Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Associate
Well after having a fiddle with the settings on the Mignon I'm over the moon with the results I'm getting. The difference between this and my £40 delonghi grinder is massive!

I've read it will get it even better once it's ground a couple of kg of coffee, is that right?

The combination of this and the Sage Duo Pro is outstanding, happy chappy!

Soldato
Pretty significant price decrease on the Sage B.E - down from 549

https://www.johnlewis.com/sage-by-h...JRn67mf_VnwkKqzqvLAaApDZEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Don't waste you time on that sage stuff...

A good grinder and separate machine is just as quick to use as an all in one once dialled ...

Why? I've had one for about 2 years now not skipped a beat. Produces acceptable coffee using extract coffee beans, ideal for people who are short on space.

Permabanned
Why? I've had one for about 2 years now not skipped a beat. Produces acceptable coffee using extract coffee beans, ideal for people who are short on space.

The built in grinder is just not good enough to give the correct uniform grind you need for a good Espresso. A good grinder and coffee bean is IMHO more important than the espresso machine.

Soldato
The built in grinder is just not good enough to give the correct uniform grind you need for a good Espresso. A good grinder and coffee bean is IMHO more important than the espresso machine.

We'll agree to differ, for £450 with 5 years John Lewis warranty its a great machine. The Mrs is happy enough with it as well and she's been a Barista on and off for about 8 years. Each to there own, but I'm just saying don't rule it out if anyone is thinking about buying one.

Permabanned
We'll agree to differ, for £450 with 5 years John Lewis warranty its a great machine. The Mrs is happy enough with it as well and she's been a Barista on and off for about 8 years. Each to there own, but I'm just saying don't rule it out if anyone is thinking about buying one.

Jura make better bean to cup machines, was the Mrs at Costa or Starbucks?

Soldato
Permabanned
Soldato
"Oh, Just one more thing ..." ;) The Mrs does rate the brews you make with the BE, as much as those made by herself ?
(I think Rachel Koo, could probably whip up a better meal than I, with the ingredients & equipment in my kitchen - sorry Nigella)
at the time of your purchase did you reject a Bpro plus a separate grinder, for a particular reason

Permabanned
The trouble with the BE is it cannot produce a uniform fine grind with the built in grinder, you need a proper flat burr grinder at 65mm or over...

Soldato
(I think) I appreciate the theory but there seems to be a lack of objective evauation of these characteristics of grinders.
I had checked out this thread that has some plots https://www.home-barista.com/grinders/grinder-studies-by-socratic-coffee-t38826-180.html
It does raise this below point too - so (Mrs JimBeans.) tamping style with BE may have significant impact.
Distribution has two meanings in the context of this discussion:
1. Particle size distribution - That is what Socratic measured
2. Distribution in the Portafilter - making sure the puck is "uniform" (whatever "uniform" means)

off (current) topic : has anyone replaced washers on steam and water valves,as you would a PF gasket ?
I have noticed that I get some black residue if I have not used either taps for a while, and then run some water directly into an empty cup.

Soldato
My Barrista Express pumps out a lot of hot water through the steam wand. Is it broken? I don't use it often so can't remember what it was like before.

Soldato
Are there any cheap cheap electric coffee grinders worth using over a Porlex hand grinder? Looking to get one for my desk at work for Aeropress and Clever Dripper. I don't expect it to match my Eureka Mignon but a cheap burr grinder would be handy.

Back
Top Bottom