Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Associate
Anything better than the Wifa Svart for around £100?

For a courser grind the Svart seems a good option. I've also seen the Encore recommended, although I'm not sure on UK availability for Baratza products.

For more grind flexibility the Iberital MC2 is £130. I also have an Aerspeed from Knock which is a really solid hand grinder for £90ish.

Associate
For the price it seems hard to beat!

I couldn't agree more. If only there was less of a shelf for the grinds to sit on...:rolleyes:.

Although this has now sent me down the rabbit hole of looking at Chemex/V60 etc as a change to the Aeropress..

I'm finding plenty of new rabbit holes to fall down. Baskets? Timer scales? Dosing funnel? bottomless portafilter?

Soldato
I think it's time to upgrade from my Hario hand grinder.

Anything better than the Wifa Svart for around £100?

https://www.pactcoffee.com/grinders/wilfa-svart-grinder-silver

I've just had exactly the same dilemma and ended up with the Iberital MC2. :)

I'm finding plenty of new rabbit holes to fall down. Baskets? Timer scales? Dosing funnel? bottomless portafilter?

Oh I've already gone deep down those rabbit holes, I've only resurfaced to improve my coffee making in work!

Soldato
Today was a productive day. My steam wand has been leaking for ages and slowly getting worse so I thought it was about time I sorted it with a new one. I figured while I had the machine apart, I might as well strip it properly, clean the boiler and replace all the gaskets as well. Luckily my boiler was no where near the state of some I've seen online although it does look a lot better inside now. The gaskets were all completely solid though! At least Gaggias are easy to work with, getting the boiler out was fairly straightforward, the longest part was waiting for everything to soak in descaler!

IRHidaOl.jpg

Soldato
two embedded heater coils interesting .. addiitonal one is for steam , I guess you kept the ceramic out of the descaler fluid
Did you use any grease on seals ?

Soldato
two embedded heater coils interesting .. addiitonal one is for steam , I guess you kept the ceramic out of the descaler fluid
Did you use any grease on seals ?

I just used a tiny bit of grease on the seals. Most of the videos I watched didn't bother though. I was wary of getting the ceramics wet but apparently it's not a massive problem if you do. It just means it'll short when you fire it up but that's easily solved by disconnecting the earth and turning it on for 30 seconds (being careful not to touch the metal). The steam wand is fantastic now, I just wish I'd done it sooner!

Soldato
Checking the web for any new shot glass options
these look a better shape than a lot of the double walled ones, and less fragile
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Melitta-Espresso-Double-Walled-Borosilicate-Microwave/dp/B00TF69J3Y

Is there a line on these? don't espresso shot glasses have a small line on them (30ml?) Last one i bought was a cheap one from Algerian Coffee stores in Soho back in January. Its tough but the line has gone already, washed off in the dishwasher. I just guess now as I dont have a set of scales small enough to measure the shot.

Soldato
Is there a line on these? don't espresso shot glasses have a small line on them (30ml?) Last one i bought was a cheap one from Algerian Coffee stores in Soho back in January. Its tough but the line has gone already, washed off in the dishwasher. I just guess now as I dont have a set of scales small enough to measure the shot.

The broken lavazza one I had, had a line, but these don't , but they@80ml look fairly cylindical, versus, all peers I've seen, so easier to estimate;
rarely use a dishwasher, and I probably wouldn't put these glasses, or my espresso cups in them anyway.

Soldato
these higher summer ambiant temperatures , definitely modifying/reducing my extraction times, beans are glistening, and crema reduced.
I probably need to keep grinder out of sunlight, since heat capacity of burrs probably doesn's help.

No one has the Melitta's then ?

Man of Honour
OP
you shouldn't really be measuring your espresso by volume, thats so 2008 ;) the volume will vary massively with the extraction, temperature and beans - much better off getting a small £6 jewellery scale and going by weight.

Inspired by Hoffman's latest video I gave espresso tonic another go yesterday - had it in a cafe last time and it was horrible, but apparently that was down to the tonic and espresso being horrible - this was great:

okCRGarl.jpg

Fever Tree Elderflower Tonic and a double Rwandan Peaberry from Black Cat (which so far i rate very highly - lovely fruity, blueberry flavours)

Soldato
Lifes too short to weigh/count the beans on the way out into the grinder, as well as the extract weight, 4 times a day.
some (brew) manufacturer must be contemplating embedding a scale though.
- Watching the extract through glass goes a long way to appraising it.

I see the Delonghi ECAM 23.420 is on offer at currys for £350.
unless you really require the volume, shots/day, I'd go for barista express, or components; the cleaning obligations on an auto always look tedious.

descaled my machine 3 weeks ago, but, hadn't use the hot water tap since completing the wash through --- today found it was giving blue water - wth,
how do I improve my rinsing.

Back
Top Bottom