Skiing Season!

Associate
So who has theirs all booked up and where are you going?!

Booked Courchevel 1850 yesterday :D Will be my twenty-something time and the girlfriends first :o

I know its not the cheapest of places so I'm budgeting £200/day food/drink for both of us and maybe £500 for her ski lessons - will this be enough to enjoy it fully or should I save harder?! Going Feb half term if that makes any difference :)
Private ski lessons start at ~€350/day. Not sure about groups, but there you go...

I've been skiing Les Trois Vallées for 8 years now. Love it!! Almost completed the "top 10" off pistes. (One of them being the Death Couloir into Meribel and Col de Fruits being the other into Courcheval).

Izi

Izi

Soldato
So who has theirs all booked up and where are you going?!

Booked Courchevel 1850 yesterday :D Will be my twenty-something time and the girlfriends first :o

I know its not the cheapest of places so I'm budgeting £200/day food/drink for both of us and maybe £500 for her ski lessons - will this be enough to enjoy it fully or should I save harder?! Going Feb half term if that makes any difference :)

went there for new year 2009. Was the best new year/ holiday of my life.

£12/pint and £30 for spag bol though. Pack a shed load of cash in your case! :)

We had a fully catered chalet with unlimited wine and food, that was a saviour.

Last edited:
Soldato
My two penneth worth -

Snow train is an awesome way to do it. Done this twice straight from London to Bourg. If you are going to La Plagne it stops at the foot of the hill!

A couple of years ago myself and my boarding crew decided to road trip it to Alp D'Huez. Started in Wallingford (west of Reading) and drove via the Chunnel. Admittedly we did have a rather well kitted out VW Caravelle to do in (PS3 & DVD inc), but it was by far the best way to go I have experienced.

My favourite resorts -

Val D'isere
Morzine
Cervinia
Meribel

Favourite ever board = K2 Eldorado (I have owned 3, with others mixed in between)
Favourite ever boots = Salomon Mamalute (two pairs amongst others)
Favourite ever bindings = Salomon SPX Pro (one pair, but they don't make them anymore but I stick with top line Salomon stuff due to the binding / boot interface)

Associate
Chamonix season pass ordered, count myself fortunate to live near Verbier and Cham. New LibTech Travis Rice 164.5 propped up in living room waiting and ready. Was in Grindelwald trekking by the Eiger two weeks ago, camped out and woke Sunday morning to find 20cm of fresh to trek about in. Winter is coming :)

One of you said you going to Val first time - you will love it, guaranteed!

Soldato
I'm tempted this season. I've never skied or boarded before though, and can just tell I'll be completely inept :p.

My "it's complicated" lives in Switzerland and is a trained Snowboard instructor, so she's been moaning at me to come over for the winter.

Is SnowBoarding hard?

Associate
Westy, you will batter yourself black and blue for the first 3 days or so, but so long as you dont spit the dummy, have the attitude of "get up and try again, again, again", when the penny drops and you've figured out how it all works together you will love it. Come on, you have a bird and a place to stay in Switzerland, get on with it fella!

Associate
Off to Hakuba, Japan in January for the season :D 3 months of epic pow cant wait! Then off to work in Oz for a while and hopefully ill spend some time riding in New Zealand depending on money. If not then hopefully Whistler next year.

Associate
Going to Praz-sur-Arly with my family over christmas, never heard of the place and it looks like a very small resort so should be decent. Then going to Val Thornes with Uni on new years, so that should be really good.

Soldato
Confirmed 4 of us going tignes i really can't wait :) first time Boarding in france

Some awesome slopes there. Resort is a bit big and spread out and whoever designed it had no care for Alpine charm but you will love it.

Worth investigating cab prices to Val D'Isere for a night out as well. If you are hardcore enough, just head over the top to Val, hit Apres, stay out all night, go to Dicks and get cab back to Tignes.

Associate
Some awesome slopes there. Resort is a bit big and spread out and whoever designed it had no care for Alpine charm but you will love it.

Worth investigating cab prices to Val D'Isere for a night out as well. If you are hardcore enough, just head over the top to Val, hit Apres, stay out all night, go to Dicks and get cab back to Tignes.

Thanks for that mate, will have to get on that :)! How expensive is it over there for drinks food etc?

I think this will be a big improvement on my last 3 resorts which have been Bankso x2 and Pamporva

Soldato
Time share in Avoriaz means a weeks skiing for me. :) Hopefully in a few years time once my education has finished I shall be able to spend a lot more time skiing, possibly a season.

Back
Top Bottom