silly season - F1 2017 driver line up

Soldato
Good for Bottas but I really wanted it to be Sainz. I know that was unrealistic but I feel Red Bull will ruin his career and put everything behind golden boy max

Man of Honour
disappointing but expected, hope I'm wrong but do not expect bottas to give Ham a fight.
and massa back in an f1 car is depressing. As is the grid as a whole.
Only real hope for the season is for max to have a good RB car under him.

Now watch me be totally wrong.

Man of Honour
I could imagine Bottas pushing Hamilton more than Rosberg did. That said, Hamilton will be the clear number 1 now that Rosberg screwed them over. I wonder how much they paid Williams?

Soldato
I'd be embarrassed if I were Massa, all the pit-lane cheering, car gifting, farewell party shenanigans and now he's back immediately. Not like it's even a season-long hiatus.

Soldato
I get the impression Massa retired because they were bringing in Stroll, rather than them bringing in Stroll because Massa was retiring.

He was presumably quite happy to continue for 2017 but decided against it when Williams weren't renewing his contract and there were no other suitable drives left.

I can't imagine it's all about money - according to pretty much everyone who's met him he's the most decent person you could ever meet - which for some reason everybody on this and most English-speaking forums has completely ignored for the past decade and a half.

Soldato
I get the impression Massa retired because they were bringing in Stroll, rather than them bringing in Stroll because Massa was retiring.

He was presumably quite happy to continue for 2017 but decided against it when Williams weren't renewing his contract and there were no other suitable drives left.

I can't imagine it's all about money - according to pretty much everyone who's met him he's the most decent person you could ever meet - which for some reason everybody on this and most English-speaking forums has completely ignored for the past decade and a half.

I've never seen any Massa hate here or any other forums. He gets stick for not being as fast as the top guys and his crashes but don't believe anyone doesn't think he's a decent person.

Soldato
He reminds me of Barichello, another nice bloke nearly-man in F1, but cringingly desperate to cling on to a drive when they are past their best.

Nismo said:
all the pit-lane cheering, car gifting, farewell party shenanigans

Oh yeah guys, erm, thanks for all your kindness in Brazil that time, but you'll have to do it all again sometime. Was just kidding LOL...can I have another free car Claire?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Why are people writing Bottas of before he has even sat in the car?

Because Hamilton.

Exactly, Mercedes know the way to get the very best from Hamilton is to give him someone who will defer to him. They could have gotten anyone they liked regardless of contracts but probably had enough of the hassle and were confident enough in the car that they know they didn't need another top driver.

Not only that but Hamilton has years of experience in the team, that would have helped Rosberg to a degree having been there longer than Hamilton. If Rosberg had joined after Hamilton had 3 or 4 more years than him at Mercedes he would have been utterly destroyed too.

Bottas has been hired as he won't give Hamilton any trouble while he waltz's to the title with no fallouts. Until a better option comes along I think this is a good Mercedes call.

Back
Top Bottom