Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Can anyone make any good recommendations for good quality decaf beans? I'm currently having some heatlh problems and been told to try and minimise my caffeine intake for the time being.

Any recommendations would be appreciated, so far I've only had the Swiss water decaf Columbian from Rave and it was quite nice.

Not tried their decaf myself but we got my sister these last year from Coffeeworks (run by Coffee Kev off of the YouTubes), and she was very pleased with them:

And this is the decaf option from my local roasters. Again not tried but have been a caffeinated regular of theirs for 3+ years now:

I find the Pulsar a better brew method than aeropress but imagine the aero is readily available probably cheaper. For milk tools I used a manual bodum option back in the day which was ok but I think effort wise get something you can plug in or has batteries.

I find the Pulsar a better brew method than aeropress but imagine the aero is readily available probably cheaper. For milk tools I used a manual bodum option back in the day which was ok but I think effort wise get something you can plug in or has batteries.
Never heard of the Pulsar until you posted. It nearly double the price. Seems easier than pressing?

The Pulsar is a combination of zero bypass and immersion brewing from the looks of it, very different to the pressure extraction you get with the aeropress.

The zero bypass brewers are more of an evolution on the V60 / pour over brewers, using a flat base with a filter on it, and then the pulsar has a 'flow control' so you can run it as an immersion brewer - seems pretty neat but expensive :)

Thinking about getting an AeroPress and wanted to pair with an electric milk frother jug.
So many options on Amazon. Anyone got a decent recommendation?
i got the Dualit milk frother, it "good enough" for what it does, but you not do any art with it. it does make v good hot chocolate (using real chocolate)

Dualit is the same as the (ex) hotel chocolates bod's $$$ priced velvetizer, but questions on drink temperature is what puts me off,
so for the parents with a microwave the bodum one that could go into that, after, or before, it is throthed seems interesting, some degree of energetic manual work though.

I don't understand whether if you throth milk cold and then heat it/uwave whether taste/texture is very close to heating&stretching with a machine steam wand,
which I do for chocolate.

Dualit is the same as the (ex) hotel chocolates bod's $$$ priced velvetizer, but questions on drink temperature is what puts me off,
so for the parents with a microwave the bodum one that could go into that, after, or before, it is throthed seems interesting, some degree of energetic manual work though.

I don't understand whether if you throth milk cold and then heat it/uwave whether taste/texture is very close to heating&stretching with a machine steam wand,
which I do for chocolate.

I saw this in Robert Dyas yesterday and was wondering the same thing. It's partly why started looking at decent electric jug options to warm the milk same time and froth it.

I saw this in Robert Dyas yesterday and was wondering the same thing
amazon do the bodum - so if it didn't work could return it - I'm mercenary on such purchases, pushing plunger 60times would be a bit much for my parents.

Randomly found 8 Cup Bodum French Press at the back of the cupboard. Probably gifted and forgotten all about it. Any recommendations on ground coffee can pickup from supermarket to get me going and upgrade from instant?

most anything will be an upgrade, try stuff from union or Taylors but ultimately look out for anything with a roast date (thats not too long ago)

Also tried the Samo Bloom pour over thing from Btone above - promising first try with less bitterness on the aftertaste so will keep trying it :)

Last edited:
Profitec GO seems like a pretty good option from the reviews, single boiler with same footprint as a gaggia classic but with a built in PID and shot timer + pressure gauge (no adjustment but thats not surprising sub £1.5k) & about £770 so a little budget for a cheap stop gap grinder.

This looks interesting as a budget espresso machine with PID.

yes not bad - versus silvia, somewhat no opv, in exchange for a PID, which would help with multiple shots.

tear-down and cleaned rocky grinder - I forget how oily the residue is that accumulates where beans hit the lower burr centre,
failed to time it, to see if the grind rate is now faster as the beans flow better - maybe pop-corning reduced too.

Can anyone make any good recommendations for good quality decaf beans? I'm currently having some heatlh problems and been told to try and minimise my caffeine intake for the time being.

Any recommendations would be appreciated, so far I've only had the Swiss water decaf Columbian from Rave and it was quite nice.
This is the best decaf I've found after a long time trying different roasters. Most decaf are dark roast to hide the effects of the process, but this one is a nice medium/light and genuinely difficult to tell from a caffeinated cup.

yes not bad - versus silvia, somewhat no opv, in exchange for a PID, which would help with multiple shots.

tear-down and cleaned rocky grinder - I forget how oily the residue is that accumulates where beans hit the lower burr centre,
failed to time it, to see if the grind rate is now faster as the beans flow better - maybe pop-corning reduced too.
Best thing about the niche is how quick you can get in to clean the burrs and chamber. Builds up pretty quick, I usually do it and recalibrate 6 times a year now. Old mazzer was never cleaned until the day before I sold it :(

Think bellabarista may have gone a little off their trolly with their newest coffee:

vexNeS3.png

:eek:

Getting through my first order from Wogan and 2nd order now arrived

1st one was monthly special Ethiopia BANKO GOTITI G1 plus Colombia Finca La Laguna Reserva

1st of those was definitely interesting very different smell when grinding (and also tough on grinder), taste interesting and definitely different (!) but a bit acidic for my liking (personal taste)

2nd one much preferred - although still a bit "light" for my taste l

New order is Nicaragua Finca La Bastilla and Legacy blend (organic blend of Sumatran and Honduras)

I drink quite a lot of coffee and decided that I definitely prefer a less acidic coffee hence the latest two choices

The first 2 kgs I guess I will have finished within about 6 weeks of when opened

Value with discounts from Wogan has been very good and each time the order arrived next day give or take. Vet good service

Last edited:
Thought I'd stray away from my typical dark roasts like Monsoon Malabar, and try a light/medium roast.

Ordered Guatemala Bosques de San Francisco No52 from Rave and was promptly blown away by the sweet flavours. I normally like something smokey and spicy but this was sweet with an apple taste. Quite moreish I thought. At £33.83 for 1kg, it is expensive so I was using a £10 off code here. Doubt I'll purchase again at that price so I'll shop elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom