*** Sky Q Thread ***

Associate
I just joined the VIP thingy, I'm on the Black level so can get Q installed for free but costs £12 per month for the multiroom (that I don't really need/want)
I'm on a discounted rate for the full package, will rate this stay the same ?

Also, is the 4k content worth it, or is it only a few channels ?

Caporegime
I just joined the VIP thingy, I'm on the Black level so can get Q installed for free but costs £12 per month for the multiroom (that I don't really need/want)
I'm on a discounted rate for the full package, will rate this stay the same ?

Also, is the 4k content worth it, or is it only a few channels ?
Discount should stay but remember the multiscreen is required for UHD content. UHD is some movies, live premier league football, some cricket and F1.

Associate
Started to put a package together with Sky, having fell out with them many many years ago, due to them not actually disconnecting me after three phone calls, this, after many years of service, its a long story :rolleyes:

Anyhow, what I have is the following:

:Box Sets

:Sky Q 2TB (with Q mini box - £30 off Q install)

:Q Multiscreen (for the wife upstairs, when I have footy on.

:Sports complete pack+HD (£6 for HD! :mad:)

Would I be correct to say that I need the HD sport addon, even when I take out the Sky Q multi, which gives me UHD, as I thought footy and F1 was in UHD anyway??

This comes in at £69 pm, with an £85 one off cost :o. What are they like to haggle with these days? I know all those years ago, it was like trying to get blood from a stone.

Associate
You don't actually need Sports HD pack to watch UHD sports but then La Liga, EFL and everything else will be SD.

Thanks for the reply Misschief, when you say "everything else", I presume you're only talking about the other sport packs, the standard TV channel offerings would still be in HD ? As from the sport line ups, I only really want premier league and F1.

Soldato
...but you need the £6/HD so "everything else"/other-sports are in HD and not SD,
and so that all sports on the minis (that don't do uhd) are in HD - afaik

make sure you know whether you are getting into it for 12 or 18 months too

Caporegime
Thanks for the reply Misschief, when you say "everything else", I presume you're only talking about the other sport packs, the standard TV channel offerings would still be in HD ? As from the sport line ups, I only really want premier league and F1.

...but you need the £6/HD so "everything else"/other-sports are in HD and not SD,
and so that all sports on the minis (that don't do uhd) are in HD - afaik

make sure you know whether you are getting into it for 12 or 18 months too

All the broadcast sports channels, including the F1 and PL channel will be SD on both boxes. Only when you either 'press Red' or specifically choose UHD from the menu will you get UHD content.

Box sets gives you all the other available HD content including Sky One, Discovery etc. in HD on both boxes.

Soldato
Sky keep getting in touch saying I can upgrade to Q for free, for the people who have it already have they added planner profiles (like Netflix's system) in yet? It's a point of stopping us upgrading or not due to how our current setup is with everyone having their own box and planner.

Caporegime
Nope no planner profiles as yet.

Apparently its on the cards, but then they have been saying that since start of the year.

Caporegime
We've got a main box and two minis in our home, and with four different people recording four different types of programme, we have yet to find a situation where profiles would have made any difference to the way we use the system currently.

Really don't see why they would be needed.

Associate
We have got a main box and only one mini and there is 6 of us recording things at some points and we don`t have a problem finding our items we have recorded. its all stored in one place. heck even the voice command works a treat so if your super lazy like me you can just talk to the remote i have found it quite responsive.

Caporegime
The UI is pretty good at stacking programs. It will usually stack all the F1 in one stack even if I've been lazy deleting watched stuff for example. I'm sure it will come but like above, not a major issue for me.

Associate
Everything shows in the planner and is available on all boxes in the house. The mini boxes have no satellite connection nor hard drive. The main box does it all.

I understand the main box does all the heavy lifting but isn't this a messy solution? You'll have to double check not to delete other peoples recordings and if you want to watch the same things separately you end up having stuff marked off as watched even if you haven't watched it.

Kinda disappointing to hear, it shouldn't be hard to make different zones/groups etc in software.

Soldato
I've just built up a Sky Q package but little confused on the pricing:

Does this mean it'd be £51.20 for the 12 or 18 month contract then go upto £92 or would it raise to £92 whilst in contract?
After the offers end, it will cost £92 per month. :)

I believe all their offers last the full contract periods now to avoid confusion. I had a 10 month offer for a 12 month contract for example which was just weird.

Caporegime
I understand the main box does all the heavy lifting but isn't this a messy solution? You'll have to double check not to delete other peoples recordings and if you want to watch the same things separately you end up having stuff marked off as watched even if you haven't watched it.

Kinda disappointing to hear, it shouldn't be hard to make different zones/groups etc in software.

You can watch from the start and deleted programs can be brought back easily enough. I don't find it an issue but it is coming at some point.

Soldato
You can watch from the start and deleted programs can be brought back easily enough. I don't find it an issue but it is coming at some point.
Hi Misschief,

Do you know if UHD pausing etc is coming soon? Just read that it doesn't behave like normal HD broadcasts because of the red button function?

Back
Top Bottom