silly season - F1 2017 driver line up

Soldato
OP
I wonder if they might be able to fill the gap with some pay drivers?

Not sure who has enough funding and is willing to drive around at the back though :(

either way they don't have much time to sort it out before the start of the season.

also could they even run last year's car? with all the uncertainty, it doesn't seem likely that they would have made much progress on their 2017 car.

Soldato
also could they even run last year's car? with all the uncertainty, it doesn't seem likely that they would have made much progress on their 2017 car.

I suppose in theory they could run last years car with basically extended new wings and bodywork, which shouldn't take much work to get them legal, and beefing up the suspension to cope with the extra loads. Obviously it won't be fast if they've been unable to dedicate resources to develop them though.

Even ignoring the potential loss of jobs it's a shame as last year was the first where any of the new teams got close to one of the established teams and the main pack to a degree - we had Bianchi getting points at Monaco in 2014 of course, but that was down to the nature of the track and strategy as much as anything - in terms of raw pace they were still relatively slow.

Transmission breaker
Don
Apparently the team is still operating as per "normal" at the moment, as it is Just Racing Services Limited who are in administration.

So, separate from my earlier musings that it would be catastrophic even with new funding if they lost development time from not working for a few weeks, it is conceivable that if funding can be found, they might be able to maintain function, and not lose too much?

A mule car would be no fun, slow and probably unreliable. I suspect they have the core (tub/gearbox/engine packaging/suspension/etc) for the 17 car well and truly done, and are just working around the edges (control systems/process/bodywork/aero) for added speed/performance.

Last edited:
Soldato
Massa back in at Williams
Wehrlein in at Sauber
Bottas in at Mercedes

Manor TBC both in terms of drivers and as a team!

Soldato
So Bottas is confirmed then.

How will he get on with LH?

I think he'll get on with him ok. Although at the same time i can't see him wanting to upset things in the hope of making Mercedes a long term thing. Which is a shame.. Hopefully the other teams will close up to Merc to provide some more competition.

Soldato
I think he'll get on with him ok. Although at the same time i can't see him wanting to upset things in the hope of making Mercedes a long term thing. Which is a shame.. Hopefully the other teams will close up to Merc to provide some more competition.

Obviously some rivalry is good, but I don't like to see it turn sour.

Let's home the new cars add some extra excitement this season.

Soldato
I understand Williams wanting the experience in the team etc but I still don't think bringing back Massa was the best option. I guess it only being a 1 year contract means they will be looking for a new driver again next year once Stroll has had a season in the car.

Back
Top Bottom