Silverstone SG08

Soldato
OP
Mainly a lack of a good space to mount an H5O. Also cable routing is an absolute nightmare.

True but you could certainly get an H60 in there. I don't think that the cable routing is bad? Your SATA power cables go through at the front of the case between the front and the 3.5". 24-pin goes down between the PSU and mobo. The 4-pin goes along the top next to the power cable above the GPU and down to the mobo at the back. PCI-e power just goes straight in and your SATA and front I/O go straight down to the floor and run along to their respective ports.

That said I will be doing a full custom PSU for this with each cable measured, connected and braided in such a way as to get the best cable routing as the PSU that Silverstone supply is really not that good for cable management.

Soldato
I still think the SG05 is a better design with only two floors, that being the plastic face plate and cards like the GTX 580 not fitting!

I'm seriously looking at moding the SG05 450w so I can fit my GTX 580 inside. From what I've googled I'll need to cut the metal behind the face plate. Although i'm no quite sure if the plastic face plate will fit back on flush?

Soldato
OP
I still think the SG05 is a better design with only two floors, that being the plastic face plate and cards like the GTX 580 not fitting!

I'm seriously looking at moding the SG05 450w so I can fit my GTX 580 inside. From what I've googled I'll need to cut the metal behind the face plate. Although i'm no quite sure if the plastic face plate will fit back on flush?

I cant be doing with the restriction on coolers and the silly little fan in the PSU. Not to mention the restriction on GPU length (although as you said it will fot longer cards with a simple mod.)

Soldato
Well technically yes, the H50/60/70/80 would all fit. But it's a hell of a squeeze, requires quite a bodge if you want to keep the AP fan, and (when I tried it) constricts the pipes so much the pump buzzes.

Cable routing is a right PITA mainly due to cable length. What were SS thinking with this PSU? :/

Soldato
OP
Well technically yes, the H50/60/70/80 would all fit. But it's a hell of a squeeze, requires quite a bodge if you want to keep the AP fan, and (when I tried it) constricts the pipes so much the pump buzzes.

Cable routing is a right PITA mainly due to cable length. What were SS thinking with this PSU? :/

Ah fair enough. The AP fan and the PSU will be the first things to go once mine arrives. I just wish case manufacturers would stop bundling stuff like this or at least offer the option not to have it and pay less.

Soldato
The AP is a good idea and cools well, but SS needed to include a way to attach a 120.1 rad simply and easily. I mean yes, you can lose it and attach a 120mm fan instead but doesn't that just ruin the point of the case?

Then you have the PSU. Again, a good idea to bundle a strong PSU with the case, but it's not modular (seriously, what were Silverstone thinking with that? Surely it's the FIRST requirement for a PSU in a SFF case?) and the cables with it are just stupidly long for what they are.

Also, when I did have one, I found the build quality to be questionable, and the GPU cooling performance to be very poor. If you're going to have a case to put on the desk just a few inches from you, you can't be doing with a GPU that has to ramp up to vortex level to keep itself cool.

To be honest, a total missed opportunity from Silverstone. I felt the SG05 and 06 were just better cases, despite the lack of room for a meaty GPU (although you can squeeze a GTX570 in there, certainly no slouch of a card that). You get an extra 4L in volume for what is, overall, a worse case.

Soldato
OP
Well apparently it should be hitting European distributors this month. That is from Silverstone themselves so lets keep our fingers crossed. Hopefully I will be able to treat myself to a nice early Christmas present.

Soldato
OP
Found this for sale at a competitor here in the UK. Priced at £193.60. Seems quite pricey. Also it says it will be in stock on the 30th...just in time for a pay packet. Oh gods. Its so much but I want it so much too. Gah!

Soldato
Found this for sale at a competitor here in the UK. Priced at £193.60. Seems quite pricey. Also it says it will be in stock on the 30th...just in time for a pay packet. Oh gods. Its so much but I want it so much too. Gah!
**** me that's expensive! :eek:

Hope it drops by at least £25 or more...

Soldato
I'm waiting to see if any other sites list it as pre-order before it is released, once I factor in the sale value of my old motherboard, case, power supply and heatsink it will have neutralised the total cost, thats unless I want an SSD to go along with it. :p

Back
Top Bottom