*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
Nope new LNB needs to be fitted too, you mention another box if that's the case the technician will change both boxes and the "main" box will be with the 4k tv. The other box will then be a mini box as the mini is 1080p only.

To be frank UHD on sky doesn't really give any wow factor above 1080p due to its output with no HDR and only 8bit colour. Netflix or Amazon blow it out of the water.
Cheers for the reply, I’ll stick to Netflix and prime for now. I’ll get it done when lockdown eases.

Associate
Hi peeps on sk q 2tb box is there a full list anywhere of the menus secret or otherwise and is there any way to empty the deleted recordings folder in one go rather than individually when I have so many full series on it.

Is ok problem solved I keep forgetting about that google chappie

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hi peeps on sk q 2tb box is there a full list anywhere of the menus secret or otherwise and is there any way to empty the deleted recordings folder in one go rather than individually when I have so many full series on it.

Is ok problem solved I keep forgetting about that google chappie

You shouldn't need to, the box will flag programs for deletion if it needs the space for new recordings but if you want to delete whole stacks, as I think you've found, you can do so within Disk Space.

Soldato
Have a SkyQ 2tb box. I have to do a hard restart(using the power cord) almost every week! Remote just would not change any channel, no volume control or anything and there is this channel info glass pane stuck in the TV(LG E9 65). Is the SkyQ box faulty?

Caporegime
Have a SkyQ 2tb box. I have to do a hard restart(using the power cord) almost every week! Remote just would not change any channel, no volume control or anything and there is this channel info glass pane stuck in the TV(LG E9 65). Is the SkyQ box faulty?
The remote volume should work as it’s a control of the TV not the box. Does the box work after a reboot? It might be worth trying to reset the remote. Press and hold 1&3 on the remote and follow the instructions.

Soldato
The remote volume should work as it’s a control of the TV not the box. Does the box work after a reboot? It might be worth trying to reset the remote. Press and hold 1&3 on the remote and follow the instructions.
Thank you for the response.
I did see this in another article and tried it, but no go. Remote does not respond to any key when this happens. Not even the remote power button. Only way is to do the hard power cycle/restart. Box work normal for another week or so after this and happens again. Last time it was yesterday - had to do it twice within a 30 min window and thought this is escalating now!
I have a harmony remote as well and the box does not respond to either remote when this happens.

Soldato
Thank you for the response.
I did see this in another article and tried it, but no go. Remote does not respond to any key when this happens. Not even the remote power button. Only way is to do the hard power cycle/restart. Box work normal for another week or so after this and happens again. Last time it was yesterday - had to do it twice within a 30 min window and thought this is escalating now!
I have a harmony remote as well and the box does not respond to either remote when this happens.

time for a new box methinks. Could be anything, even a HDD failure. I find these boxes are pretty hit and miss. I’m on my 3rd box since being installed in November

Soldato
time for a new box methinks. Could be anything, even a HDD failure. I find these boxes are pretty hit and miss. I’m on my 3rd box since being installed in November
:( only got it end of last year. hard disk does make a small noise(even when not downloading anything and on standby) but i thought that was normal, and the sound is amplified because it is sitting on a wooden TV unit.
I thought of contacting Sky few months back but thought there is something that i am doing wrong.

Soldato
:( only got it end of last year. hard disk does make a small noise(even when not downloading anything and on standby) but i thought that was normal, and the sound is amplified because it is sitting on a wooden TV unit.
I thought of contacting Sky few months back but thought there is something that i am doing wrong.

Disable eco mode and also disable HDMI control on the sky q box and see if it still does it (I read you had a harmony so this should be off but double check anyway)

The Oled had an update a few months back that caused my AVR to turn off after 15 minutes when using ARC (receiver assumed no signal) check your HDMI control settings on the TV also.

Soldato
Disable eco mode and also disable HDMI control on the sky q box and see if it still does it (I read you had a harmony so this should be off but double check anyway)

The Oled had an update a few months back that caused my AVR to turn off after 15 minutes when using ARC (receiver assumed no signal) check your HDMI control settings on the TV also.

Thank you. I have now disabled both eco mode and hdmi control. Will keep monitoring.
Yes I did notice the AV turning off sometime ago. Thought nothing of it and just turned it back on :)

Soldato
Thank you. I have now disabled both eco mode and hdmi control. Will keep monitoring.
Yes I did notice the AV turning off sometime ago. Thought nothing of it and just turned it back on :)

To fix the AVR issue go in to the AVR menus and within eco mode or equivalent disable auto shutdown after 15 minutes. Let us know if the problems continue or likewise have gone :)

Btw.
I have sky q to Denon AVR then to my Oled. The Oled has HDMI control on for ARC and the Denon I have ARC on but all HDMI control off on all inputs. Sky q HDMI control is off also.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone know if I can get the 4k box as a self install? I have the 1tb regular box and got a second mini box delivered (which was really fast) but obviously I didn't bother to research and although it works fine, we can it it one at a time.

Soldato
There was talk a year or two ago about Sky delivering their services over IPTV rather than the traditional satellite, did anything happen with this?

I know there is Now TV but that’s not exactly the same in terms of packages, hardware and access to BBC, ITV, etc.

Associate
I been sent a offer in the post to get Sky TV UHD and Ultrafast Fibre broadband for £45 a month is this a good deal?

How good is Sky Ultrafast Fibre broadband up to 145 Mbps?

I am on Fibre up to 80 Mbps with Zen + phone with call package for £42.50.

For my TV I use have a dish (Freesat on my TV), can I still receive Freesat on a Sky Q setup?

In the past I have just used a NOW TV Box when I wanted some Sky channels

Thanks

Simon

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the sky fibre BB with Q hub and its fine, if you have the Q tv and mini q boxes they act as WiFi extenders. Most BB providers apart from Virgin use the same Openreach network so they should all be similar. It really comes down the the hub you are provided with

Back
Top Bottom