Skylake non k bclk overclock - questions

Permabanned
Sorry if it's a daft question, but how can a BIOS update be forced by Windows?

Doesn't BIOS firmware need to be flashed specifically?

nope. it would be done in the same way a desktop program can update bios, gigabyte as the @BIOS app that will update from desktop. on the next boot the new bios setting would be applied.

Permabanned
Don't install the update or change Bios your fine. Win 10 Pro u can disable all this stuff no issue.

On ASRock OCF u can select which microcode to load at Bios level just select any you wish.

i use pro, and i cant turn this off. at first i could but after the last update i have NO control over updates any more

Associate
nope. it would be done in the same way a desktop program can update bios, gigabyte as the @BIOS app that will update from desktop. on the next boot the new bios setting would be applied.

So you could disable updates in that specific software?

I have an MSI board and have their Command Centre software, I'm not sure if that can update BIOS at all?

Can't people just delete any manufacturer software that can potentially auto update the BIOS?

Soldato
Windows 10 has permission to edit the BIOS just like it has over every other bit of hardware and software. You could delete Windows 10 and install Windows 7 but all that crap is coming to 7 and 8 too.

The only sure way to get around this would be to not use Windows and don't update the BIOS ever. But then you have to choose between the Skylake calculation problem or overclocking.

Windows Vista would work...

Last edited:
Permabanned
then you have to choose between the Skylake calculation problem or overclocking.

Windows Vista would work...

Skylake calculation problem... is this ever real. have you heard of any person having this problem ever? or did it just happen the turn up as intel started to fight the none k overclocking
;)mmmm....

Here is a clue i have a none k overclocked and i used prime and no problem.... let me guess it only asfects some cpus.... but intel want to fix them all just incase.....

Soldato
Every overclocked OcUK bundle will now include a free copy of Vista. You know it makes sense.

Nobody messes with you when rolling with Vista. Just go to a lan party and say I'm running Vista. Everyone shuts up. It's the SAS of the OS world.

Permabanned
Every overclocked OcUK bundle will now include a free copy of Vista. You know it makes sense.

Nobody messes with you when rolling with Vista. Just go to a lan party and say I'm running Vista. Everyone shuts up. It's the SAS of the OS world.

nothing wrong with XP baby ;)
you should note OcUK still selling the bundle so there no too bothered about what may or may not happen, ever thought we are all just over thinking it.

Also hahah i would love to see you role up and say that at a lan. you would go a long way:D

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're running Windows I would think MS would want the calculation error fixed.

I'm more interested in taking back control of Windows TBH.

Last edited:
Permabanned

intel's update changes the processor's microcode—programmable code embedded in the processor that gets updated both by system firmware and operating systems—to, in some unspecified way, prevent altering the base clock in ways Intel does not want. While it will take some time for motherboard vendors to update their firmwares and actually propagate the new microcode to end-user systems, it means that the end is nigh for simple overclocking of Skylake processors. Some holdouts may stick with old, overclocking-capable firmware, but it will become increasingly hard to buy new motherboards that support the old capability.

so this sould to me like your your already overclocking yu should be fine. the new code will be sent with new boards?

Associate
It will be like the G3258 fiasco on non Z boards when Win10 broke o'clocking with a microcode update.
Just rename mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll

Associate
I was a complete noob to PC's, Overclocking and CPU's a couple of months ago. With all this debate I have learnt loads LOL.

My question is if the worst case scenario is true and WIN10 forces an update disabling my BCLK OC and my i5 6400 reverts back to 2.7ghz I will be pretty disappointed but I'm assuming a 6600K would give me very similar performance?

The price difference is £50 6400 - 6600K. Having purchased a complete setup very recently should OCUK help or give a very good deal to customers that have purchased bundles based on some very strong claims?

That said confidence in the on-going ability of this bundle must be high as OCUK are still selling it.

Soldato
The only time I think I've ever seen firmware/BIOS updates delivered via Windows Update is for pre-built machines/laptops/tablets, and even then that's fairly rare as they're usually done via a manufacturer-specific updates application.

Permabanned
I was a complete noob to PC's, Overclocking and CPU's a couple of months ago. With all this debate I have learnt loads LOL.

My question is if the worst case scenario is true and WIN10 forces an update disabling my BCLK OC and my i5 6400 reverts back to 2.7ghz I will be pretty disappointed but I'm assuming a 6600K would give me very similar performance?

The price difference is £50 6400 - 6600K. Having purchased a complete setup very recently should OCUK help or give a very good deal to customers that have purchased bundles based on some very strong claims?

That said confidence in the on-going ability of this bundle must be high as OCUK are still selling it.

if you got it within the last 14 days i would be sending it back buddy for a refund. when i ran my 6400 at stock speed its not good for gaming

Soldato
Hey boss an just got my i5 6500 @ 4.7 at moment got some more tweaking to do after work I'll keep you u posted

Could you let me know what basic settings you've got in your BIOS? Also what board, RAM and CPU cooler are you using?

I've got mine to 4.3Ghz at the moment, but last time I tried getting it to 4.5Ghz I had to reinstall the OS.

Back
Top Bottom