Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
That is one hell of a machine! New business or just new to the business? Either way congrats!

New business mate. From Scratch.

Thats not even an expensive one...Which at £9k makes my bum hole twitch....lol

It can do 600 cups a day. which covers me and the staff and 20 or so customers..lol

Only opened on Sat. with minimal marketing as we want to crawl before we walk and then run in the summer

Soldato
New business mate. From Scratch.

Thats not even an expensive one...Which at £9k makes my bum hole twitch....lol

It can do 600 cups a day. which covers me and the staff and 20 or so customers..lol

Only opened on Sat. with minimal marketing as we want to crawl before we walk and then run in the summer

one hell of a congrats then!

9k is still an expensive commercial set up! You can get good commerical set ups for 5-6k, but coffee is one of the main things that gets me returning places so its a wise investment.

Mind if I ask where your based/the name of the place?

Soldato
Good stuff ... do you have a dedicated barista ?

Edinburgh based on atkinsons coffee, and is that churchill stonecast china (my favourite)

... and ... is chocolate on the menu ?

Soldato
Good stuff ... do you have a dedicated barista ?

Edinburgh based on atkinsons coffee, and is that churchill stonecast china (my favourite)

... and ... is chocolate on the menu ?

Yep Atkinsons coffee. We travelled far and wide in search of a decent coffee backed up with a decent history and nice people

Yes proper chocolate is on the menu

We are interviewing a Barista tomorrow. We've had training but nothing beats experience

Soldato
Soldato
Is it in that building or have you taken over the little underground one?

Either way if I am ever up there I will be sure to stop by for a bite. And best of luck to you!

I have both now. They kinda came as a package.

Let me know and I'll sort a decent discount. I think I've said a big discount for forum members before

Soldato
I have both now. They kinda came as a package.

Let me know and I'll sort a decent discount. I think I've said a big discount for forum members before

How you doing it then? Top more of a day time/cafe and bottom dinner/drinks?

Wouldn't expect a discount anyway. Good to help the independents out! Is it still follow the tapas vibes of the previous owners or changing it up completely?

Soldato
We've changed it a bit to be honest. Still small plates but moving away form the tapas. We are still finding our feet. "tapas" wasn't really working or the previous chef couldn't make it work. Poss knee jerk reaction was to change the menu simplify and enhance.

We ended up with

Still some tapa dishes but moving away.
Feedback has been fantastic with a number of returning customers. But when its quiet its really quiet. We still need to get on top of social media and the website is still being worked on etc.

Man of Honour
I really like the San Remo machines. Absolutely love the Opera and Cafe Racer. Dave and Andrew are lovely guys too. Spent more than a few days in their company at various UKBC competitions.
White wouldn't be my choice, just from the fact it'll look constantly dirty. ;)

Atkinsons, good coffee though. :D

Soldato
I really like the San Remo machines. Absolutely love the Opera and Cafe Racer. Dave and Andrew are lovely guys too. Spent more than a few days in their company at various UKBC competitions.
White wouldn't be my choice, just from the fact it'll look constantly dirty. ;)

Atkinsons, good coffee though. :D

I also liked the cafe racer but $$$

One of the reasons we chose white was that I will be checking to make sure the staff keep it clean which is easier when it stands out.... And also it fits in with the decor and they had a white grinder going cheap.

Soldato
Southport isn't a million miles away from me, I'll be sure to pop in for something if we take a daytrip out when the weather finally picks up :D

Always welcome.

We get a lot of day trippers from North Wales as we have a coach drop off and pick up point right outside our doors.

Caporegime
Well my Barista Express arrived and I've got an issue.

When using a single shot / basket (non-pressurised), the machine's pressure goes right up into the high range and it pours a good shot.

When using the double basket (also non-pressurised) with double shot button, it pours way too quickly and results in a wet puck and undrinkable shot.

I'm tamping etc. in exactly the same way and have reset the programming on the machine.

Any ideas gratefully received (@Snookums)!

Associate
Someone posted this brilliant vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMgB61WyvE

My question is - I have the Delonghi Magnifica ESAM 4000 - is the steam wand on this good enough to be able to produce the layered, textured milk, like the baristas do?

I've tried for a long time to get this right and I'm wondering if it's not the technique at fault, but the equipment.

Man of Honour
I also liked the cafe racer but $$$

One of the reasons we chose white was that I will be checking to make sure the staff keep it clean which is easier when it stands out.... And also it fits in with the decor and they had a white grinder going cheap.

Yeah, they're not cheap.

But I have found the video that drove me insane for 4 days....

Soldato
Well my Barista Express arrived and I've got an issue.

When using a single shot / basket (non-pressurised), the machine's pressure goes right up into the high range and it pours a good shot.

When using the double basket (also non-pressurised) with double shot button, it pours way too quickly and results in a wet puck and undrinkable shot.

I'm tamping etc. in exactly the same way and have reset the programming on the machine.

Any ideas gratefully received (@Snookums)!

Dumb question but you are setting the machine to be grinding and pouring for doubles yes? and you are using the single walled basket?

Caporegime
Dumb question but you are setting the machine to be grinding and pouring for doubles yes? and you are using the single walled basket?

Yes and yes.

Just tried the double-walled pressurised basket and this was the result. Expresso spraying everywhere. Wtf?!

4lbo1Cmh.jpg

N7B4b7bh.jpg

The portafilter was very snugly in place. No idea what's going on.

ZOoZVvFh.jpg

Edit - seems the grind was too fine (because I can't get it to build pressure with the double basket) so it blocked the holes of the pressurised basket.

Now back to the original problem! Pressure builds fine using the double shot button with the pressurised basket and no coffee!

Can only be tamping technique I guess...or the basket isn't fitting into the portafilter properly?

Come back ESAM4200, all is forgiven! :p

Back
Top Bottom