Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Man of Honour
OP
How do you work with the portafilter being that close to the wall ?
its exactly the right distance to fit it in :) - makes it easier to align in some respects.

Just saw the James Hoffman video on the new Fellows Ode Grinder...glad I didn't order it, it looks good but doesn't look like the work flow is as easy as the Niche with far more retention not to mention it barely goes fine enough for a single cup V60? That's no good.

not had a chance to watch it yet, but thats a real shame, looks wise its a lovely grinder

Soldato
stepped through his Ode review ...
I thought the grind control would be adjusting vertical bur carrier via a bevel gear, or a servo
... but, no, the grinder is horizontal - lol - definitely form over function, is there any president for that ?
design looks like the volume control on a hi fi amplifier eg audiolab.

Conversely I'd select one of these, for the Miss World Grinder, title.
Mahlkonig Peak & K30 Coffee Grinder Comparison

Soldato
Hi All,

So after my initial posts and using my mocha pot a lot, i finally jumped on board and brought a Barrista Express on the early black Friday deals @ £400 (minus a £50 voucher i had - thanks quotemehappy).

I'm just in the process of dialing in, with the Lavazza Rosso beans. So far, its been pretty tricky. Has anyone else used this combo?

I'm already on the finest grind, with a bean weight of 16g (double). Anything more then 16g just spills everywhere. I've resorted to grinding into a separate cup and spooning in (might be a way to add more beans -yet to try).

Having found a number of guides on ratio, seconds and weight it all seems to go on trial and error. I'm aiming for a ratio of about 1:3 (just my preference) with the standard target time of 20-30 secs, it has been pretty difficult to get. I wonder if im not tampering hard enough

Is it normal to be using such a fine grind amount almost instantly? Be great to here if anyone else has used these beans with this machine.

Thanks

Man of Honour
OP
As DJ said your first problem will be the beans - get something fresh and you'll find that you should be able to choke the machine (or at-least get closer to 1:2) - they may also be denser so you'll be able to get more like 18g into the basket (you are using the 2 cup single walled basket aren't you?)

Soldato
Fine grind: Yep
Trial and Error: Welcome to espresso.
Lavazza beans: Sack those off, there's much better out there. HasBean is a thread favourite supplier, for one place to try.

Welcome :)

Thanks - other beans are on the list at some point. I went with the Lavazza Rosso as we used that in my mocha :)

1:3 is the lungo ratio.

For me right now I don't see any issue with the 1:3 ratio at 15g. It could be the beans I'm using, it tastes and looks fine.

As DJ said your first problem will be the beans - get something fresh and you'll find that you should be able to choke the machine (or at-least get closer to 1:2) - they may also be denser so you'll be able to get more like 18g into the basket (you are using the 2 cup single walled basket aren't you?)

Now that's interesting, as I said earlier I found it extremely messy to get anything over 15g into the basket (yes I'm using the 2 cup :)) I haven't been able to actually choke the machine yet, but I believe I have one more setting to go down on the grind scale.

For the moment I may need to stay as I am, use the beans I have and then look for some alternatives. Thanks for your inputs all, I will play a little more later and see how I get on :)

Last edited:
Soldato
that's great, I see the mara has a rs232 interface, I'd thought you installed a temperature probe of some kind from your earlier post
so next is a temp graph during cooling shot or brewing ?

Soldato
Probably a swear word in here. But have any of you used an automatic bean 2 cup machine with any success?

looking for something which would be a press of the button espresso. (Not bell espresso or any of that capsule nonsense)
I see there are a few on the market but unsure if it’s worth spending the money on them or just ponying up and buying a “real” machine instead?

Soldato
Probably a swear word in here. But have any of you used an automatic bean 2 cup machine with any success?

looking for something which would be a press of the button espresso. (Not bell espresso or any of that capsule nonsense)
I see there are a few on the market but unsure if it’s worth spending the money on them or just ponying up and buying a “real” machine instead?
DeLonghi ESAM 4000 / 4200 is quite popular in here. Just a colour difference between those two model numbers. I have one and I'm still on the fence, but haven't convinced myself to go back to manual espresso yet. So, I'd say it's as good or better than budget espresso machines like the one I had.

Soldato
DeLonghi ESAM 4000 / 4200 is quite popular in here. Just a colour difference between those two model numbers. I have one and I'm still on the fence, but haven't convinced myself to go back to manual espresso yet. So, I'd say it's as good or better than budget espresso machines like the one I had.
Cool thanks. Will take a look at them.

Man of Honour
OP
so next is a temp graph during cooling shot or brewing ?

I'm playing around with a screen to display the brew temp at the moment - i'm actually not too worried about graphing it as the brew temp is pretty stable once warmed up (see previous arguments ;)) I do want to work out a countdown to coffee arrangement - from cold I know how long its going to be, but it keeps heat well so after lunch its usually about 1/2 the time.

The real purpose of the screen and Pi is two fold - how long until the machines up-to temperature and how automating the timing of the shot. The timer is the next main step...

Associate
The ESAM 4200 is good given that it is one of the cheapest machines available. I do want a proper setup, but only since getting the Delonghi, I wasn't interested before. It has also become clear that whilst I would enjoy the trainee barista process somewhat my wife has no interest and usually will not even make herself a latte, so there is clearly a balance between quality and practicality.

Soldato
Have just seen this also which is sub £200 and made by breville (which is sage I believe)

breville VCF125

James Hoffman is where I normally go for information but he’s not ever reviewed this nor was it mentioned in his budget machine review.
In fact I can’t find it mentioned much at all.
The next step up in price was the sage duo temp pro which I can find more info on.

automatic machines I’ve found one by melitta
Which is reasonable priced but again not
Much in the way of reviews.

Man of Honour
OP
Just saw the James Hoffman video on the new Fellows Ode Grinder...

Finally got round to watching the video - feels like its close but not quite there, still did well on kickstarter but as per the video it felt more of an advertising technique than anything else.

What was more exciting was the lagom p64 and weber EG-1 in the background - looking forward to that review :)

Associate

I’ve got the ECAM 23 something. I’m fairly sure that the internals will be very similar. In hindsight I would not get the automatic milk steamer. I have moved towards americano style for most drinks, so not worth it unless you will use frequently.

Coffee is definitely a step up from nespresso and can make some very good coffee easily and enjoy some great beans. Drinks taste far better than nespresso.

Obviously can’t comment of how it fares against a manual machine. I am tempted to change in the future, but the majority of my coffee is had at 5:30am so wanted to keep it simple.

Soldato
I’ve got the ECAM 23 something. I’m fairly sure that the internals will be very similar. In hindsight I would not get the automatic milk steamer. I have moved towards americano style for most drinks, so not worth it unless you will use frequently.

Coffee is definitely a step up from nespresso and can make some very good coffee easily and enjoy some great beans. Drinks taste far better than nespresso.

Obviously can’t comment of how it fares against a manual machine. I am tempted to change in the future, but the majority of my coffee is had at 5:30am so wanted to keep it simple.

yeah im not bothered about any milk frothing, i have americano 100% of the time.

just wanted something easy, quick but good tasting.

Soldato
I purchased an Autentica ETAM 29.510.SB this week for £399 and have just today taken a delivery of beans from Black Cat Coffee. The difference between these and generic Taylors of Harrogate beans that I initially tried has been night and day. Just having the machine pour me my first espresso had me blown away at the freshness and thickness of it.

The machine does what it is meant to do very well and I needed something that was slim for my kitchen. It guzzles water with it's 1.4L tank but other then that and the heaps of plastic all around I can't see any negatives.

Back
Top Bottom