SkyrimVR the only game I play now.

Associate
I bought my first VR hardware from OC after coming to the shop for a demo, almost 2 years of fun, I have 72 VR games and over 600 flatscreen games.

My hardware is now HTC Vive Pro + 1080ti + i76700k + samsung 950 pro steam folder.

I have not played a flatscreen game in over a year, even games I kickstarted cannot pull me away from VR.

Probably spend 8 hours plus a day in VR standing up, which has not affected my eyesight in a negative way at all regular eye checkups.

But since I bought SkyrimVR I live in that world now, my pc gets turned on once I have done all my RL stuff and I live within Skyrim.

With the extra resolution of the HTC Vive Pro all those graphical mods I used in the past now make Skyrim look even more beautiful add to that the Voice mod and I use my voice to answer dialogue, I thought it couldn't get any better until the application Natural Locomotion was released and its as near as can get to real life without a treadmill.

For the first time, I have no interest in the steam sale, no wish to play any other game, after all what out there in VR can compete with a game that with mods looks better than anything showing trailers at E3 and I can customize the game to my own preferences.

What I have learned.

Running and walking around Skyrim is great exercise, sprinting away from a Dragon while turning and taking shots with a bow lets just say I never need a gym.

I find myself walking actually walking not running or sprinting in town, you know how in most games once you figure out the fastest way to travel without incurring a penalty we use it all the time, in SkyrimVR I actually find myself slowing down to explore, to experience and look.

With enhanced sound effects and 3d sound mods dungeons can be as scary as the best horror games.

Wandering through a woods and shooting a dear for its hide is way cooler than it sounds especially if it starts becoming so natural you do not even stop to do it.

Frostfall and real needs mean you plan adventures and pack food drink and warm clothing accordingly, a fan in your room really adds to the atmosphere of the icy mountain passes.

The beauty of a sunrise or the aurora late at night is beyond words.

Associate
Whilst I still can't avoid the calling of flat screen gaming - Far Cry 5, Asassin's Creeed Origins and Kingdom Come Deliverance at the moment - Skyrim is my biggets VR pull and I have the most hours in that game closely followed by Beat Sabre.

I'd love to try out a Pro just to see if it's worth the massive whack of cash involved.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Sounds good, and I understand where you're coming from.
Whilst I'm not a Skyrim player, I do the equivalent whilst flying, using DCS.
Now have 19 aircraft (including the FC3 ones). I have a "daily" set of missions to practice (e.g. carrier landing in the F18), then whatever takes my fancy.
Had some time yesterday, so that was:
- Fly all of my fully modelled aircraft, just to ensure that I've not forgotten motor skills on say how to juggle the rudder and control torque on takeoff for say the Spitfire and other warbirds
- Re-visit the Ka50 attack helicopter and go practice some practical application against a target group
- Fly a couple of more difficult search and rescue missions in my Huey. One was a 45 mile flight in the dark, to a ship in the middle of nowhere and collect crew in poor weather conditions

I just find DCS so engrossing that I haven't really fired up anything else in months.

Associate
Dungeon crawling in SkyrimVR is amazing, as is exploring the open world, but I don’t play it much, the tacked on controls turn me off completely, interacting with objects in made for VR games blows me away every time, even simple things like picking up a cup in things like Robo Recall still amazes me, but in SkyrimVR you point and press ‘A’, it may seem trivial, but it turns me off completely, same as Fallout4VR, Payday2 and The Forest. The future of VR RPG games should take leaf out ‘A Township tale’ that’s going to amazing. That said, if a Bethesda esq RPG comes out with VR in mind from the start, I don’t think I would ever leave!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I have some question on Skyrim controls:
- Assuming that you need to use the hand controllers, is that correct?
- Can you play the game sat down?
- Movement, is that teleport, or smooth, using something on a controller?

Soldato
I have some question on Skyrim controls:
- Assuming that you need to use the hand controllers, is that correct?
- Can you play the game sat down?
- Movement, is that teleport, or smooth, using something on a controller?

You can use a gamepad or motion controllers.
You can play seated, even with the motion controllers.
You can teleport or use smooth movement using motion controllers - it's your choice.

Soldato
I tried it at my mates but it still has problems.
I was fighting someone and the next thing, I've sunken in to the ground.

And as I have the 2d version since release. I won't be paying £40 for it. should have been a DLC.

Soldato
the tacked on controls turn me off completely, interacting with objects in made for VR games blows me away every time, even simple things like picking up a cup in things like Robo Recall still amazes me, but in SkyrimVR you point and press ‘A’, it may seem trivial, but it turns me off completely!

Me too. And it's not trivial, the controls completely ruin the immersion. As you say it's just tacked on VR. Why didn't they take the extra time and make it fully VR. As it is, I won't be buying it until it's under £5 on a sale somewhere.

Associate
Me neither. I was pumped about FO4 and Skyrim, but after seeing how the controls are simply tacked onto the Vive (and presumably Rift) controllers with awkward menus...yeah, that's a pass from me at the current price.

Associate
If the clunky controls are stopping you getting it then you'll be missing out. It's the biggest, most immersive VR game I've played and that's after 2 years of using this contraption :)

And there's not a mod to change those controls to be more 'VR'. It would require a very low level rewrite of how the game engine works.

Soldato
If the clunky controls are stopping you getting it then you'll be missing out. It's the biggest, most immersive VR game I've played and that's after 2 years of using this contraption :)

And there's not a mod to change those controls to be more 'VR'. It would require a very low level rewrite of how the game engine works.

I tried it for a few hours on a friend's system. It looked great, but, the controls took me right out of the game. And after trying it out and knowing how great proper VR is, I won't be paying more than a £5 for it.

Soldato
On Rift, simply swapping the Grab (A) with Shout (Grip) would make a huge difference. No more accidental shouting, and grabbing things will feel a bit more natural (though still sub-optimal, due to the lack of proper hand presence).

Associate
I tried it for a few hours on a friend's system. It looked great, but, the controls took me right out of the game.
I totes get what you're saying. They should be sublime proper VR interactions but I use what I've been given.

On Rift, simply swapping the Grab (A) with Shout (Grip) would make a huge difference. No more accidental shouting, and grabbing things will feel a bit more natural (though still sub-optimal, due to the lack of proper hand presence).

I did a simialr swap for my Vive and it made jumping so much easier once I'd swapped that control over.

The controls may not be native vr standard. But its still on a different level of immersion to the 2d version. There is no comparison.

Indeed. I'm beginning to sound all fan boyish but I really love the whole thing but then I had a secret love for the flat version.

Caporegime
So guys, are some of you still playing Skyrim VR with all of the latest amazing mods that have been released? I just bought my first VR headset (Quest 2) and saw that PLANCK, HIGGS and VKRIM and MageVR etc have been absolute game-changers for VR and I am honestly stunned how an 11 year old games can now be this incredible and immersive.

I am using the Wabbajack modlist "Tehrovin" (download Wabbajack here https://www.wabbajack.org) which takes almost all of the pain out of creating a modlist yourself and basically adds almost complete roleplaying with the NSFW stuff. I have never before felt as much like an actual mage as when I can see my hands in front of me casting beautiful glowing spells with each hand able to cast and fire in independent directions. The archery is also very cool and you simply cannot compare anything 2D to it. I am finally closer to living out my nerd fantasies in my own rudimentary Westworld. :D

We live in a golden age of Skyrim modding and VR is slowlllly becoming a must-have with some amazing mods coming out for games like Resident Evil etc. I am excited and looking forward to the newer upcoming headsets where I will undoubtedly splurge on something good when one is released that provides 8k per eye with full hand, body and face tracking.

I predict good times ahead. :)

Soldato
I've played over 200 hours of Skyrim in VR, and could legitimately say at one point my headset was a Skyrim only VR system. I don't play it as much now, I still fire it up relatively often.

The mods that really were a literal gamechanger for me were VRIK (full body presence and body holsters) + Higgs VR (Full hand presence and gravity glove type behaviour) + Dragonborn speaks naturally (Abiity to speak your dialogue lines, and voice commands).

All the other mods for visuals and content were just icing on the cake.

Those three mods take Skyrim from a basic port into an almost a made for VR game, but it's such a great game in its own right it automatically elevates it far above the vast majority of VR titles.

Caporegime
I've played over 200 hours of Skyrim in VR, and could legitimately say at one point my headset was a Skyrim only VR system. I don't play it as much now, I still fire it up relatively often.

The mods that really were a literal gamechanger for me were VRIK (full body presence and body holsters) + Higgs VR (Full hand presence and gravity glove type behaviour) + Dragonborn speaks naturally (Abiity to speak your dialogue lines, and voice commands).

All the other mods for visuals and content were just icing on the cake.

Those three mods take Skyrim from a basic port into an almost a made for VR game, but it's such a great game in its own right it automatically elevates it far above the vast majority of VR titles.
Seems like you also need to try PLANCK then. :D

I may add the Dragon born Speaks Naturally mod to my list!

Soldato
PLANCK is a very recent mod, so not got around to trying that yet! Trouble is with a 200+ modlist is that new mods can cause extreme breakage.

Back
Top Bottom