Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
in terms of work flow -
if you're not single dosing the grinder, I'd assumed you had to decant the ground coffee from the grinder into the basket, since you wouldn't be able to grind a particular
weight accurately enough, stopping the grinder in time (so over/under shoot), unless its a grinder with inbuilt weighing like the settes.
although, perhaps you can get +/-1g accuracy, if the grinder is not too fast.

is your basket the correct size for the pf you have?
Ridgeless ims 18g competition(un-competed so far), after much ooming & arring back down thread ... so, more susceptible to self ejection into the bin.
After I've dropped the pre-ground single dose in from the grinder hopper, before tamping, the coffee is usually peaked above the edge,

Soldato
AeroPress arrived today... Going to give it a try with metal, mesh and paper filters then see how I feel. I may let my bean-to-cup go as it's neither as convenient as I'd like, nor as tasty as I'd like.

Man of Honour
OP
I may let my bean-to-cup go as it's neither as convenient as I'd like, nor as tasty as I'd like.
How does the b2c fall short convenience wise, surely that's the whole point? (Not being funny, just interested)

Personally I found the aeropress more of a faff than a v60, chemex or clever dripper... But I guess it's a different thing.

Soldato
How does the b2c fall short convenience wise, surely that's the whole point? (Not being funny, just interested)

Personally I found the aeropress more of a faff than a v60, chemex or clever dripper... But I guess it's a different thing.
It's time I suppose - I still have to turn it on, wait, etc. So while it's less work than grinder and espresso machine, it's no quicker. Plus I tend to flip between decaf and regular depending on time of day - which means still weighing into the B2C. Seems to defeat the purpose.

I tried the AeroPress. Nice cup of coffee, good and strong but longer than I can stretch an espresso. Pretty happy but as mentioned, lots of faff and prep. Hopefully I can streamline the steps but at this rate, it was hard to multitask with making tea for my girlfriend.

I guess that my benchmark, can I double team tea and coffee making conveniently!

Caporegime
I found aeropress so much faff I gave it away to someone on here years ago. I didn’t find it to make better coffee than drip coffee and it involves to many bits.

I’m really liking the workflow now with weighing the beans before grinding, boiling the kettle, grind, tamp then pull a shot. Almost every shot now with 18.5g in will do a 40g shot in around 25-30s so I’m very happy. Consistency has gone way up.

Soldato
Caporegime
that's a lot of coffee - I'd need a bigger boat .... I'm mean, 14g double , x4, a day
https://www.home-barista.com/tips/brewing-ratios-for-espresso-beverages-t2402.html

I have 1 a day. You have 4 cups a day?

I guess I watched too much James Hoffmann, or online coffee vid, they are all 18g so I have been doing that. It doesn’t really matter anyway since

1 - I have at most 2 cups a day, and never one after the other, it’s normally morning and then late afternoon

2 - Half the time I have 20% of the cup left for some reason.

Some days I don’t even have any coffee, I went through a few days without coffee during lockdown and I suffer no headaches or withdrawal.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
classic italian espresso was always a 14g double but since that post was made (and this thread started) modern espresso has a (bad?) habit of going larger on the dose - doubles around 18g is about normal. I'm experimenting with 19g at the moment but might try and bring that down a little - three tripples a day probably isn't good!

Caporegime
Meh I just follow my tastebuds. I try to repeat the measurements of a nice tasting cup but I'm not a complete stickler for it anymore. Too much effort/time/care wasted on chasing the perfectly repeated cup of coffee. If the last one tasted a bit light and was at 16g then I'll try 16.5ish next time and so on.

Soldato
I get the impression the next tier of quality is at least twice the price. In hindsight for home use I'd probably go with a Mignon, but for a second unit or keeping under £200 would stick with the MC2.

That was my thinking, I didn't want to be spending a fortune and my Mignon would be wasted in work. I went with the MC2 in the end, it'll be a step up from manual grinding at any rate and as I'm keeping the same grind for a few weeks I can't see any issues with it. For the price it seems hard to beat!

Although this has now sent me down the rabbit hole of looking at Chemex/V60 etc as a change to the Aeropress..

Back
Top Bottom