*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
Not liking the idea of one central box storing all recordings, currently we have 3 HD+ boxes on multiroom and we all record our own programs. One central box would soon fill up especially if your going to be able to record 4k programs as we've currently got 2 4k tvs and possibly getting a 3rd in a few months.

Soldato
If Sky actually broadcast programmes in 1080p I'd be happy. 4k without content is wasted. Few years before 4k has a decent amount to actually watch. Everyone just wants prices (for 4k Q box and 1080p Q box and the satellite Q wifi boxes)

Soldato
What good is 1080p broadcast where the problem most of the time is shocking bitrates.

I'm guessing he means decent bit rate 1080p, because currently it's well below what it could be.

I think it's a bit ridiculous rolling out all this fancy new stuff and 4k before all channels are 1080p as standard.

FUUUUU, this better have IR too :(

So you can use IR blaster on your phone?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
No so that i can control the boxes, my box is currently racked with all of my network and server hardware in a central location with IR repeaters running into it. :)

Bluetooth has no range so wont work. This sort of setup is extremely common in bars and hotels etc too. Hopefully it'll have IR too as otherwise how does the remote control the TV functions, thinking about it, it must have IR too.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
What i was meaning is does the new SkyQ remote also feature IR as well as BT. I then realised that it must do, as otherwise it would not be able to control the TV volume/power etc.

Associate
What i was meaning is does the new SkyQ remote also feature IR as well as BT. I then realised that it must do, as otherwise it would not be able to control the TV volume/power etc.

The volume control would be for a TV. It doesn't need the Sky Q box to be on.

Whilst the new remotes do have BT, I've been assured by someone who should know that the new Sky Q boxes can also be controlled by an existing Sky+ HD remote. Since the Sky+ HD remotes are IR only, please take this to mean that you should be able to control your Sky Q box with such a remote.

Now this doesn't mean that you'll be able to use all the functions on the Sky Q remote, if any, to control the Sky Q box with an IR sender. That I don't know.

If you were to keep a Sky+ HD remote to hand you should be able to do most of the 'normal' things on a Sky Q box.

At this time I can't be sure that the Sky+ app will work with a Sky Q box either. There are already a few buttons I would love to have replicated in the Sky+ app (e.g. coloured buttons) as there are functions that aren't being supported by the app. This could become more of an issue in the future.

If all the buttons could be replicated, then this would also mean that there would be less of a call to have an IR sender IMHO.

Of course I did get a clear impression that Sky are wishing to encourage people to have a Sky Q Mini connected directly to each TV rather than using a HDMI splitters. I realise that many members might not like this but it was the impression I got.

Associate
I doubt that they'll invest in changing the Sky+ HD remote, but who knows?

There are a few things that have changed over the past few years since Sky started working hard to revamp the EPG. One major change is the introduction of the Home page.

The home page is access with the 'TV Guide' button.

How would they do it though? There are several million Sky+ HD and SkyHD STBs out there. Taking just the DRX89x figures alone you are talking well over 5 million boxes.

Would every owner be provided with one free remote or would we all be asked to purchase a new remote?

That's a LOT of money for someone however you look at it.

Soldato
All the HD channels broadcast on Freview are rated at 1080i. Both my TVs have Freeview HD tuners and both confirm this information.

Freeview dynamically changes between 1080i50 and 1080p25 (both 25fps) depending on the contents GOP. To all intents and purposes they are the same - but doing it can improve quality slightly depending on the source material and also allows for more efficient use of variable bitrates.

Sky and Virgin both broadcast entirely at 1080i50 and this is unlikely to change.

Last edited:
Associate
Freeview dynamically changes between 1080i50 and 1080p25 (both 25fps)...

Ok I wasn't aware of that.

I did do some work for my own benefit about a year ago for my own benefit. I was looking at which format to use for creating and editing together some videos that I would later post on YouTube.

At the time 50p and 60p was a little too much for the laptop and desktop I was using.

50i just looked like rubbish on the computer and TV. This was due to the lines in the frames when things were moving. Broadcast TV manages to handle this much better.

In the end I went for 1080 @25p but it isn't perfect.

Thankfully the software I've been using makes up for the issues I saw.

Associate
I live in a block of flats. How would installation work as I heard these things will have 12 tuners?

Sky Q only requires 2 feeds from the dish.

However you will need to check with the management company to ensure that the LNB on the dish has been upgraded to work with Sky Q. If it helps all new installations since around last summer where Sky has been involved have had a compatible LNB fitted automatically.

Direct them to the page I've linked below if they need any further help.

https://communaltv.sky.com/

Man of Honour
I wish they'd hurry the **** up and just announce the damn pricing. We move house soon and I don't want to shift everything across and then get the information about ordering.

Back
Top Bottom