Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
I hope so, I've started the 2nd one from the left, it's Dark Arts Didi Diablo (Named after the Tour de France Devil) It's a Ethiopian coffee & my 2nd Ethiopian brew this year, the other was Foundry Rocko Mountain reserve (I wasn't keen on that so it got relegated to the early morning pick-me-up) I tried the middle one Saturday before I left the south coast & it was sublime, so I had to buy a bag.

Man of Honour
OP
so it was a roastery crawl/run of 6 establishments ? - the benefits of caffeine for running
I understood some of the london roasteries participated in a marketting scheme which promoted visiting competitors shops - could not refind article.

it was Gwilym's disloyalty card (although it looks like a few people have done it since) free 8th coffee at purfrock but i'm pretty sure it was just a one off when he won the WBC
YTVb9th.jpg

Soldato
Can anyone recommend some good dark roasted beans?

I've tried a couple, one from cafe hormozi and it was terrible, tasted like petroleum. Perhaps was a little too dark.

Will to try owt, still trying to find my go to bean.

Caporegime
I had a bag of Jampa Pit dark roast a while back. Tasted like I'd emptied my very old BBQ into my grinder. After just one cup I had to fully cleanse all of my equipment to great lengths to get rid of the lingering smell and after taste. That's honestly the most disassembled my grinder has ever been.

Soldato
you mean below - from my first ever Feb compass selection - I preferred the others but it was not anathema - I think you do have to grind it sooner though,
I was a Rave serial monogomist, but am now convinced that polygomy definitely helps you appreciate the nuances.
Coffee Compass Espresso Selection
Please Select.....

Brighton Lanes, Hill & Valley, Mahogany Roast Jampit Hit
Please Select.....

Whole Bean (Un-Ground)
ESPSELECT 1

Soldato
Anyone recently ordered from Rave? Waiting for 1.5 weeks for my coffee which still hasn't turned up. I emailed them on Monday and still awaiting a reply. Used them previously and never had a problem. Seems CS is really bad. Shame as the coffee was really good. Not going to use them again, almost 2 weeks, no coffee and ignored emails is simply not good enough. Caffeine rage!!!

Soldato
Anyone recently ordered from Rave? Waiting for 1.5 weeks for my coffee which still hasn't turned up. I emailed them on Monday and still awaiting a reply. Used them previously and never had a problem. Seems CS is really bad. Shame as the coffee was really good. Not going to use them again, almost 2 weeks, no coffee and ignored emails is simply not good enough. Caffeine rage!!!
My order last month arrived in 2 days

Associate
I placed an order via Amazon (but using Rave, I didn't want old beans from Amazon's wareouse) on the 22nd of July, and they arrived on the 25th. I think something must have gone wrong with your order, doesn't explain the lack of CS though.

Soldato
Rang them this morning and to be fair the lady I spoke to was apologetic. They re really short staffed, hence the lack of reply to my email. I am chasing the sorting office for them and should it not be there then they will send me out another batch. Seems it's been lost in the post. I ll give them the chance to sort it :)

Soldato
what are your scale recommendations ?
Hario VST-2000B 1-Piece Coffee Drip Scale/ Timer
Smart Weigh Digital Pocket Scale 100 x 0.01g - Bl

have come up in previous discussions (and can get hario for £16 on ali) but the seems you need to calibrate both to ensure they give you a genuine 0.1g accuracy and not sure if they are necessarily responsive, they are not so asthetic either, and might be fragile compared to larger digital scales I occasionally use (Soehnle Page 5kg)

... At the moment I typically do it by eye with a smallish 30ml scoop, and occassionally check with scales
I now verified the big scales are accurate to the gram - so really asking is it worth it
(a dosing grinder that weighs would be nice - are they 0.1g accurate ?,
I have negligible grind retention in Rocky grinder I currently use)

1p = 3.56g
2p = 7.12g
5p = 3.25g
10p = 6.5g
20p = 5g
50p = 8g
£1 = 9.5g
£2 = 12g

Soldato
The Hario's look good, with a timer is ideal. Any chance of a link to the copies on Ali?
an example

can look at reviews from other sellers who have sold more examples at higher prices

another timer one from USA amazon but did not yet find it on ali
edit : not 0.1g accurate
these are not bad either, no timer, but newer design and I think ones which have lower max weight may be more accurate in the sub 50g range for coffee beans - not so different to your link.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom