*** Sky Q Thread ***

Caporegime
Unlikely .
UHD only comes with the £12 per month multiroom subscription.

The £10 per month for cinema is purely a discount on the normal £27 per month (or thereabouts I forget the actual current cost of cinema subscription alone)

Soldato
I have the box sets and multiroom for £12pm but 02 have just taken over paying my Netflix so wondered whether to get cinema with the saving I'm making

Soldato
Hi Guys

I have connected the inlaws SkyQ mini box via a powerline as their box keeps losing signal, is there any way to force it to use the wired connection but also keep the wifi mess side still working?

Thanks

Caporegime
Hi Guys

I have connected the inlaws SkyQ mini box via a powerline as their box keeps losing signal, is there any way to force it to use the wired connection but also keep the wifi mess side still working?

Thanks
It should default to wired if the option is there and the connection is better.

Soldato
It doesn't. You need to go into settings and reconfigure network I think then you can tell the main Sky Q box to use wired. Mini boxes don't give you that option, you need to reconfigure network then don't do anything when it prompts you to press WPS. Eventually (after some minutes) it will use wired. The whole thing is pretty rubbish because even after all that's done you've no idea its really using it properly.

Caporegime
I tried a new tactic, I rang sky again last week and got the same similar offer Sky Q 2TB , 2x minis, broadband Fibre Max

Entertainment
HD

£62

This time they offered £129 install fee and and extra £15 to install it on Sunday 14th OCT

I thought OK ( I can't deal with my Freesat box anymore the GUI and EPG do my head in ) so I bought it... they waived the weekend install fee.

Couple of days later the price dropped online to £59 for the same package albeit a £200+ install fee online

I rang sky and they intermediately dropped my monthly sub to £59 install still going ahead on the 14th Oct

Anyway a day later I rang them and told them I had changed my mind. I wanted to cancel the install, my circumstances had changed and I could no longer afford the subscription and best to cancel before activation.

They dropped my subscription again to £51 Sky Q 2TB , 2x minis, broadband Fibre Max and I said that might be manageable if they could refund my install fee of £129

A quick chat to supervisor and hey presto a refund of £129 to my credit card and new sub of 51 per month.

So this sunday:

Sky Q 2TB ,
2x minis,
Broadband Fibre Max

£51 per month
£0 install charge

Finally happy.

Associate
Hi all I’ve recently moved house and the WiFi coverage is terrible. I have 2 places I can put my sky q router but it still doesn’t cover the whole house. I have a bt extender but that isn’t great and it’s annoying having to keep switching network id’s.
So am wondering if I should buy a sky q booster as I can keep the same ssid or buy a new router if that would help? Or some devolo lan plugs?
Ideally want to have same ssid throughout the house. My son plays Nintendo in front room on one ssid but then loses connection moving rooms. I can hardwire my tv but it doesn’t help with Nintendo or phones.

I’m assuming my issues are due to having solid walls whereas previously I had plasterboard.

Caporegime
will sky not finance the extender with an appropriate narrative. ?
If it’s purely to extend your WiFi coverage as you get a poor WiFi signal or none at all in one part of the house then that’s a no, they’ll need to buy one. £39. If the poor signal is stopping the Sky Q service from working effectively an engineer visit should be organised and the engineer may fit a booster if one is required to maintain signal strength and quality for the Q system.

Associate
I only have a sky Q router not tv as well. I've had enough of sky and their customer service so contemplating moving to another provider. I can't get virgin where I live.
I have read that you shouldn't set extenders to the same ssid but not doing so is a real pain as things like nintendo switch and phones need to switch to other connections and i dont think the switch does it.
I wanted to know if the sky q booster would be any stronger than the bt extender I have as I assume that would use the same ssid as my router?

My choices seem to be take a chance on the sky q booster making a difference. Cost about £20-£30 used.
or
buy some devolo vlan 500's which have wired and wifi options. That way I can hard wire my fire tv's and the switch and phones can use the wifi from them. The only annoyance is again they will be different ssid's. cost £115 for 3 pack.
or
Ia there a better router for wifi range than the sky q one. I see some such as nighthawk has aerials on them?

Caporegime
What an absolute joke . The engineer came around with a face like a slapped backside. It was raining...he took one look at the satellite dish with a sky lnb on it and said he couldn’t get up there to that height for health and safety reasons...

He wanted to install another dish lower down and run a new cable into the lounge....the lounge already has two satellite cables already installed in it.

Then things went bad to worse...he said that the sky mini boxes wouldn’t work over WiFi due to the length from the router....I said you can connect them over cat 6 cable....he said he didn’t know how to do this....

He rang his mate from the study and proceeded to explain the setup...he clearly didn’t have a clue and just Came across like he CBA....

I said....all you need to do is swap out the lnb....fit a sky Q lnb then join the cables with a coupler and connect the box.

He said he couldn’t do what I wanted...

He wanted to install a new dish in a different location. Run a wire around my house and drill a new hole in the wall entering my lounge....

In the end I sent him packing....I rang sky to cancel and explained what had happened....

They apologised and said that I should get the dish and lnb installed by a third party and ring them when this is done and an engineer would come and connect the q boxes and the minis over lan....

I’m speechless !

Soldato
What an absolute joke . The engineer came around with a face like a slapped backside. It was raining...he took one look at the satellite dish with a sky lnb on it and said he couldn’t get up there to that height for health and safety reasons...
you drove the issue to cancellatron, despite having a good deal ? couldn't you pursuade them with a photo etc. that installation should be feasible ... didn't they do the original anyway ? but maybe h&s changed, or metrication of ladders

Caporegime
you drove the issue to cancellatron, despite having a good deal ? couldn't you pursuade them with a photo etc. that installation should be feasible ... didn't they do the original anyway ? but maybe h&s changed, or metrication of ladders

I’ve rang my cousin who runs his own business installing satellite and the like for pubs and clubs and gyms etc...

He said moving on is to fit a sky Q lnb myself....couple the cable to the lounge and just get the next engineer to connect the q box and minis...

Whatever they are paying for the sky eningeers he said it was one of the reason he left and started he is own businesss...Pickering engineers wanting the easy installs and shirking the difficult ones...

This guy didn’t want to get his ladders off his van by the look of it...

My install was not even difficult...all he needed to was fit the lnb connect two wires to the q box and lan and 2 x minis :rolleyes:

Soldato
I suppose if you install it yourself you can demand a further credit due to their inability,
but, I did not know kneck/clamp on old dish were necessarily compatible with new lnb (had you demanded a hybrid too)
[they replaced complete dish for us, BUT despite previous agreement did not install a hybrid, so i had this put into account notes, so that if we restart freesat receiver they will install hybrid gratis]

Back
Top Bottom