*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Man of Honour
hey guys, I am after a little bit of advice here.

I pay for my elderly mother's sky, it is a regular single Sky HD box based account, and is in my name and all she watches is sports and "regular tv"
I have noticed of late the bill has increased substantially and now sits at £65 per month.
What is the best method (phone number or online chat ) to begin negotiating this price down a little.

I never begrudge my dear old mum anything, but I feel now at £65 per month it is no where near value.

Thanks in advance.
I just quit Sky. I had entertainment, films and children's channels which was about £56. They asked if I would stay for any offers but I said no at the time. A few weeks later I got a letter offering just entertainment for £13 a month on a new 12 month contract (and then reverts to £22 a month after the 12 month contract is up). So I'd be tempted to just call them to quit and see what they say. Sports will be extra though obviously.

Soldato
hey guys, I am after a little bit of advice here.

I pay for my elderly mother's sky, it is a regular single Sky HD box based account, and is in my name and all she watches is sports and "regular tv"
I have noticed of late the bill has increased substantially and now sits at £65 per month.
What is the best method (phone number or online chat ) to begin negotiating this price down a little.

I never begrudge my dear old mum anything, but I feel now at £65 per month it is no where near value.

Thanks in advance.
Phone them, ask what offers are available for you this month. If nothing suits, ask to be put through to retentions/cancellations. You'll usually be offered something.

I've managed the same outcome on the phone as I have online chat. So whatever suits you best I guess?

Associate
Well wife had a call from retentions. They wouldn't offer anything better than we are currently paying worked out to £5 cheaper than what they offered previously which is £47 for the entertainment bundle, boxsets, movies, kids. And a sky q mini. would have been better if i could have spoken to them as shes not much good at haggling. So that is that unless they ring again got to go through the hassle of arranging to post all the equipment back and sort a new provider. Bit miffed really as they just aren't bothered about keeping custom anymore.

What i need to know is if i can use the dish to get freeview tv? Not sure its setup as a quad lnb or whatever it is supposed to be?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well wife had a call from retentions. They wouldn't offer anything better than we are currently paying worked out to £5 cheaper than what they offered previously which is £47 for the entertainment bundle, boxsets, movies, kids. And a sky q mini. would have been better if i could have spoken to them as shes not much good at haggling. So that is that unless they ring again got to go through the hassle of arranging to post all the equipment back and sort a new provider. Bit miffed really as they just aren't bothered about keeping custom anymore.

What i need to know is if i can use the dish to get freeview tv? Not sure its setup as a quad lnb or whatever it is supposed to be?
If you have Q then the dish will NOT be compatible with Freesat, the LNB is a wide band one and this is incompatible with most Freesat boxes.

Associate
@MissChief i just had a gander at the F&F codes. Are they obtainable for current customers? I want to stay with these bloody imps but they aren't making it easy :D
I don't mind what we are on now which is £43 pm for what i listed previously. But this time i'd like a 2TB box for UHD and another Q mini in the future when costs might of calmed down.

Caporegime
@MissChief i just had a gander at the F&F codes. Are they obtainable for current customers? I want to stay with these bloody imps but they aren't making it easy :D
I don't mind what we are on now which is £43 pm for what i listed previously. But this time i'd like a 2TB box for UHD and another Q mini in the future when costs might of calmed down.
New customers only I’m afraid. Do you have Multiscreen at the moment as I might have a Q offer if you don’t.

Man of Honour

Just carry on using the Sky box and dish. You'll be able to receive the freesat channels on that. Take your Sky card out and see what I mean.

Associate
Yeah I've always wondered with the mentality of people who are selling Q equipment on eBay. When they are cancelling they are definitely being told they need to return the equipment, so they either think they can get away with it and are then hit with the hardware charges so they hastily remove the listings, or they are trying to recoup some of the hardware costs when a sucker buys these bricked Q boxes.

Soldato
The non-return fees are quite punchy:

Sky Owned Equipment and Non-Return charge:

• Sky Q 1TB box - £100 / €130
• Sky Q 2TB box - £140 / €182
• Sky Q Mini box - £50 / €65
• Sky Q Hub - £30 / €39
• Sky Broadband Booster - £45 / €45

Associate
I decided to cancel my conract with Sky and did so with a months notice and was informed all was well and nothing further needed to be done as my new provider is going to take over in a few weeks. Then on last Saturday at around 9pm I get an email saying they have suspended my account and want additional funds and until I have paid roughly £40, they will slowly turn off what services I have (and they did on Sat night). I called up this morning and was told they had no such call on file for my cancellation and she added that they did nothing wrong, so as I understand it, Sky has stalled the transfer and I have to pay £40 before they will end the contract.

Long, sorry.. Has "anybody" here or that you know of, had anything like this happen to them?

TY

Associate
I decided to cancel my conract with Sky and did so with a months notice and was informed all was well and nothing further needed to be done as my new provider is going to take over in a few weeks. Then on last Saturday at around 9pm I get an email saying they have suspended my account and want additional funds and until I have paid roughly £40, they will slowly turn off what services I have (and they did on Sat night). I called up this morning and was told they had no such call on file for my cancellation and she added that they did nothing wrong, so as I understand it, Sky has stalled the transfer and I have to pay £40 before they will end the contract.

Long, sorry.. Has "anybody" here or that you know of, had anything like this happen to them?

TY

Did you get any emails confirming the cancellation, when you placed it? The system generates such emails, so you should have at least one confirming the date, if it was indeed placed. If you don't have such emails, then an advisor probably lied to you and never accessed the account (had they accessed it then a footprint would have been left).

You've also most likely cancelled the Direct Debit or missed a payment and that is why the system flagged you and blocked the services.

Were you looking to cancel an account that was only landline and broadband, or did you have TV as well? Did the new provider take over in the end or were they due to do so soon?

Soldato
So re contract time for me -

Sky Q Silver
2tb box
Mini box
Movies
Sports
Entertainment
Box sets
Fibre unlimited
Anytime phone calls

Sky want £108 a month for 18 months - should I barter harder ? I’m thinking this is about right .

Soldato
So re contract time for me -

Sky Q Silver
2tb box
Mini box
Movies
Sports
Entertainment
Box sets
Fibre unlimited
Anytime phone calls

Sky want £108 a month for 18 months - should I barter harder ? I’m thinking this is about right .

Minus the broadband (which I'd value at £25) I'm paying £56 for the same TV package

Back
Top Bottom