*** Sky Q Thread ***

Caporegime
Hi Misschief,

Do you know if UHD pausing etc is coming soon? Just read that it doesn't behave like normal HD broadcasts because of the red button function?

I'm pretty sure you can still pause and rewind? I often record the F1 too as I work a Sunday. When it's not the same as a channel they mean you don't actually type a number in but I'm 99% positive you can pause etc.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure you can still pause and rewind? I often record the F1 too as I work a Sunday. When it's not the same as a channel they mean you don't actually type a number in but I'm 99% positive you can pause etc.

Ah ok! I must have read an out of date article or something. Thought it seemed weird you wouldn't have the same functionality as standard definition/HD.
I'll be able to test it in the next week or so, as I finally managed to get a good deal out of the retention team :)

Soldato
Ah ok! I must have read an out of date article or something. Thought it seemed weird you wouldn't have the same functionality as standard definition/HD.
I'll be able to test it in the next week or so, as I finally managed to get a good deal out of the retention team :)
Only difference between HD and UHD is you can't watch UHD on the mini boxes - the box is not powerful enough to transcode UHD to HD.

Cob

Cob

Soldato

Yeah you can pause and rewind UHD.

Soldato
ok this is odd..... picked up a free movie via the VIP offer.....

kong skull island .... 114 mins 3.61 gb in HD

Now I've just recorded last nights " the debate" in HD which is 49 mins ..... its 2.94 gb !!!!

How the heck is kong island not much bigger ?? Misschief ???

Soldato
if you look up netflix encode technique, when it is not live, and they have plenty of time for multi-pass encoding they can make a lot of optmisations,
so the 4MBb/s kong and 7Mb/s debate could be subjectively close in 'quality'

Last edited:
Soldato
ok this is odd..... picked up a free movie via the VIP offer.....

Now I've just recorded last nights " the debate" in HD which is 49 mins ..... its 2.94 gb !!!!

How the heck is kong island not much bigger ?? Misschief ???

Dont forget half the picture is black boxes.

Soldato
Just out of interest how much do you reckon adding a second Sky Q mini box would be for a Sky Q 2TB subscription with Sky Sports and Sky Movies (both in HD)? I kind of fancy getting it in my study so I can watch TV upstairs. The other option is Sky Go Extra but that doesn't let you watch live TV so it kind of sucks on Windows 10.

Caporegime
Just out of interest how much do you reckon adding a second Sky Q mini box would be for a Sky Q 2TB subscription with Sky Sports and Sky Movies (both in HD)? I kind of fancy getting it in my study so I can watch TV upstairs. The other option is Sky Go Extra but that doesn't let you watch live TV so it kind of sucks on Windows 10.
You absolutely can watch live TV on Sky go? Sky go extra allows up to four registered devices but you must still obey the 'two at any one time' rule. If you have Sky Q Multiroom then you should have SGE already?

Soldato
You absolutely can watch live TV on Sky go? Sky go extra allows up to four registered devices but you must still obey the 'two at any one time' rule. If you have Sky Q Multiroom then you should have SGE already?

Hmm. OK I didn't realise that. Let me check it out. I looked at the app on the Sky website and it just talked about downloading programmes. It didn't mention any live TV at all. Note I want to do this on my computer not a phone or a tablet.

http://go.sky.com/downloads

Edit: Just been playing around with Sky Go and I have to say it is the single worst thing I've ever tried to use. Definitely going to be getting another Sky Mini box if it avoids all that rubbish.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hmm. OK I didn't realise that. Let me check it out. I looked at the app on the Sky website and it just talked about downloading programmes. It didn't mention any live TV at all. Note I want to do this on my computer not a phone or a tablet.

http://go.sky.com/downloads

Edit: Just been playing around with Sky Go and I have to say it is the single worst thing I've ever tried to use. Definitely going to be getting another Sky Mini box if it avoids all that rubbish.
SGE does give you the option to download but it also grants two extra slots for devices. It is a bit clunky and, imo, should give live TV much quicker than it does.

Back
Top Bottom