Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Man of Honour
OP
what means have you got to do that ... are the glass cups your principal goto, versus ceramic ?

I'm using the glass cups on top for espresso and pouring into the measured glass at the moment. No means to check the temp at the moment so i'd have to pick something up to do so...

I am feeling the MC2 is holding me back a touch, need to work out a replacement asap

Soldato
I'm using the glass cups on top for espresso and pouring into the measured glass at the moment. No means to check the temp at the moment so i'd have to pick something up to do so...

I'm always on the lookout, for preferably borosilicate/pyrex single wall glasses - had wondered about getting some 100ml lab beakers, and improvising handles with stainless wire.

tempersture measurement : the kis solution of just running water into a polystyrene cup with a fast response (meat type) probe is what I'd like to try .. but I haven't found a fast probe.

My modest set up!
why don't you grind, on demand, directly into pf ? steam/moisture concern ? 14g of coffee at the base of the metal canister would be a bit 'lost'

Soldato
Got my Neighbourhood Coffee delivery (nice and quick). Other half is sold on their silly pun names and hand written note.

Smells good, but I'm already over my caffeine ration for the day, try some tomorrow :)

Soldato
Got my Neighbourhood Coffee delivery (nice and quick). Other half is sold on their silly pun names and hand written note.

Smells good, but I'm already over my caffeine ration for the day, try some tomorrow :)

I've been a Neighbourhood fan for a while now and get most of my coffee from them, they're local to me so I like supporting them.. I mainly buy it for the note though! :D

Soldato
I've been a Neighbourhood fan for a while now and get most of my coffee from them, they're local to me so I like supporting them.. I mainly buy it for the note though! :D

Tried the You've Got A Blend In Me this morning, got lucky and dialled in perfect first pull.

Man, it is fruity, really hits you first with the blackberries. This might take the favourite espresso blend crown off Stronghold :)

Soldato
um - I stopped using vacu vin (pinch them ?) maybe 10 years ago, and re-purposed the bungs for wine,
maybe if you have multiple coffees on the go they help, but they take more mollicoddling(breakable) than just putting a peg on the bags, from which you can also pour more accurately onto scales, for single dosing.

[
they're all at it -

50072701588_635e3765ed_o_d.jpg

]

Caporegime
yer, slightly disappointed the vacu vin coffee saver i've been using for years didn't do quite so well - although he missed the easy way to open it :) would have been good to have a comparison to just keeping it in the bag...

I suspect a sealed bag would be like a sealed jar.

The differences is very small anyway and if you drink it within the first 2 weeks I suspect the benefits of a vacuum jar is even less so.

Soldato
Can any one recommend a budget grinder for me? I've got a Mignon at home but in work I use a manual grinder and after several years I feel it's time for something that's a bit less hassle. I toyed with the idea treating myself to a Niche Zero and taking the Mignon into work but I can't really justify that at the moment and the Mignon would be overkill for my work use. I've been looking at the MC2 and Sage Smart Grinder. I'm leaning towards the MC2 because it's a lot cheaper and it looks like there is less to go wrong with it, however is the Sage much better or easier to use? I don't have an espresso machine in the office (yet) and only grind for a couple Aeropress coffees a day using the same beans for a couple weeks.

Caporegime
Buckled under the imaginary peer pressure in this thread and ordered some coffee from Origin. Stronghold's (a blend) tasting notes caught my attention and it's really quite nice. It's super mellow compared to what I usually like (single origins tend to have more body IME) but so so silky. Next time I'm going to try Das Almas or just copy you lot and order some San Fermin. :)

Back
Top Bottom