*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
So however you categories "the payment" basically theyre asking for £80 off you?
I think it was the same for me except the upfront was £90 +another £60 for an additional mini.
And they somehow combined the "installation fee" into that cost.

Did you go to retentions to bomb the price of the boxes?

Caporegime
So however you categories "the payment" basically theyre asking for £80 off you?
I think it was the same for me except the upfront was £90 +another £60 for an additional mini.
And they somehow combined the "installation fee" into that cost.

Did you go to retentions to bomb the price of the boxes?

Just 80

I was a sky customer years ago...so new customer...

Soldato
My box has started turning itself off all the time. It’s turned off 3 times within the last hour. Starting to wonder if it’s getting too hot due to how humid it currently is.

Standby mode is set to none.

our Sky +HD box has been doing this also. I assumed it was our one connect box which it's connected too but it still turns off when connected directly.

Did you get to the bottom of it?

Caporegime
Just 80

I was a sky customer years ago...so new customer...

So possibly your dish, and definitely your LNB will be non Sky Q compatible.

Therefore your installation fee will include the engineer having to change one or both of these.

Sounds pretty fair to me, and definitely not something that can be waived, the engineers need paying, they do not work for nothing.

Caporegime
So possibly your dish, and definitely your LNB will be non Sky Q compatible.

Therefore your installation fee will include the engineer having to change one or both of these.

Sounds pretty fair to me, and definitely not something that can be waived, the engineers need paying, they do not work for nothing.

Sky make millions on subscription services...I have had free installs before...

Soldato
I've had Sky Q for about two weeks now, but I'm having an issue with the Sky fibre speeds I'm receiving. As part of switching to Sky Q I upgraded from Fibre Unlimited to Fibre Max, taking the connection from 40Mbps to ~65Mbps. The new Sky Q hub arrived in the post about four or five days before Sky Q was installed and I switched over my old modem and router for the new hub. All worked fine for about three days, I ran speed tests via wired ethernet and wireless and was getting between 50 and 70Mbps, depending on what connection I was testing. Then about two or three days later the internet dropped out late in the evening and when it sorted itself out I noticed that the download speeds had dropped back to what I had with Fibre Unlimited.

I've had an engineer out for a separate issue and asked him about the internet speeds. He said that the connection would run regular stability tests and would settle on a speed that provided the most stable connection. Fair enough, but I'm paying more for Fibre Max and would really like the faster download speeds. I've tested the connection via the master socket and only got 40Mbps and I've been on the Sky hub web page and checked the router statistics, which returns a connection speed downstream of 76417kbps, a line attenuation of 10.7dB and noise margin of 6.2dB. Does anyone have any advice of what I can do? I've called Sky a few times but they always go through the same nonsense of resetting the router, moving it in case the problem is interference, etc.

Man of Honour
Any idea how to get 10 bit 4k working with an LG OLED? If I try and turn it on it says the TV isn't compatible (it is), and I can only choose 8k.

Soldato
Any news on the 'netflix' update? do we know how much extra it will be?will it be included in my sub or will it be extra?
I've not seen anything recently, but I can't imagine it will be included in your sub. It'll be just like Spotify where you can login and get it all in one screen.

Associate
Any news on the 'netflix' update? do we know how much extra it will be?will it be included in my sub or will it be extra?

I've not seen anything recently, but I can't imagine it will be included in your sub. It'll be just like Spotify where you can login and get it all in one screen.
I wasn't aware of this - so they're adding it as an app? That's interesting...

Caporegime
Sky make millions on subscription services...I have had free installs before...

I have been a continuous Sky customer for over 17 years, I also got no discounts on installation fee when i upgraded to Q.

Was a little annoyed, but when the engineer came and spent 5 hours replacing dish, LNB, all the cabling, and setting everything up the £60 was more than realistic in my mind.

Caporegime
I have been a continuous Sky customer for over 17 years, I also got no discounts on installation fee when i upgraded to Q.

Was a little annoyed, but when the engineer came and spent 5 hours replacing dish, LNB, all the cabling, and setting everything up the £60 was more than realistic in my mind.

The install fee is just a way of making more money...the install fee is not seperate to pay for the engineers....lol

Engineers just work for sky....just like the sales team or anyone else...

I built my my house installed a satalite matrix in the study and a dish...the sky guy came around complimented me on my install and having 4 satalite cables and cat 6 in every room...he was here like 5 minutes...

Soldato

Ive been a customer since 2004, to be fair I have had some fees waived in the past with some heavy negotiation.

But they seemed quite strict where the Q was concerned.

To be fair, the engineer stayed for a good couple of hours and really took his time to explain everything.
And even when I had problems with my first Q box, the second engineer who came out, pleasant guy, very knowledgeable and really didn't mess me around when I explained the problem that I had. New box, no fuss, job done.

So I considered it worthwhile investment in that alone.

And also, the fact the boxes are owned by Sky, which means anything goes wrong, its up to them to fix it (I presume!)

the sky guy came around complimented me on my install and having 4 satalite cables and cat 6 in every room...he was here like 5 minutes...

Is it only me who thought of this when I read the above :)

hqdefault.jpg

(I know it wasn't quite the same, but its close :))

Back
Top Bottom