Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
I'll keep an eye on eBay and Amazon deals. Ideally I wanted one that auto tamps
not as good as Snookums deal but £313, there, today.

I don't understand auto tamp reference ... thats top end grinders https://www.lamarzoccousa.com/machine/la-marzocco-swift/ .. I'd posted on, before, re: baskets.

... cleaning grouphead at breakfast, I noticed dispersion screen, is developing a tear where the bolt goes through .. over zealous tightening

Caporegime
not as good as Snookums deal but £313, there, today.
Just ordered the Barista Express for £314 refurbished from XS with the PRICECUT15 voucher. Cheers.

Could have waited for an eBay discount too but not sure if you can stack them and that's a bargain in my eyes.

Hoping they send the right model / jug!

I guess these are all Sage's internet returns that have been slightly damaged in transit.

Soldato
Just ordered the Barista Express for £314 refurbished from XS with the PRICECUT15 voucher. Cheers.

Could have waited for an eBay discount too but not sure if you can stack them and that's a bargain in my eyes.

Hoping they send the right model / jug!

I guess these are all Sage's internet returns that have been slightly damaged in transit.

Congrats on the new purchase I'm sure you'll love it as much we love ours.

Yeah I got an exceptional bargain tbh, even second hand ones from coffeeforums go for the price of my refurb!

What model did you purchase the 75? If so that has the thermometer jug so if it doesn't arrive with it just one email and they will fix it no questions asked.

I think they are just any sage returns for any reason. Some may be damage in transit others may be DOA some may just be unwanted returns.

Any questions about the machine fire away and I'll see if I can help out.

Associate
I'm thinking of letting all my coffee gear go, I recently had a spell in hospital and since coming out I've had no taste for coffee at all and for nearly 2 months now the machine hasn't been turned on.

Has anyone had a similar situation and found this or found their love of coffee return?

Soldato
I'm thinking of letting all my coffee gear go, I recently had a spell in hospital and since coming out I've had no taste for coffee at all and for nearly 2 months now the machine hasn't been turned on.

Has anyone had a similar situation and found this or found their love of coffee return?
That's sad to hear! I certainly can go from "Can't resist having another coffee" to "Don't fancy the taste of a coffee" for long spells. Right now my kitchen's being refurbished and I've gone 9 weeks without any coffee at home. I've craved a proper coffee maybe once or twice in that time. Compare this to a year ago when it was two at work and one or two at home, daily.

Do you think it could be short term or are you really put off by coffee now?

Soldato

Not for that long, but I have had spells after being unwell or rundown where I don't want coffee. How much equipment are you talking about? Is there an advantage to letting it go now as opposed to in another couple of months?

Caporegime

I swing between brewing methods but always have a regular cup at least once in the morning. I can go a month making just drip coffee and then a month making americano.

Associate
I would usually be a pretty steady coffee drinker, probably 2-3 french press/mokka pot at work (long shifts) or 2-3 at home depending on my shifts. I've made one in the last two months and didn't finish it or really enjoy it like I used to. I'm hoping it's temporary but it wont hurt me to wait another month or so to see if things change, the equipment is a Rocket Appartamento, Mazzer Major with titanium burrs lots of accessories and a nice set of Acme cups, so nothing that's going to devalue drastically I wouldn't think.

Caporegime
I would usually be a pretty steady coffee drinker, probably 2-3 french press/mokka pot at work (long shifts) or 2-3 at home depending on my shifts. I've made one in the last two months and didn't finish it or really enjoy it like I used to. I'm hoping it's temporary but it wont hurt me to wait another month or so to see if things change, the equipment is a Rocket Appartamento, Mazzer Major with titanium burrs lots of accessories and a nice set of Acme cups, so nothing that's going to devalue drastically I wouldn't think.

I would try tea for a bit, taste buds does funny things with cravings.

Soldato
Yep 75. At least that's what it said on the auction.

Cheers for the offer of help with the machine. I may well be taking you up on that!

75 has the thermometer jug then so make sure you get it!

This woman showed me the way; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0O484KEC4Y

that and heston himself done a video on it but its a bit shorter and not indepth as to compare a bad pour to a good pour. Note it is the same machine its just they dont market it as Sage over the pond rather just as breville. (Breville make both machines its just over here it has hestons name put to it.)

Soldato
I've made one in the last two months and didn't finish it or really enjoy it like I used to. I'm hoping it's temporary but it wont hurt me to wait another month
you can make decent hot chocolate too with the steam ..I'd be further developing my technique there in the interim.

edit reminding myself of process
Thanks,

From discussion on flavoured coffees, in nespresso thread, was reminded of another(only other?) use for the espresso machine,
making hot chocolate with steamed milk - used to get these sometimes in ski resorts.
Attempts to make it had been unsuccesssful with previous espresso machine with less steam HP.
Process seems documented here

Last edited:
Soldato
The way I do it is to mix hot chocolate powder with boiling water to make a sort of syrup consistency at the bottom of a mug - no more than about 30-50ml. Then add steamed milk to it the way you would for a latte, you get a similar effect to pouring steamed milk into espresso. I think Hotel Chocolat make them a similar way in their cafe's.

KTawdP9m.jpg

Caporegime
Hot chocolates with steamed milk are amazing, and you can practice latte art with it too.
I do this. They taste far more decadent and luxurious than they really are, even with 1% milk. Best hot chocolate you can reasonably do at home!

The way I do it is very simply to foam up some milk directly in a mug like I was making a cappuccino, then just drop the chocolate powder into the hot milk and stir it.

Soldato
Steam chocolate milk or steam melt some Dairy milk until that's thick?

from the thread I linked ... so Barrys' stuff would be great
If you really want excellent hot chocolate, don't use powder. Instead melt chocolate chips that are used for baking and steam with milk. You can choose milk chocolate chips or my favorite, dark chocolate chips. It's a bit too intense for kiddies, but for adults, it's decadent chocolate goodness. Melt the chips in the bottom of the pitcher with the steam wand (or microwave them in a Pyrex cup), then add milk. Steam and stir.

Back
Top Bottom