Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Associate
Have you ordered the Oracle? I'm so tempted to grab one while on offer as I don't have the time to get back into fine tuning of a separate grinder and machine, it seems perfect for my wants but I'm struggling to justify the cost at the moment, might have to wait and hope I can get a good price around bonus time.
No I went for the express. I want one with a built in timer so it’ll turn on before I wake up, but they look expensive

Soldato
No I went for the express. I want one with a built in timer so it’ll turn on before I wake up, but they look expensive

the express is tempting as I used to own a decent machine and grinder before so I would have no issues using it, I just like the idea of an all in one very minimal involvement unit, I don't think ill be getting anything till next year so I'd love to hear some feedback on the express once you've have chance to give it a going over though :)

Soldato
Oracles a bit dated now with machines like the Mara, profiled pre-infusion, I didn't know oracle had much tech, other than being a double boiler for high workload+stability.

No good deals on the bambino, like the £200 at start of the year, but it looks as though sage slotted a new machine in at start of range, to prop the price,
have seen some comments that the bambino has volumetric delivery, as well as its newer, thermojet/quick heat up, also in barista pro
but, no comments/reviews that the thermojet give more temp stability/better coffee, though.?

Associate
Just ordered a Barista Express. Been considering it for a while, was proper annoyed when I missed the black Friday deal. Will be moving from a delonghi esam 4200, so hoping to see a significant difference!

Last edited:
Soldato
have seen some comments that the bambino has volumetric delivery, as well as its newer, thermojet/quick heat up, also in barista pro
but, no comments/reviews that the thermojet give more temp stability/better coffee, though.?

looks like (like gaggia range), the Barista Express + DTP, are the better of the models and the new touch/lcd models with instant thermojet heating can't deliver espresso at the correct temperature - https://coffeeforums.co.uk/topic/44...-espresso-is-less-then-lukewarm-is-it-faulty/
so remove them from my christmas list.

Associate
@Adam-r Enjoy your machine,I have the same but in silver for about 4 years.Once you get familiar with it you'll be pulling great coffee :).

The coffee will be much better waiting a week or so after roast date.

Man of Honour
OP
Its here! But the coffee tastes like bigfoots dick :D
i'm not going to ask how you know... but time to start experimenting :D

quick and basic guide:

• Work out which (if any) bag has the oldest roast date, as Saint says it needs a week to rest ideally, sometimes two.
  • Next make sure you're not using a pressurised (dual wall) basket, you want to the one with lots of holes in the bottom.
  • Next you need to weigh everything
  • Zero your scales (you do have scales don't you?) with the portafilter on.
  • Grind coffee into the portafilter and work out how much you have in there weight wise.
  • Zero your scales with a cup on and use the double button on the machine (doubles are generally easier to get right than singles)
  • Weigh the espresso, you want to aim for around 1:2 in and out so 18g coffee = 36g of espresso out, adjust the grind to hit that magic 1:2 ratio - weight can vary but ratios work :)
  • if you want a longer drink pour it over boiled water - don't use water from the machine, it'll taste awful

Associate
Nice one - Had mine around 4/5 years now - used every day - totally bombproof!!

Get one before each game of Tarkov!
;);)
Now we have matching machines can I be in your tarkov gang? :D I’m lvl 1 on coffee and tarkov
i'm not going to ask how you know... but time to start experimenting :D

quick and basic guide:

• Work out which (if any) bag has the oldest roast date, as Saint says it needs a week to rest ideally, sometimes two.
  • Next make sure you're not using a pressurised (dual wall) basket, you want to the one with lots of holes in the bottom.
  • Next you need to weigh everything
  • Zero your scales (you do have scales don't you?) with the portafilter on.
  • Grind coffee into the portafilter and work out how much you have in there weight wise.
  • Zero your scales with a cup on and use the double button on the machine (doubles are generally easier to get right than singles)
  • Weigh the espresso, you want to aim for around 1:2 in and out so 18g coffee = 36g of espresso out, adjust the grind to hit that magic 1:2 ratio - weight can vary but ratios work :)
  • if you want a longer drink pour it over boiled water - don't use water from the machine, it'll taste awful
You’re right, it did taste awful out of the machine! My first attempt was with pre ground, in the single walled filter and I put 18g in and got 60g out. It tasted really bitter. When I get back later I’m going to grind some :)

Associate
Its here! But the coffee tastes like bigfoots dick :D

Es4Mm5M.jpg

Mine turned up today too. I emailed the roaster of the beans I'm using (Tynemouth Coffee Company - brilliant guys) and asked what settings they would typically dial in. They also supply the Barista Express and teach Sage specific classes so could provide a good starting point.

Grind setting 3, 19g to yield 40g Espresso at around 28 seconds.

Got almost exactly the same first go and it tasted unreal. I've used the same beans in the delonghi esam4200 and its night and day difference. Very happy.

Man of Honour
OP
Mine are really, really bitter - I think I'm battling against fresh beans maybe? They were roasted on the 27th.

Thats maybe a little early, it will get better with time but shouldn't be undrinkable. What sort of ratio are you getting (weight of grounds in vs espresso out) - too bitter usually suggests its over-extracted. Confusingly this means either your grinding too fine and not getting enough water through, or your running too much water through the coffee puck so you need to reduce the extraction time.

What ratio of grounds to espresso are you getting at the moment? As i remember it the sage has timed shot button so that shouldn't be a concern...

Associate
Thats maybe a little early, it will get better with time but shouldn't be undrinkable. What sort of ratio are you getting (weight of grounds in vs espresso out) - too bitter usually suggests its over-extracted. Confusingly this means either your grinding too fine and not getting enough water through, or your running too much water through the coffee puck so you need to reduce the extraction time.

What ratio of grounds to espresso are you getting at the moment? As i remember it the sage has timed shot button so that shouldn't be a concern...

Putting 18g in and getting 36-40g out depending on how accurately I can time the press.

It is getting better. It's much better as an americano.

I'm seeing that the pressure isn't getting up there, but if I increase the grind, it's far far too bitter/acidic.

Caporegime
Bitterness/acidity is what we call "Body" :p

What are you making? If you're drinking it neat then .. ja, it's meant to be bitter and acidic. :) If you're making some kind of steamed milk variant (flat-white/latte/etc) the sweetness and fats of the milk will tone that down but there will still be some bitterness because it's coffee after all :)

Soldato
yes - my experience is that if the beans are roasted too recent, I have to tighten the grinder down, otherwise you get a blond-gush, and generally,
I waste beans dialling in, if you were in a cafe, fine, but privately, it's more economic to wait.

Soldato
Waiting for the machine, it's due today. The coffee is here though :)

zjCDWyk.jpg

Just had a similar box arrive, just ran out of my first lot of the 'taster' bag yesterday so I have gone straight in for another one. I am only using an AeroPress but still getting very nice black coffee out of it.

Back
Top Bottom