*** Sky Q Thread ***

V F

V F

Soldato
I just hope they don't slowly degrade HD like the transition from SD to HD. The macroblocking back in the Sky SD football days was beyond awful. Any panning and it became a blocky mess.

Degrade HD to force you onto their new service.

Caporegime
There are already thousands of customers who pay more than £100 a month without any discounts.

It won't be a replacement for the existing service, as said it's something above Sky+HD and you can't mix the two.

Associate
I'll be interested in this when they start broadcasting 4K content, until then, I doubt i'd use the benefits of the SkyQ box.

It really depends on your setup.

For anyone who has a multiscreen set up, Sky Q really could be beneficial.

For those who like to watch TV content on a tablet, Sky Q does something no one else does.

If you just watch the one Sky+ HD STB and have no interest in using a tablet or smart phone (Sky Q support coming later this year), then there is little benefit at this time, other than a whole new EPG style.

Soldato
For it to be beneficial it needs to be cheaper than existing solution.

If Sky Q works as I believe it does (I might be wrong, so feel free to correct me), I disagree that it needs to be cheaper.

From what I've read, you still need multiple Sky Q boxes for multi-room but they don't need to be connected to the dish and that solves the mess of having extra wires and needing to drill through walls (for new multi-room installed). This is because the main Sky Q box will feed content via WiFi, or through powerline adapters if you're looking for something more reliable.

Don't get me wrong, I think subscription TV offers extremely poor value and seems to buck the trend that more competition = better value for consumers. For example, Sky's sports packages haven't become any cheaper despite losing Champions League to BT.

I've really had enough of all the current TV providers. 90% of the channels I don't watch because they're just full of dross, movie packages just show the same set of movies on repeat for a quarter and then repeat a different set the next.

I think I'm going to opt for a base Virgin package for unlimited 150mbit and will just pay a IPTV subscription for my sports and other things. Although saying that, it wouldn't surprise me if Virgin only offer unlimited 150mbit as part of a package of stuff that I don't want.

Caporegime
How much for extra Sky Q boxes, like the Mini?

Edit: Ah, an extra £99 per box.

Wait, you aren't actually buying the hardware, it's loaned? wtf?

Last edited:
Soldato
How much for extra Sky Q boxes, like the Mini?

Edit: Ah, an extra £99 per box.

Wait, you aren't actually buying the hardware, it's loaned? wtf?

Pricing seems 'optimistic'. If it's rented equipment then they have to maintain it/replace it if faulty.

Man of Honour
Its on the link above - £50 more for existing customers plus losing current half price offer - tough decision. Not.

Where did you see the £50 more? That's not what it said at all

The only thing I can see is from £12 a month more for existing customers, with £12 being for those who already have a full bundle (movies, sports etc)

Soldato
Its in the small print at the bottom of the page.

Its basically £6.00 or £6.75 extra a month - assuming you are currently paying full price. But as nobody pays full price its a substantial increase. Plus £50 for installation and up to £299 for the equipment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom