*** Sky Q Thread ***

Associate
Yes Sky have indicated that Sky Q will cost more than a Sky+ HD setup. Just how much more we don't know at this time.

You don't NEED to have the Sky Q Hub to have the Sky Q TV package. Of course if you happen to have a Sky Broadband package, then it would make good sense to have it, but it isn't necessary.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
The volume control would be for a TV. It doesn't need the Sky Q box to be on.

Whilst the new remotes do have BT, I've been assured by someone who should know that the new Sky Q boxes can also be controlled by an existing Sky+ HD remote. Since the Sky+ HD remotes are IR only, please take this to mean that you should be able to control your Sky Q box with such a remote.

Now this doesn't mean that you'll be able to use all the functions on the Sky Q remote, if any, to control the Sky Q box with an IR sender. That I don't know.

If you were to keep a Sky+ HD remote to hand you should be able to do most of the 'normal' things on a Sky Q box.

At this time I can't be sure that the Sky+ app will work with a Sky Q box either. There are already a few buttons I would love to have replicated in the Sky+ app (e.g. coloured buttons) as there are functions that aren't being supported by the app. This could become more of an issue in the future.

If all the buttons could be replicated, then this would also mean that there would be less of a call to have an IR sender IMHO.

Of course I did get a clear impression that Sky are wishing to encourage people to have a Sky Q Mini connected directly to each TV rather than using a HDMI splitters. I realise that many members might not like this but it was the impression I got.

We are clearly not understanding one-another. Lets be clear: I have no interest or question regarding the existing SkyHD remote.

What i was wondering, is if the SkyQ remote features IR control of the SkyQ STB? :)

Clearly the SkyQ remote must feature an IR transmitter, or it would be unable to control the users TV (Volume, power). Also clearly the SkyQ STB features an IR receiver if Sky have stated that legacy remotes will function. I have to assume therefore that the SkyQ remote will also transmit IR commands to the STB, as well as via BT?

Associate
I have not completely misunderstood you.

Yes the new remotes have an IR sender. Definitely this would allow them to control a TV.

They also have BT.

The BT is definitely used to control some of the features.

Whether the new remotes use IR to control some of them I couldn't say.

In the demonstration we were shown, the remote wasn't being pointed at the Sky Q Silver box.

I'll leave you to work out what that means.

Now the Sky Q Mini has a different remote to the Sky Q and Sky Q Silver. It is possible that more of the remote's controls are sent via IR, but I wouldn't could on it.

My point is, which you may have missed, is that whilst the remotes supplied with the Sky Q TV box range all have BT, you can use a Sky+ HD remote if you prefer. It is also possible to use a One-for-All remote if it is suitably programmed.

However what I can't say at this time, because I've not had an opportunity to play with one and get through all the potential permutations of questions that are being asked, is whether or not all the features can be access via IR.

Actually, scrub that, when Voice control is launched later this year, IR will be defunct. Well in so much that IR will most definitely not allow you to everything.

Below are a couple of images. Note that the remote for the Sky Q & Sky Q Silver that there is no fast forward or rewind buttons. This is because it works in a similar way to the Sky+ app.

With the remote for the Sky Q Mini there are buttons. Both remotes will work all the boxes.

Sky Q & Sky Q Silver remote:
Sky%20Q%20touch%20remote%20small_zpsbzzys8ij.jpg

Sky Q Mini with remote:
Sky%20Q%20Mini%20with%20remote%20small_zps19dl1umg.jpg

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
OK, so the answer is "probably", but we don't know yet :) It certainly looks like a nice system all the same.

Soldato
Sky Q only requires 2 feeds from the dish.

However you will need to check with the management company to ensure that the LNB on the dish has been upgraded to work with Sky Q. If it helps all new installations since around last summer where Sky has been involved have had a compatible LNB fitted automatically.

Direct them to the page I've linked below if they need any further help.

https://communaltv.sky.com/

I will look into this thanks! Don't think I have to worry about this for another year since I just re-signed for another year. Doubt there will be any sort of offer for existing customers (if at all).

Soldato
I have to assume therefore that the SkyQ remote will also transmit IR commands to the STB, as well as via BT?

I imagine if it's sending a Bluetooth command it wouldn't also send the IR one, otherwise the box could end up doubling-up on inputted commands. The remote will know when it's connected to Bluetooth and just not send IR to the box in that instance.

Either that, or the box ignores IR when the Bluetooth remote is connected.

Associate
I know its a few years old now, but the existing Sky+ HD remote has always been a popular design. The ergonomics and positioning of the buttons have always worked well.

However it's worth pointing out that it is a design used by other providers across the globe.

I haven't done any searches recently for the new remote to see if the design is similar to other providers. It may be that we'll need to give it a few months for such images to appear on the Internet.

V F

V F

Soldato
It lacks a lot of modern EPG functions. Yes Sky is like the home button or live tv setting. I certainly never use the box office, services and interactive buttons.

The silver remote reminds me of a design style from mini touch Panasonic Veira. Though I do hope, hope the text on the buttons hold up better on these new remotes from Sky. Sky seems to be the only remote I suffer with worn text. It takes a while but it will eventually happen.

Other remotes seem to have robust print.

It is also a nice change the record button is a very distinctive red button. On the current remotes it eventually fades as well. At least these new remotes aren't a washed out red.

Soldato
Quite a few previews are expecting it to breach the £100 a month limit. After reading a couple it sounds a right waste of money. Same channels as SkyHD+. Not interested in netflix etc. Only points of interest for me would be more tuners to record more channels simultaneously. Dont even care about 4k content.

Its being billed as a premium Sky product which sits above Sky HD+ not replacing it. I reckon they have gone crazy it should be a replacement for Sky HD+ no one is going to buy this unless you've got more money than sense.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Quite a few previews are expecting it to breach the £100 a month limit. After reading a couple it sounds a right waste of money. Same channels as SkyHD+. Not interested in netflix etc. Only points of interest for me would be more tuners to record more channels simultaneously. Dont even care about 4k content.

Its being billed as a premium Sky product which sits above Sky HD+ not replacing it. I reckon they have gone crazy it should be a replacement for Sky HD+ no one is going to buy this unless you've got more money than sense.

If this is the case then surely takeup will be low. I assumed that this was simply a progression from SkyHD. I certainly would not be interested in paying an additional premium for what amounts to a nicer remote, more tuners, and a better EPG.

V F

V F

Soldato
If this is the case then surely takeup will be low. I assumed that this was simply a progression from SkyHD. I certainly would not be interested in paying an additional premium for what amounts to a nicer remote, more tuners, and a better EPG.

A good touch Harmony remote is £100.

V F

V F

Soldato
One-off cost though.

£100 a month would be madness, I really can't see it happening

True, true though! People are being priced out of football stadiums so you never know. After all, isn't it over £100 for Arsenal and other goodies for one game?

Somebody will always pay it.

Back
Top Bottom