sk3lph's brand new Media/Cinema room

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Great thanks for the advice! At the moment I've got a spare attic room that I've put a 100" screen in and some second hand audio gear. It's good fun but definitely planning to save up like you did and get something more professional done!

Associate
OP
The comments here have gone in an interesting direction - my missus has had a lot to put up with during the building for all of this and is getting towards the end of her tether with all the disruption - I can see a suggestion of turning the room into a strip club will push her over the edge.

Anyway I couldn't resist posting a pic of the now working coffer lighting, the air con should hopefully be completed tomorrow.

22mKgsH.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Looking good I wouldn't have used blue though I just find it far to intrusive as a light colour but everything is personal taste.

The lights shown are colour changing, so have a wide spectrum to choose from or can have it cycling through the colours too. Had another look in the room and come to the conclusion that the camera makes the lights look too bright, the room is actually dimly lit with only them on.

Anyway, small update, the air con install hit a problem in that the diffuser back boxes are the wrong size (slightly too small), so they are going to come back again to finish off when the right box size has been done.

Holes for the ceiling speakers will be cut on Friday and I'm also currently sorting out the star ceiling lighting kit.

Associate
OP
Well the road to paradise may well have a few pot holes on it along the way.

The Atmos ceiling speaker holes were done last Friday and I quickly established that they are in the wrong place. The AV installer (Chris) I have been dealing with (who has been brilliant) passed the job to one of his guys who has arranged the speakers in two 5.1.2 configurations for each of the two rows of seats I'm going to be having rather than arranging them in a 5.1.4 configuration around the single sweet spot chair in the room.

I had a meeting with Chris this morning on site and he was very apologetic and rather annoyed with his colleague for getting the positions wrong and arranged for the problem to be fixed with some involvement from my builder at his expense.

The good news is the Star Ceiling fible optic lighting has been ordered and I'll be looking to start the installation of that a week on Saturday once the Air Con install has been completed and the above problem has been sorted.

Normal service will be resumed with some more pictures when things progress on a bit more.

Associate
OP
This is awesome. I'd love to do something like this. I watch a film nearly every day, it certainly wouldn't be a waste.

It's probably gone past the point of obsession for me this - I'm almost always plotting and scheming in the back of my mind how I'm going to do stuff.

The ceiling speaker positions have been redone and they are now in the correct position and I've also put down a deposit on the Drinkstuff cinema seats before the special offer expires.

Few jobs to do this weekend - the fibre harness has arrived so I'll be bunching the cables up, labeling and routing them according to the grid reference that I'll mark on the ceiling using chalk string. A friend of mine is coming round the following weekend to help with putting the individual fibres in position - I'll be drilling the holes from below and he will feed them through from above - I'll post some pictures from that in due course.

Caporegime
It's probably gone past the point of obsession for me this - I'm almost always plotting and scheming in the back of my mind how I'm going to do stuff.

The ceiling speaker positions have been redone and they are now in the correct position and I've also put down a deposit on the Drinkstuff cinema seats before the special offer expires.

Few jobs to do this weekend - the fibre harness has arrived so I'll be bunching the cables up, labeling and routing them according to the grid reference that I'll mark on the ceiling using chalk string. A friend of mine is coming round the following weekend to help with putting the individual fibres in position - I'll be drilling the holes from below and he will feed them through from above - I'll post some pictures from that in due course.

Have you got your AV gear yet, like projector, receiver, blu ray etc?

I hope we're going to get a nice run through when it all arrives. Do you know what equipment you're getting yet?

Associate
OP
Have you got your AV gear yet, like projector, receiver, blu ray etc?

I hope we're going to get a nice run through when it all arrives. Do you know what equipment you're getting yet?

I mentioned the kit I'm having in the fifth post in this thread, but seeing as it's you I'll post the kit again.

Speakers
Robson Acoustics Chronos (Front Left & Right)
Robson Acoustics Chronos (Front Centre)
Robson Acoustics Stella (Rear Surround)
Robson Acoustics Sub Tonitro (one under each front and left speakers)
Monitor Audio 265id - four installed in ceiling for Atmos.

Screen
135'' 16:9 Acoustically Transparent Projection Screen (centre speaker installed behind it).

Amplifier
Yamaha RXA3050

I'm moving my existing projector from the lounge up to the new room and my current blu-ray player is a PS3 which I may upgrade in due course. I'll also be on the lookout for a good media streamer too.

Needless to say I'll be taking the day off work for the kit being installed so I'll be taking pictures and covering what happens during that here too.

Associate
OP
Another modest update.

The Air conditioning install has been completed and the following is a pic of one of the two slot diffusers.

6YKGi1a.jpg

I've also started laying out the fibres in the trays for the star lighting, the following pics show the lightbox above the ceiling and the partially installed fibres glowing with the attic light off.

jMCvJQG.jpg

7QQCfT8.jpg

More pics from the fibre install this Saturday to follow.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Been working on the star lighting on the ceiling and the hole drilling is now half done.

The following is some pics from the job.

jxwBuRg.jpg

m8jO6BA.jpg

snNsUDw.jpg

h7Z4ehn.jpg

vuQZro0.jpg

It does look a bit like a swarm of fireflies in the pictures which don't really do it justice - it looks amazing.

My helper is busy tomorrow to I'll be fixing the tails into position tomorrow and trimming them back to about 5mm ready for the ceiling to be painted, then they will be trimmed back a couple of mil again to let the light through after the painting.

I'm working next weekend so it'll be 2 weeks before we can do the other half of the ceiling, the black out blind still needs to be fitted but after that the room can be finally decorated.

More updates soonish.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom