Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
After spending a lot of time over the last few years looking and considering buying a machine, I finally pulled the trigger.

I've been using the Aeropress with pre-ground coffee so decided to buy a grinder, ordered the Sage Smart Grinder Pro and some scales. Then I saw that AO have the Sage Duo Temp Pro for £239 and thought, well it's not much more now.

It's going to be fun learning how to use it, I have been reading and watching videos.

I need to buy some cheap beans to practice with, any recommendations from supermarkets? I can go to Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys, Aldi, Lidl or even try Dobbies.

Caporegime
No point buying cheap beans to practice with because they'll be quite different from the beans you actually want to drink. Likewise quite a difference between any bean, cheap or not. Buy whatever it is you like the look of and go for it. Plenty of YouTube videos and blogs about calibrating a shot to help you out.

Soldato
Thinking about buying this (DeLonghi Magnifica abeam to cup) or would I be better with a gagia classic and grinder? I like the bean to cup aspect and seems a good price. Open to suggestions and Wouldn’t want to spending more than £250.
from hotuk ... do thery share same internals ?
DeLonghi ESAM2800 Cafe Corso Bean to Cup Coffee Machine - NOW £157.49 w/code @ Argos ebay

Soldato
No point buying cheap beans to practice with because they'll be quite different from the beans you actually want to drink. Likewise quite a difference between any bean, cheap or not. Buy whatever it is you like the look of and go for it. Plenty of YouTube videos and blogs about calibrating a shot to help you out.

Good point. I went to a local cafe, they sold me a bag of Union coffee beans, roasted only 11 days ago. Hopefully they will be good enough while I figure out what I'm doing.

Soldato
I did it, I actually did it! I pulled a drinkable shot. I put several down the sink yesterday, one more this morning and then I got a drinkable espresso.

I used the double basket, 18g dose and over ran slightly for 42g output in 32 seconds. My scales are a bit slow, I have ordered another set with a timer.

I hope I can replicate it.

Man of Honour
42g is fine. I know people shoot for a 2:1 or even 1.5:1 ratio for shots. *so 18g in would be 36g or 27g out* But, I see absolutely nothing wrong with longer shots. I generally go for 18g in and 45g out, but it depends on what coffee I am using.

Soldato
Thanks.

I did another this afternoon and it was just as good. I also made a Cappuccino/Latte (need to learn the difference, milk to coffee ratio?) for my gf and she was impressed, though it wasn't quite hot enough. She said it was about the same as what she would get in a cafe.

Caporegime
Thanks.

I did another this afternoon and it was just as good. I also made a Cappuccino/Latte (need to learn the difference, milk to coffee ratio?) for my gf and she was impressed, though it wasn't quite hot enough. She said it was about the same as what she would get in a cafe.

It's basically the ratio to milk/foam. You will notice Latte is not listed as Latte is not a thing in Italy but Latte is basically espresso and the rest is hot milk with no foam.

uWDYQ3c.jpg

Caporegime
@Raymond Lin "caffé latte" bottom left :p

Latte is literally "milk."

If you go to a particularly stuck up café in Italy (of which there are plenty) and ask for Latte, they will just give you a cup of milk with a side serving of derision. Though anywhere even familiar with tourists will know what you really mean. Caffé latte is "milky coffee".

Soldato
Any idea if the Sage Duo Temp Pro would be an improvement over my De'Longhi Dedica Style EC685M?

Can pick up the Sage for £215 off AO on eBay right now... I already have the Sage Grinder Pro.

Thanks all.

Caporegime
@Raymond Lin "caffé latte" bottom left :p

Latte is literally "milk."

If you go to a particularly stuck up café in Italy (of which there are plenty) and ask for Latte, they will just give you a cup of milk with a side serving of derision. Though anywhere even familiar with tourists will know what you really mean. Caffé latte is "milky coffee".

Lol so there is, I had a quick glance and expected to be near the top so when i didn't see it…..spoke too soon.

I went to Italy a few times and at no time I was brave enough to ask for a latte….Cappuccino every time, just in case.

Soldato

Thanks for the link Nick. Seems there's not much in it, certainly not worth jumping from one to the other. Have to admit, I didn't know you could program the Dedica... :/

I've been brewing espresso for about a year now, playing around with different settings (i.e. grinds) and such and really want to upgrade to a full size tamper and something with a bit more kick. Sometimes making two coffees straight the Dedica struggles on the second pull.

If I were to be spending around between £300-£500 what would you recommend? Don't mind buying used.

Soldato
Thanks for the link Nick. Seems there's not much in it, certainly not worth jumping from one to the other. Have to admit, I didn't know you could program the Dedica... :/

I've been brewing espresso for about a year now, playing around with different settings (i.e. grinds) and such and really want to upgrade to a full size tamper and something with a bit more kick. Sometimes making two coffees straight the Dedica struggles on the second pull.

If I were to be spending around between £300-£500 what would you recommend? Don't mind buying used.

I read a few other comparisons and some said the Duo temp was a bit better, one advantage is the ability to go from steam to espresso quickly. Sadly the Duo temp has a 53.5 mm portafilter.

I'm afraid I'm very new to this and the DTP is the only machine I have used. I have signed up to coffee forums uk though and people there would be able to help. They also sell on there, just 5 posts needed.

Soldato
join coffee forums to see deals thread, start scanning local'ish gumtree.
A used heat exchanger machine / HX machine with stabler temp+steam, like a simonelli oscar or (UK manufactured) Fracino model, or Bezzera(i use)
Rockets(pretty too) and e61 machines are next tier more like £700+ used.

and some said the Duo temp was a bit better,
yes I think bit is the right word .. if you already have a dedica - stick, even new £125 vs >£200 ... resale value of a dtp maybe higher though.

Soldato
Does anyone here drink..... Decaf? I feel bad asking but sadly, it's been assessed that caffeine is causing me health problems. But I LOVE coffee. Is there such thing as a good decaf bean? :(

e; I'm aware that decaf still contains caffeine, it's not a deal breaker, it's not a huge issue if I consume small amounts however 2 Coffees a day is causing issues.

Last edited:
Soldato
join coffee forums to see deals thread, start scanning local'ish gumtree.
A used heat exchanger machine / HX machine with stabler temp+steam, like a simonelli oscar or (UK manufactured) Fracino model, or Bezzera(i use)
Rockets(pretty too) and e61 machines are next tier more like £700+ used.

yes I think bit is the right word .. if you already have a dedica - stick, even new £125 vs >£200 ... resale value of a dtp maybe higher though.

Will take a look. I've got an eBay alert for when the Sage Dual Boiler comes up in my area used, but they're very rare...

Does anyone here drink..... Decaf? I feel bad asking but sadly, it's been assessed that caffeine is causing me health problems. But I LOVE coffee. Is there such thing as a good decaf bean? :(

e; I'm aware that decaf still contains caffeine, it's not a deal breaker, it's not a huge issue if I consume small amounts however 2 Coffees a day is causing issues.

No idea on decaf but can I ask what health implications caffeine is having for you?

Soldato
Skin condition it's flaring up, it's not the end of the world but seems silly to ignore it.

I've had a couple of decaff's from online roasters (like Rave) and they've been ok. You could try finding a roastery somewhere near you that might let you sample some to find one that suits you. I don't know much about decaff, but there are a couple of different processes on making decaff and you might find one suits you better in either taste or caffeine content.

Back
Top Bottom