Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
Caporegime
Thanks Raymond, was after a second scale and this looks suspiciously similar to the m3w-bomber one for about half price. Worth a punt

It has 2 on setting, one with sound, one without sound. Since the buttons are touch sensitive, I found with sound to be more useful since it gives a confirmation of me pressing it.

Use M1 for pour over and M2 for espresso.

Soldato
if you use double walled glasses can pretty much eye-ball output volume & crema + count the seconds - Illy/koons cup set I got, attractive but rarely used;
I just use scales to weigh out the shot coffee going into grinder.

new grinder on the market circa £250 looks a nice piece of Chinese manufacture - aluminium milled, low retention, would need to handle it in the flesh though.

The Looks and Features​

If you like the look of the DF64, you’ll like the look of the DF54, as it takes many design cues from its bigger brother. It’s shape is a cylinder, slanted forward towards the user, atop a sturdy base. Reaching out from the cylinder is a semicircular forked portafilter holder, this time equipped with a delightful angled rubber dosing cup holder. This works way better then the previous models!

Soldato
had a new order from Wogan arrive few days ago - looking forward to trying

Guatemala Blue Ayarza Natural - Beans / 1kg
Indonesia Sumatra Mandheling - Beans / 1kg

as I'd run out I've been using some very cheap beans for last week or two so will be interesting to compare

I've been using Der-Franz Crema organic beans (less than £10 a kg and ridiculous amount of Crema) - and Starbucks Blonde, which I've been mixing together about half and half

the results are pretty nice to be honest, very drinkable, no particularly distinct flavours, but an excellent Crema and overall pretty good tbh

will be interesting to compare to the above as was less than half the price - even though the Wogan coffee - with the regularly cropping up discounts is very good value (about £20 a kg)

Soldato
Guatemala Blue Ayarza Natural - Beans / 1kg
Indonesia Sumatra Mandheling - Beans / 1kg

Both are fantastic and very different. I love the Guatemala as an americano. Indonesia is a lot darker and is great as a pour-over or americano. Brilliant choices, I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Associate
Just received my gauge tamper, testing it on the table until it clicks....I have definitely pressing down with way more force than this!
You can't over tamp only under tamp. Level tamping is the important variable because 9 bars compacts it harder than your wrist could. You can actually get secondary compaction at around 11 bars but that state only exists as long as the pressure in maintained.

Caporegime
You can't over tamp only under tamp. Level tamping is the important variable because 9 bars compacts it harder than your wrist could. You can actually get secondary compaction at around 11 bars but that state only exists as long as the pressure in maintained.

I know that's also what the Hoffmann says, once all the air has been pushed out, it's out.

However, I do want to get more consistent with every shot and this will do that, even if you can't over do it. Also, it has the rim plate thing to ensure it is 100% level too. The main aim is to remove more variables.

Soldato
I know that's also what the Hoffmann says, once all the air has been pushed out, it's out.

However, I do want to get more consistent with every shot and this will do that, even if you can't over do it. Also, it has the rim plate thing to ensure it is 100% level too. The main aim is to remove more variables.

If you're getting the prep sorted (I also use a small WDT, did seem to make tamping more even most times) and have moved your machine to 9 bar then I would say your remaining variables are grind size, grind mass vs your basket size, bean choice, bean age and temperature stability. I would only say tamping is an issue if you're barely or not doing it at all, otherwise I've never seen much difference.

You can dial in gradually on most of those but the one I struggle with is temp stability with the Gaggia Classic without a PID. That said, great results still if you have a long enough warmup and repeatable process, but sometimes it can be difficult to get temp stability. You options would be to add a PID and maybe even a flow control. I haven't done either of those yet, possibly diminishing returns. Also wasn't sure if just better machines are now available with temperature control rather than sink more into the GC, but I do like the quality, repairability/parts availability etc. of the GC so happy for now.

Associate

Little puck rake and level tamp will get you 90% there. Some like top filters or mesh screens to aid even water dispersion but I don't see enough benefit to make that worth it, I just keep a clean shower head.

Soldato
Hey folks

recommendations for a stainless steel (or otherwise not glass) cafetiere / french press?
are they all pretty much of a muchness? not looking to spend mad money either
;)

Associate
Basic ones are pretty much all the same. Getting a thermally insulated one would allow for longer steep times but they are usually in the price tier above the standard glass ones.

Man of Honour
London Coffee Festival is on again next weekend. Thursday through Sunday.

It's no longer a cheap event to get into, prices have jumped massively. Luckily I still get free industry day tickets. :D So have discount codes though, 25% off standard ticket code : SPRING25 and 10% off Ultimate ticket code : BLOSSOM10

Personally, will be looking at coffee subscriptions as Hasbean is no more. It has ceased to be. Fully rebranded as Ozone now and for the last few months it really has seemed like it's been 50% natural coffees (which I hate) and the quality of the others just isn't up to what we got with Steve in charge. So, will be moving on from them. Sad for me, I think I've had pretty much every In My Mug coffee apart from maybe 4 or 5... So that's around 200kg of coffee. :eek:

Also for the other half I 'll be looking at hot chocolate as she loves the velvetiser I got her for christmas. Its so much easier than firing up the espresso machine to steam some milk. Suspect I'll be bringing home some Mork chocolate. Had some before and it's great.

Other than that, see new toys, meet friends, drink great coffee and have a laugh. Few good roasters I'm looking at getting more coffee from. Danelaw, Plot, Lost Sheep, Redemption, Origin... Suspect I'll come home with a couple of kilo's of beans.

Caporegime
Little puck rake and level tamp will get you 90% there. Some like top filters or mesh screens to aid even water dispersion but I don't see enough benefit to make that worth it, I just keep a clean shower head.

Made a new cup, 15g, 30g out, 35 seconds. Grinder setting 10.

Still a bit sour, not much crème. I might get a new fresher bag of beans tomorrow and try again.

Back
Top Bottom