Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Man of Honour
I bought one a few years back. Saw it cheap on ebay and thought why not.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140986202735

Still there, still cheap.

Only things I'd do is replace the alcohol burner with a butane one and replace the fabric filter for a glass or paper one. Paper is easier, glass is cooler. I did drill a hole in the lid for a thermocouple too....

Soldato
101 .. although reviews seem ok - I would not be heating glass that is not designated borosilicate (even though I wear glasses)
( it would be interesting to know ce rules for glass products being heated by a direct flame.)

Soldato
(safety) 101
Borosilicate/pyrex glass not only has good temperature resistance, but good thermal shock resistance as well. Borosilicate temperatures at atmospheric pressure are up to 500°C for the strain point, while the softening point is over 800°C. Maximum thermal shock resistance is 160°C. ...
Soft glass or soda lime bottles have an upper temperature limit of 200°C, but have very little thermal shock resistance and can break easily when taken from hot to cold temperatures rapidly.
buying glassware you are going to heat with a flame, w/o certification is at your risk

Soldato
I wouldn't describe them as a novelty, they're a different way of brewing coffee but yes, the price can be a bit exciting.

Before I knackered my Hario it got a lot of use, it was probably my most used brewing method even though it's more of a faff than a V60 or Chemex.

Caporegime
Like PC components I always seem to get the itch for trying a new brewing method, the aeropress just isn't consistent enough, I can brew two cups using near enough identical timing and water temperature and they'll taste different.

You can get a cup from it that tastes like the best coffee you've ever had then another cup that tastes no better than a cheap coffee machine using off beans.

Man of Honour
I've always been curious about vacpots - though not £100+ curious. Are they just a novelty?

See my link above for a £29 one.
It's a copy of the Hario and I use a Hario paper filter adapter in it with no problems.

It's a different method of brewing, certainly more theatrical. The coffee also tends to change more than other brew methods as you do get air bubbled through it as it brews and it often heats to just below boiling, something we've all been told is bad for coffee. It's also a clean full immersion brew, which is interesting. Up until fairly recently, that wasn't a normal thing. But with the Clever Dripper and other things like that it's become more common.

Associate
That'd look great just for show on the kitchen worktop.
I've been using an aeropress for the past few years which served me well, recently increased the grind size which has changed the coffee for the better.
Am tempted to try this copy though for around £30.

Associate
I've had my Sage Duo Temp Pro for almost a year now and I've had my Eureka Mignon mk2 Grinder since September time. Previous to the Mignon I had a cheap £40 Delonghi grinder - the Mignon made a crazy difference.

In term of the Sage I've been really happy with it but the upgrade bug is starting to bite, someone on here commented that the Mignon was maybe too good a grinder for the DTP (not sure whether that is right or not?).

If I were to upgrade to something else - where would I need to go to make it a worthwhile upgrade. I like the fact the Sage is simple to use although I am not brand loyal to Sage.

Would something like a Rancilo Silvia be a decent upgrade or would I need to go past that? Rocket Appartamento? I don't want to change the grinder.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think a Silvia(had one) would be a sideways step, the thermocoil/pid/engineering in the SDP is giving similar control over the brewing to a Silvia and machine cost is not so different.

moving to a prosumer e61/hx appartamento, what >£1k new? or £7/800 used, is a big step and at a minimum I would want to try one out (where can you do that?)
The de-scale and maintenance on an e61 scares me a bit versus the cheaper bezzera hx machine I have (2nd hand and changed groupo head from pods ~ £200)
You would probably loose little money on the appartamento, there is Oscar II in the middle ground £600 I think I would go there next ... but depends on your budget.

Associate
You would probably loose little money on the appartamento, there is Oscar II in the middle ground £600 I think I would go there next ... but depends on your budget.

I'm not entirely sure budget wise to be honest, I just want to make the right jump. I'm sort of comfortable around the price point of the Appartamento so approx £1000 give or take, selling the Sage will obviously contribute to the cost a little. I'd rather upgrade once and get it right as opposed to buy a better mid-range machine then change it again in a year or so.

Any other machines worth looking at as well as the Appartamento? Sage Dual Boiler? I know there are a few Bezzera's around that sort of money as well.

Soldato
Current Tassimo is starting to pack it in now so after a new machine. I don't fancy going for another pod but not sure what would be best for us.

Budget is nothing extravagant and will likely pick up second hand bits to lower, so whats best to go for entry level?

Theres a Delonghi Dedica I've been looking how would that do second hand?

When it comes to grinder Im clueless, if im going entry level am I better off going hand burr or blade electric?

Associate
Seconded for avoiding blade grinders.

@nantucket66 I found myself in your position fairly recently, looking at purchasing a DTP or Silvia, knowing full well I would be upgrading soonish if I did I decided to step up to where I thought I would end up and that was an Appartamento. I absolutely love it and don't regret it at all. I'm not sure I'd consider the Sage dual boiler in the same league personally, in aesthetics or build.

Keep in mind though I am happy to spend lots of time learning how to get the best from my machine and don't mind weighing my beans into the grinder/shot out. :)

Side note, I managed to snag this job lot of ACME cups from ebay for £41 the other day :)

39174470380_112f60f653.jpg

Back
Top Bottom