SkyF1 vs Channel 4 coverage of F1

Associate
Express VPN via Germany. Not sure if that will actually help you though.

Well it prob gives an idea what NOT to use

I have Sky for now but if/when their price increases get too much I may VPN to whichever country seems best value - Portugal, Poland, Greece and RSA all get F1 for $49.99 pa which beats $110 for Dk/Sv/No (ouch!)

Soldato
Yes and no. The main feed you're seeing on Sky is identical to F1TV from the moment that you get the F1TV logo and the montage with the grid line-up. Before that F1TV was in a pre-show that doesn't transition quite as smoothly as on Sky - because F1TV isn't a channel. It's more like watching YouTube or iPlayer.

You get the pre-race show and the post-race show, plus Tech Talk and Jolyon Palmer's analysis are on F1TV. No Teds Notebook sadly. Sky add some commentary on top of what you're seeing on F1TV, like the grid walk, and the commentary straight after the race.

You get a lot more then that.

Pit lane channel (trust me its the way to watch), shows you 3 cams at once, of which 2 are nearly always onboard's. It has its own commentary team which in my opinion is better than sky.

You can also choose to use any onboard you want, view multiple feeds at once and have access to live timing feed.

Plus after race all feeds are available as VODs.

Associate

Pit lane channel (trust me its the way to watch), shows you 3 cams at once, of which 2 are nearly always onboard's. It has its own commentary team which in my opinion is better than sky.

You can also choose to use any onboard you want, view multiple feeds at once and have access to live timing feed.

Thanks. I have often wondered if (I have 3 screens connected to PC) I can have 3 streams running so timing, onboards, pitlane for example

Soldato

I watch using the app. It's rather buggy, so I usually avoid touching anything while the race is on, in-case it crashes. But you're right there are a ton of additional features and feeds available.

Soldato
mostly lost interest in F1 due to the races not being free to watch in full anymore.

if snooker ever gets big enough that will sell out to Sky also

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I watch using the app. It's rather buggy, so I usually avoid touching anything while the race is on, in-case it crashes. But you're right there are a ton of additional features and feeds available.
What drives me crazy is firing up the app 1hr after race start and having no choice to "watch from start", so you get punted straight on to the live feed :mad:

I either try to watch live or avoid the coverage until well after the event (+3hrs) to avoid this, but to be honest it's such a basic feature that I can't believe they've not fixed it.

Also... I've had instances watching on a significant delay and find that once the grand prix ends, the app will suddenly jump you back to live. On more than one occasion I've been watching about 1.5hrs delayed and BOOM... welcome to the podium ceremony.

Soldato
What drives me crazy is firing up the app 1hr after race start and having no choice to "watch from start", so you get punted straight on to the live feed :mad:

I either try to watch live or avoid the coverage until well after the event (+3hrs) to avoid this, but to be honest it's such a basic feature that I can't believe they've not fixed it.

Also... I've had instances watching on a significant delay and find that once the grand prix ends, the app will suddenly jump you back to live. On more than one occasion I've been watching about 1.5hrs delayed and BOOM... welcome to the podium ceremony.
There's a time bar at the bottom. It's very bad UI because its right at the bottom and it's not obviously a time bar. I have to hide my on screen controls to get to it. But you can use it to go back to the beginning of the feed while it's Live.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

There's a time bar at the bottom. It's very bad UI because its right at the bottom and it's not obviously a time bar. I have to hide my on screen controls to get to it. But you can use it to go back to the beginning of the feed while it's Live.
Well, yes… but normally by the time you manage to scrobble back the feed would have started.

Literally any other Live/Catchup service (iPlayer, ITV Hub or Channel 4) will offer up a prompt about starting from the beginning or going live. It’s frustrating.

Caporegime
mostly lost interest in F1 due to the races not being free to watch in full anymore.

if snooker ever gets big enough that will sell out to Sky also

I'm opposite. Found that highlights and watching in evening suits me much better.

I even found the sprint race dull as usually all the boring bits are cut. And there's a lot of boring!

Not looking forward to watching the C4 rerun tomorrow night and having to sit through all the naff bits.

Soldato
Sky for me. C4 is not live and has ads. Has to be live or I get spoilers constantly from people starting conversations like "Did you see Hamilton won!?" Or scrolling a social media feed or YouTube and the thumbnail is the winner celebrating with the trophy. Infuriating.

The main presenter guy on C4 is also a bit wierd and Webber I now can't forgive for his childish squeal into turn 1 at Baku.

I don't find Crofty that bad until I read this thread and realised that yeah actually he does get over excited at times. Brundle is awesome and always has been.

Soldato
The main presenter guy on C4 is also a bit wierd and Webber I now can't forgive for his childish squeal into turn 1 at Baku.
Yeah, he's quite marmite, OK on the links, but very poor in the paddock. I don't think free-to-air (or British F1 at all) have had a good presenter since Jake Humphreys. Suzi Perry was OK (while clearly not interested in F1), but Lee McKenzie should have got that gig - she was good when deputising.

I'm not sure on Alex Jacques either. He's very good when he does F2 and F3 and when I've seen him on the F1TV Pit Lane feed, but he's different on C4, which I assume is a deliberate direction from above. He's still better than Croft, but I hope Edwards is only taking a break and he gets back into the box (hopefully instead of Croft) in a year or two.

C4 seem to be going down the route of trying to appeal to a young and new audience, but it's really hurting their coverage. There's zero insight or technical details or really even anything of any note - this weekend has been very poor in that regard thus far. It's why everyone hated ITV's coverage in its later years (Rider and Blundell era), it was watered down way past dumbing down to the point it lost all credibility, despite ITV really laying the groundwork starting F1 coverage as we know it in their first few years. Sky's lack of technical insight is unforgivable given the fact they have a 24/7 dedicated channel and people are paying through the nose for content - instead it's constant repeats and every weekend has the exact same features between sessions for months on end (all season long for some).

To give Sky some credit I do like the new free practice sessions with Rachel Brooks prompting the likes of Chandhok and Davidson. It a much better dynamic as she isn't pretending to be an F1 person or commentate as such, but is instead linking the experts and outwardly is almost directing them herself. I gives a little more technical knowledge in the sessions where more of the audience will be hardcore fans.

Back
Top Bottom