Sky Stream - Launches *NOW* (post #1 for pricing / page #5 for pics)

Soldato

Hopefully the prices are on some kind of deal like they are with Sky Glass

I might give this a go, didn't want the TV, but do want sky and freeview channels (no aerial in bedrooms). Had SkyQ ages ago, but gave up as could never get the mini boxes to work reliably.

With Sky Stream, Sky is offering ultimate flexibility and great value. You can opt for either a 31-day rolling plan from £29 a month that can be cancelled at any time, or an 18-month contract from just £26 a month, both of which include Sky Ultimate TV & Netflix Basic. You can also add on packs and services including Sky Cinema, Sky Sports, BT Sport and UHD & Dolby Atmos.

If you’d like Sky TV on more than one telly, upgrade to the Whole Home pack for an extra £12 a month, letting you have up to five additional Sky Stream devices wherever you’d like in your home.

There is a £39.95 set-up fee (or £20 if you take an 18-month contract), no need for engineer installation, and next-day delivery is standard so you can enjoy great content with Sky Stream quickly and easily. Plus, there’s a one-year warranty.

SOFT LAUNCH OVER THE PHONE - NOW WITH OFFERS!!

Discounts for 18 months
31 day contract

1st Sky Stream Box FREE (No P&P)
2nd Sky Steam Box £20
3rd+ Sky Stream Box £39.95

Sky Ultimate £26 (£15 with discount)
Multiroom £10
Netflix Premium £8
Sky Cinema £11
Sky Sports £25
4K Atmos £5

Free Advert Skipping for 12 months then £5 per month

E1wyNT2.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I might be interested in this once the pricing is clearer. Have an unreliable communal aerial system in my flat so will be useful and don’t have to ask permission for a dish.

Edit - I hope you can opt out of the Netflix part.

I don't think you can. It's built into the entertainment package (or whatever sky are calling it these days).

Soldato
OP
No worse than Virgin :)

Sky Stream is an interesting product but the only question I have is I assume you can't record programs as the point of the product is that you stream instead. Say I want to watch an episode of something more obscure on Discovery Turbo for example that's not on a traditional on-demand service like ITV Hub, iPlayer, UKTV Play etc, how does it work?

I've read a rumour that sky are looking into cloud recording, where they do the recording and you just stream. Sounds like a lot of data storage to me.

Basically like a weeks worth of catchup.

Now that everythings digital, they already have the data, they just broadcast it on a schedule. They'll simply hold it for a week in a catchup planner.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
As far as I can see they haven't actually specified if you have to pay for the box itself. They give you a puck for free when you take the whole home subscription with Sky Glass, then charge £50 each for additional pucks. I can't see them giving these things away so if it's an additional £50 for just one, on top of the £39.95 setup fee, plus the £26 or £29 channel package, plus £5 for UHD/HDR/Atmos plus £8 for Netflix premium (as it is with Glass) then it very quickly adds up to a not very good value proposition...

I think the first puck will be free. Maybe that's why they have the £40 setup fee.

Soldato
OP
I've just had a thought - they would only need to store the recording once. That one recording could be streamed to whoever wants to watch it in the future. The show could be tagged so for someone to re-watch that recording it would just need a tag put on that persons "watch later" list. It won't need to be recorded for every single person who wants to watch it later just the once. In theory it wouldn't be a recording then it would just be a re-stream of that "program". If you get me?

Yeah, I think that's how they are doing it. There is the playlist feature rather than the recording section which I assume is exactly that.
When you think about it, when they broadcast it live, they are just streaming a video file anyway, so like you say, they only need to keep it available for streaming. I'm sure this is where the £5 extra to skip adverts comes into it as well. They just take the ad markers off the stream.

Soldato
OP
oh the excitement. Track it. :p You can do us a review.
Your Sky order will be delivered today by Bradley, your DPD driver, between 17:53 and 18:53. Our driver is running a little behind and should be with you shortly

The tracking doesn't show a van on the road. Just a logo for the depot, and a home logo on a local post office.

Soldato
OP
Right, so even though my boxes didn't turn up today my online account has changed. I can see the boxes, and also this interesting screen.

Does this mean I can let my parents watch sky? I mean they are family :cry:

qWUFjl2.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom