Sim racers - what are you running?

Soldato
Recent pedals upgrade. CSL (non LC) to Clubsport V3's. The difference is pretty incredible.

nM2VRmu.jpeg

Last edited:
Associate
I don’t know your setup but I have my monitor on an adjustable arm so I move it to my rig which I have at the side of my desk.
It’s a 49” SUW G9 and the only suitable place for the rig is in the corner, and I think it’d need a 27” if it’s centred to the rig.

For some reason I thought I’d solved the issue and it wasn’t until I tried shuffling things in my 3d modelled setup that I realised I still couldn’t do what I wanted. I might be able to set it up in a spare bedroom, but it’s not how I wanted it and it’d be a nightmare moving it out when the room is needed.

Soldato
I don’t know your setup but I have my monitor on an adjustable arm so I move it to my rig which I have at the side of my desk.
Do you have a link to the arm ?
I have a wall mounted arm that allows me to move my monitor, but I don't think it's going to have enough "range" to get the monitor to where I want it and currently I'm thinking I'll have to move my rig to my desk (when it arrives) to be able to use the monitor.

Long term plan is to get triples for the rig if I enjoy this enough.

Associate
I have a wall mounted arm that allows me to move my monitor, but I don't think it's going to have enough "range" to get the monitor to where I want it and currently I'm thinking I'll have to move my rig to my desk (when it arrives) to be able to use the monitor.
Yeah its kinda deceptive how adjustable wall mount arms are, they look like they should be able to move into a wide range of positions, but in my experience it's actually a quite limited range of positions.

I've been looking for a reasonably priced wall mount arm for the Samsung G9, as they're all either insufficient due to the combination of size, weight and curve (moves weight further forward), or just silly money (£300). I have recently found one for around £100 on the big online warehouse site ("MOUNT-V101G1") but one of the things i was considering a while back was using a large screen TV wall mount, because they're easy to mount close to the wall, but mainly because they have the rail to adjust them on. My thinking was that the rail allows about 50cm sideways adjustment, so i could slide it left for one use, and still move it 50cm to the right for another use. All while being flat to the wall. My TV mount has that, and as fairly basic arm to bring it out into the room, somewhat similar to a wall mount arm, i just have no easy vertical adjustment like an arm would have.

If i understood your issue, then something like that might be useful. Google "B07TTS7T3R" for example. One possible issue was VESA mount compatibility, but you can by plates to add 100x100 etc.

Associate
Here's what i have in my SketchUp room plan from when i was trying to figure out how to do the desk in the first place.
Its just 2 Ikea units, in 60cm and 120cm sizes, and 2 Ikea worktops. I needed something practical, and came up with something that didnt require any modification to the units.

This is how things are currently set up:
mneRCHb.png

And this was how i thought i could modify it to jam a racing rig in there. The PC case would have gone to the left side, and monitor to the right, but it wouldnt be central to either the rig or the gap where i'd work and play regular KB+M games.
Theres a doorway in the left corner just off-screen which prevents the desk from being any wider, and im already losing a lot of storage space in this version, so removing both storage units wouldnt be practical.
Im not sure if shoving the racing frame right against the wall is sufficient space, but it seems like plenty of people do that so im guessing its not a huge issue.
Pt7psAu.png

Im now just wondering whether or not i could go with that 2nd example, and simply move it into the central location whenever i wanted to race, and then move it back over again when i need to get on with work.
I think the racing seat would need to be low for the DD mount height (to fit under the table) and be comfortable, which might mean the monitor is at a less than ideal position.
Half the issue im having is simply visualising everything, without spending £4k on gear and then finding out how it make it all come together.

Soldato
Do you have a link to the arm ?

Long term plan is to get triples for the rig if I enjoy this enough.
It’s a Herman Miller Flo arm. The office were getting rid of some otherwise I would get something cheaper. It’s mounted to the desk and I can just reposition the monitor to my rig. The size of the desk will determine how much reach you need.

Soldato
Here's what i have in my SketchUp room plan from when i was trying to figure out how to do the desk in the first place.
Its just 2 Ikea units, in 60cm and 120cm sizes, and 2 Ikea worktops. I needed something practical, and came up with something that didnt require any modification to the units.

This is how things are currently set up:
mneRCHb.png

And this was how i thought i could modify it to jam a racing rig in there. The PC case would have gone to the left side, and monitor to the right, but it wouldnt be central to either the rig or the gap where i'd work and play regular KB+M games.
Theres a doorway in the left corner just off-screen which prevents the desk from being any wider, and im already losing a lot of storage space in this version, so removing both storage units wouldnt be practical.
Im not sure if shoving the racing frame right against the wall is sufficient space, but it seems like plenty of people do that so im guessing its not a huge issue.
Pt7psAu.png

Im now just wondering whether or not i could go with that 2nd example, and simply move it into the central location whenever i wanted to race, and then move it back over again when i need to get on with work.
I think the racing seat would need to be low for the DD mount height (to fit under the table) and be comfortable, which might mean the monitor is at a less than ideal position.
Half the issue im having is simply visualising everything, without spending £4k on gear and then finding out how it make it all come together.
O u used sketch up software? How was it? Easy to use?

Associate
O u used sketch up software? How was it? Easy to use?
Yeah, it didn’t take much effort to make, and it’s helped me wrap my head around what’s possible and whatnot. I’ve also used solidworks years ago, purely messing about, and it does a few things better but Sketchup can run in the browser for free, so gave it a try. I just needed something easy enough to mock up ideas in.

Back
Top Bottom