Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Getting through my first order from Wogan and 2nd order now arrived

1st one was monthly special Ethiopia BANKO GOTITI G1 plus Colombia Finca La Laguna Reserva

1st of those was definitely interesting very different smell when grinding (and also tough on grinder), taste interesting and definitely different (!) but a bit acidic for my liking (personal taste)

2nd one much preferred - although still a bit "light" for my taste l

New order is Nicaragua Finca La Bastilla and Legacy blend (organic blend of Sumatran and Honduras)

I drink quite a lot of coffee and decided that I definitely prefer a less acidic coffee hence the latest two choices

The first 2 kgs I guess I will have finished within about 6 weeks of when opened

Value with discounts from Wogan has been very good and each time the order arrived next day give or take. Vet good service
Lighter roasts are denser and tougher on grinders. Also harder to extract. Can try longer ratios 1:3 or 1:4 and/or increase your boiler temp by a degree or 2.

I'm in line for a healthy Christmas bonus and I'm thinking of spending some of it on a grinder.

I use an Aeropress and V60 (currently debating a Switch), and I have no intention of going into espresso, so I've been looking at the Fellow Ode Gen 2, which I can get for just over £300.

I can't really justify £500+ for a Niche Zero or Timemore Sculptor (although the latter does look and sound amazing).

Does anyone have any better recommendations than the Ode?

If pour over is your bag you could go hand grinder for £200ish. Great for pour overs, less counter space and easily portable for work/holidays.

Commandte or 1zpresso would be my starting points.

I got the outin portable espresso maker recently

It's shockingly decent get 4-5 70ml espressos (either your own grind or the nespresso pods) from cold water and like 100+ supposedly with hot water the pump doesn't seem to really use much battery.

Takes about 3 mins from cold or instant with hot water. It's nice to be able to make coffee either out on a walk or without getting out of bed.

Its like those wacaco ones but with a water boiler

Last edited:
for grinders that don't do espresso - is that really an indication of less uniformity of grind size & lower tolerances - so could impact filter taste too
(yes - you might need to design the coffee path to accept a more powderous material too)

- no sign of those Mignon's that duelit were selling in previous years/xmas's ?

the big difference between espresso and filter grinders is usually the motor power and cooling, espresso grinds (and finer) put more stress on the motor so you end up burning it out - good filter grinders (like the Ode) will grind down to espresso once in a while, but not back to back.

I think there is also different bur designs for filter as well, but i'm not sure if that means espresso burs are better than filter burs

Last edited:
Picked up Sainsbury's Fairtrade House Blend Original Coffee, Strength 3 and Lavazza Ground Decaf Coffee to get me going with the cafetiere I recently found at the back of the cupboard. I know it isn't anything fancy but it so much smoother and tastier than the instant granules I have had up until now. I am warming up the milk on the hob and frothing with a whisk but a dedicated milk frother would be handy. Just want one that gets the milk hot for hot chocolate also so my partner can use. I don't want luke warm milk in the coffee.

Any one with a decent milk frother? Something like this one?

Are these any good for Oat or Almond 'Milk'?

Last edited:
I'm in line for a healthy Christmas bonus and I'm thinking of spending some of it on a grinder.

I use an Aeropress and V60 (currently debating a Switch), and I have no intention of going into espresso, so I've been looking at the Fellow Ode Gen 2, which I can get for just over £300.

I can't really justify £500+ for a Niche Zero or Timemore Sculptor (although the latter does look and sound amazing).

Does anyone have any better recommendations than the Ode?

Fellow Ode Gen 2 at £350 would be my choice for a very close contender to the Niche, even if it’s £500 but at £350 it’s a win for me.

It has the new de-ioniser, better burrs in the gen 2, flat burrs too. Single dosing like the Niche.

Thanks, @Raymond Lin.

I know you can get the gen 2 burrs for £80, so £240 total.

The gen 2 comes with other improvements like a better designed hopper and deioniser etc. Maybe not worth the upgrade for £110 difference, but I’ve seen the gen 2 for £305, which makes me think a £65 difference is probably worth it.

@Siliconslave - I got a bit lost with the Eureka Mignon lineup but I must admit, I prefer the look of the Ode.

Thanks, @Raymond Lin.

I know you can get the gen 2 burrs for £80, so £240 total.

The gen 2 comes with other improvements like a better designed hopper and deioniser etc. Maybe not worth the upgrade for £110 difference, but I’ve seen the gen 2 for £305, which makes me think a £65 difference is probably worth it.

@Siliconslave - I got a bit lost with the Eureka Mignon lineup but I must admit, I prefer the look of the Ode.

I think the de-ioniser would be a worthwhile upgrade because that is one big problem with the gen 1. It makes a mess on the countertop.

df64 too -
the diamonds are just diamond cut ... but I now watched a review of df64 , which original Oro review I saw, said would be a competitor ...
I think I'd go for that £100 less than oro, cosmetically not as nice - but it has a pump already -
doesn't look like it has any static issues either - what's the espresso machine he's using , portafilter mount/support for pouring in grind is interesting too. ???
Turin DF64 vs. Niche Zero | The Battle of Single Dose Coffee Grinders

Just realised that £305 price was ex VAT. Doh. :o

£345 seems to be the best price I can find now.

I was wondering where you got £305 from, it's £350 everywhere I've seen lol

Get it with cashback credit card to knock may be 1% off....I think it's worth it. The money i paid for the Niche is a lot but it's something that has 1 button, super simple, last 10, 20 years hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom