*** Sky Q Thread ***

V F

V F

Soldato
2TB is really enough IMO. Any bigger and people start using it as permanent storage and that's not what it's meant for. I'm even finding a 1TB box is plenty but then I'm really the only one that uses it and don't record that much.

The problem is there is a lot of films that is no longer listed on Sky to download or listed that are still on my boxes that I like to rewatch. If I did as it suggests, I wouldn't be able to view them again. Some of the films on my boxes hasn't been in Sky's catalogue for years.

Soldato
I'd got for the free 2tb Sky Q box and Extra Room at £8 for 18 months, but just can't justify (once the offer has ended) basically £180 a year for watching Sky Q in a bedroom.

Soldato
I'd got for the free 2tb Sky Q box and Extra Room at £8 for 18 months, but just can't justify (once the offer has ended) basically £180 a year for watching Sky Q in a bedroom.
Yeah that's what they will do for the old man but he's old skool and only watches TV in the lounge so dislikes the idea of paying for a service he's not going to use but that said it maybe worth doing it to get the Q and then trying to negotiate some further discounts from the rest of his package to offset.

Man of Honour
My contract is up at the end of January so I'll have the discount merry go round game to play soon, or I just take out Virgin V6 or whatever it's called.

RJC

RJC

Don
Do you mean an old Sky+ HD box?

Nope, Sky Q box, The Technician come September 2020 upgraded the old Sky Q box to the UHD one and said he leave it with me just in Sky wanted back and it may get lost in his van.

Still waiting for sky to send me the details to return it - 18 Months later.

V F

V F

Soldato
I watch sports so they have me by the balls.

I remember a time when Sky was the best when it came to sports/motorsports. They had every sport you wanted back in their day. Unless it was a boxing night or something along those lines, you were paying extra premium.

Now, today most of it is on BT. Even a lot of the football premiership is on BT as well. Even the majority of lesser motorsport is on BT.

BT today seems to be where Sky was in the 90s and 00s.

V F

V F

Soldato
I have BT but I’m a massive F1 and motorsport fan. As soon as Sky no longer have that contract I’m off.

There wont be much left to the sports package if that happens. It's mainly golf, some premiership football and mostly the lesser leagues, cricket, NBA, NFL, Darts, Rugby. Sometimes some GT racing but it isn't on a lot.

What does BT sports have? If Sky has it they have lesser showings what BT has of the category.

Seems more Football premiership games than Sky. 52 exclusive live Premier League games per season
Cricket
UFC
Rugby League
Boxing
MotoGP
WWE
Tennis
F1
Golf
Hockey
Aussie Rugby
eSports
Motorsports
Athletics
ML Baseball
NFL
Fishing
Cycling
Snooker
Gymnastics
NBA Basketball
Nascar

Soldato
2TB is really enough IMO. Any bigger and people start using it as permanent storage and that's not what it's meant for. I'm even finding a 1TB box is plenty but then I'm really the only one that uses it and don't record that much.
I use mine for permanent storage, I have things on mine that are no longer available on demand from sky

V F

V F

Soldato
I use mine for permanent storage, I have things on mine that are no longer available on demand from sky

You know what the shocking thing is... I did this for one other main reason. It's shocking to see recordings on my box as far back as 2013 and seeing how much Sky has butchered video and sound quality over the years. The files are massive on some of my boxes compared to what is being recorded today. Yet the old recordings are pretty close to Blu-Ray quality. Not quite but close.

Some films like Lord of the Rings back then would be over 20GB for each part.

Where now, it's horribly soft and bordering out of focus with so much compression they've been applying. Plus most films now recorded are at most 2.6GB. As some older films from 2013/14 ranged 8 - 9.xxGB. But the bigger file sizes are worth the image quality.

Men at Work 1990 recorded on MGM back in 2013, 107 minutes 9.06GB. Yet the picture quality and sound is glorious. Today? Nope, it's quite abysmal the picture quality on Sky Movies broadcast for the majority of films.

You can really see how much Sky has butchered the image quality when the Plasma shows up all the banding and macro blocking in the shadows for quite dark films. Even Standard Definition DVDs look nothing like this. A lot of films on Sky with so much compression that they've added you're losing the film grain from some films.

People on the AV Forums has been talking about this even with Sky Q over the years as well.

Back
Top Bottom