Sim racers - what are you running?

Soldato
My Logitech G920 wheel is playing up, cannot shift up any more, either skips or double shifts. Time for an upgrade. I am thinking Thrustmaster T818 + SF1000 + T-LCM which can be had at approx £1000-1050. Worth doing or not? I largely play F1. So quite like the idea of having an 'F1' wheel, is direct drive, load cell brakes. Ticks the boxes for me.

Moza gear seems OOS everywhere and Fanatec looks like dealing with imports etc. Not ideal, would've ideally liked to have spent a bit less but can afford to go to this level, ideally don't want to go any further on price.
For that sort of money I would be looking at Simagic (either the alpha or the mini) with a GT Neo wheel.

pedals wise look at the simjack pedals on Ali Express, very highly rated in the sim community, I have a set and am more than happy with them, although I haven't had anything else to compare them to.

Associate
For sim racing it's all about FOV. If you go for 32s you'll need to mount them a little further away to get the correct FOV. When I was looking at options the general consensus was that you can "upgrade" from 27s to 32s by moving your 27s closer.

This makes no sense whatsoever. Bigger screens at the same distance simply require a larger FoV setting in-game.

Associate
I may get a 32" curved G5 (I have already one for my desk pc) and I'll probably make it triple after
For sim racing it's all about FOV. If you go for 32s you'll need to mount them a little further away to get the correct FOV. When I was looking at options the general consensus was that you can "upgrade" from 27s to 32s by moving your

Associate
This makes no sense whatsoever. Bigger screens at the same distance simply require a larger FoV setting in-game.

You want as close to 180 degrees as you can for racing. Some sims don't support FOVs beyond 180 anyway, but even if you can make it work, everything in the world is going to be off in terms of position.

By that logic you could have triple 65s at the same distance as triple 27s and just up the FOV. The larger the screens, the further away they need to be to maintain 180 degrees. You also end up with the giant car effect if they're too close. My friend races on his 65" TV and for everything to look right his seating position is halfway across his living room.

It's less of an issue with 32s, but all you're really gaining by going with 32 over 27 is more vertical space so you can see more sky and a bit more of the dash. Anything bigger and you need to start mounting them behind the wheelbase which means you need huge amounts of space and freestanding monitor mounts.

I'll grant you that 32s are probably a little bit more immersive, but it's a decent jump in price for very little gain, personally.

Associate
You want as close to 180 degrees as you can for racing. Some sims don't support FOVs beyond 180 anyway, but even if you can make it work, everything in the world is going to be off in terms of position.

By that logic you could have triple 65s at the same distance as triple 27s and just up the FOV. The larger the screens, the further away they need to be to maintain 180 degrees. You also end up with the giant car effect if they're too close. My friend races on his 65" TV and for everything to look right his seating position is halfway across his living room.

It's less of an issue with 32s, but all you're really gaining by going with 32 over 27 is more vertical space so you can see more sky and a bit more of the dash. Anything bigger and you need to start mounting them behind the wheelbase which means you need huge amounts of space and freestanding monitor mounts.

I'll grant you that 32s are probably a little bit more immersive, but it's a decent jump in price for very little gain, personally.
This has me thinking of going triple 27s instead of the 32s. The room it will be in is not the biggest.

Man of Honour
Gt omega rig with Varjo Aero VR and Triples for me 5800x3d with a 4090

I've today purchased the Next Level HF8 Seat pad for a bit more immersion anyone running one? cant go the buttkicker route due to noise :(

Back
Top Bottom