'd imagine works just as well.

The original concept was indeed just to use it to level out the grinds, but it actually tamps at the same time so I've stopped bothering with an after-tamp. I've been getting really good, even extractions since I started using it. More importantly though, my missus, who also uses the coffee gear and has a tendency to mess with the grind dial when she pulls a bad coffee, has been getting much better results. It essentially removes another variable from the process.

Caporegime
have been intrigued by the hockey puck tampers ever since OCD buzz. Never thought to look for knockoffs. Tempted now as £15 is a lot more palatable than £115 lol.

In other news: Started on the Columbia La Bonanza from Rave today. Is nice. Not the bestest, but a nice mellow body with choccy and some fruitiness. :)

fez

fez

Caporegime
After a bit of help guys. For a while with my DTP I was getting a really nice textured foam with a bit more on the top. Suddenly I can't seem to texture the milk at all. I can still get the froth on top but the milk underneath is straight up milk, no texture to it at all really. Any idea what could be causing this?

The only thing I can think is that I have been heating the milk a bit more than I used to as the coffee I was making wasn't that "hot". It was nice but you had to drink it straight away or it was only warm a few minutes later. Milk is coming straight from the fridge so I know its cold.

Soldato
The flat bottomed one is effectively just a tamper - but the thread adjustment means that you can apply a consistent flat pressure as it butts up against the top of the portafilter basket. The one with an angled base when turned on top of the grounds will even them out. Check out some videos on youtube of the OCD tamper as there's a few with an explanation of the theory behind it.

Caporegime
Those who have ordered the puck, did you go with the flat base?
What's the sloped base doing that the flat isn't?
The puck with the slopes isn't a traditional tamper, it's a "distributor" that is meant for evenly spreading out the grinds (by rotating it).

The flat base puck is a regular tamper without a handle, but also with a depth limiter.

Associate
I got to fiddle with the RR45 for the first time yesterday. Sadly the bearings don't sound in too good shape, but it grinds great, so not too worried for now. I'll strip it down and replace them at some point.

I've removed the tamper/pf forks and used a lens hood hopper so i can fit it under the kitchen cabinets.

Picture of updated coffee corner below.

f1LZp0W.jpg

Soldato
Sadly the bearings don't sound in too good shape, but it grinds great,
disappointing - with Rocky lower burr seems directly on motor shaft, so bearings going, would impact grind,
without a hopper (SJ one also look enormous) not sure how you prevent beans being ejected.

but the milk underneath is straight up milk, no texture to it at all really. Any idea what could be causing this?
maybe get a mechanical/ metal prod thermometer, both of folks posting videos in the automatic threads were using them.

Just started removing filter screen and dispersion plate when I backflush - don't know why I had not always done that - can only help pushing detergent back through solenoid ?
also saw this http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/how-to-make-a-big-improvement-in-shot-quality
I do however, always remove screen/plate every few days anyway, so nothing new.

Associate
disappointing - with Rocky lower burr seems directly on motor shaft, so bearings going, would impact grind,
without a hopper (SJ one also look enormous) not sure how you prevent beans being ejected.

I checked for axle movement due to the bearings but it's fine for now. I'm sure replacing the bearings would improve things, but it's good enough for now, easily chokes the classic, and particle consistency is good enough for me.

The lens hopper has a lens cap on the end which would stop any beans flying out, but I don't single dose any way so beans flying out isn't really a problem.

Waiting for my newest coffee to rest for this weekend, looking forward to trying it - Coleman Coffee Roasters - espresso blend.

Associate
I'm currently paying £4.10 per 250g for Lavazza Espresso beans from the supermarket, is there anything better online I could try for a comparable price? I use a Delonghi ESAM4200 bean to cup machine.

Soldato
I'm currently paying £4.10 per 250g for Lavazza Espresso beans from the supermarket, is there anything better online I could try for a comparable price? I use a Delonghi ESAM4200 bean to cup machine.

that is not so cheap, you can go Rave Italian Job, or signature for a similar price, will need >2Kg to skip postage,
tastes nicer, and you know when it was roasted [supermarket sell by is roasted+12months!]

Look in bean2cup thread,we discussed a Waitrose own blend recently, big dark oily beans (sumatra something ?) it was on offer £3.5 /250g I tried some - good value.

Soldato
Well I just bought Bolivia Jeivert Estanislao Panuni (£6.50) and Kenya Kiriga Estate AA (£8.50) plus shipping. I don't see why anyone would pay £4.50 for Lavazza when there's plenty available on HB and the like for not-much over £5. I tend not to buy any bags for over £7 for 250g and it doesn't take much searching at all.

Associate
Cheers for the suggestions. I always knew I was paying over the odds for sub-standard coffee but have just been too lazy to look elsewhere.

The Rave coffee looks particularly good, works out at only £2.90 for the same quantity of Lavazza and I have no doubt it will be better, but I will order a few of the other suggestions to try as well.

Back
Top Bottom