Smart Home Setup For Dementia/Alzheimer's

Soldato
Hi all,

A family member is struggling with Alzheimer's. We have a reasonably sized family and care has been good so far, but I'm interested in making it just that bit better if possible. For example, if there is a window where she is left alone, the smart home would answer questions, turn on/off appliances and lights and make calls for her.

There is an Echo in the home and she asks Alexa the time and what not, so the introduction to Alexa is there. Medication times are announced and there's an alarm clock.

I have been thinking about introducing lights, but I'd have to be confident it will be reliable (I have had a nightmare with Hive turning on our landing light at full power at 2am on countless occasions, so now we just switch it on and off at the wall). As you will understand, a light coming on full power in the middle of the night will not do an Alzheimer's patient any good. The lights could be sensor-linked or voice command operated depending on their purpose.

I am wondering if anyone else has done this for similar situations. If so, the methods implemented may help us with our situation, and hopefully others in future.

I was thinking along the lines of:
- sunrise lights with the alarm clock could gently wake up our loved one at the same time every day, then Alexa can tell her what day it is, the time and who to expect to come round, etc.
- sensors (PIR?) if she gets up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, which will turn on soft lighting to guide her
- Alexa setup to tell the time on the hour every hour and mention a few reminders
- Alexa set up to ask questions - do you want to watch TV? Would you like to hear an audio book? Would you like to speak to someone? Etc.

Also wondering if there is a system out there set up for just this, that would include things we have overlooked.

We have a good schedule of care and there will be people present most of the time. This system wouldn't be a substitute for care, but rather a supplement to help things out. I'd imagine Alexa's reminders would do some of us some good too and reduce human error for forgetting medication or afternoon walk etc.

Soldato
Tread careful

Each person and each case is very different - whilst it might be good idea to setup lights during the night for one person - another person may find that awful and think someone else is in the house with them.

Honestly - speak to social work etc - see what they suggest.

Ideas are good but having recently had my mum diagnosed - One day she can be very happy with certain things, the next she doesn't like it. it's very much day by day.

Associate
Tread careful

Each person and each case is very different - whilst it might be good idea to setup lights during the night for one person - another person may find that awful and think someone else is in the house with them.

That sounds more like schizophrenia, but for sure carefulness is important. I personally would look into smart blinds too.
My Grandad enjoyed looking out the window, but would sometimes struggle to remember to get up and roll up the blinds.

Soldato
OP
Smart blinds is a good idea, I'll add that to the list.

The lights wouldn't just be coming on randomly, they'd have to be set up logically and linked to sensors. For example, if she's trying to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night, the sensors would activate gentle guide lighting. As I mentioned in OP, I'm staying away from Hive due to my experience of sensor-activated bulbs coming on full power in the middle of the night. If Hue (or another smart light product) is reliable and won't do that, I'd consider it.

Soldato
Keep maintainability high on your list. You can do this now but can you support it for a long time? Simple is best. Good on you for doing this though.

Soldato
OP
Thanks @dLockers it's a very good point. That's why I am looking at only using premium, well-reviewed products. It looks like I'll be getting Philips Hue in to work with the current Alexa, which she uses as habit. Also I have added smart blinds to the list - thanks again @Cooler running

Could someone please advise if Alexa can do this:
- Check a OneDrive folder location for new files and notify the homeowner when something is added

The background to this is, I am thinking of asking family members to upload photos and videos while they're out and about, to say hi and keep her updated with everyone, especially the kids in the family. I think she'd really like it. If Alexa can detect when new files are added and then tell her, that would be great. What would be even better is if she can ask if the photos or videos should be played on the TV and then cast them.

That would be ace.

Gog

Gog

Associate
I've not got an amazon device to test but you should be able to use something like IFTTT or Zapier to achieve that. If OneDrive updated, then use Alexa Voice Monkey for TTS announcement. As for playing on tv, I'm pretty sure that would be a staple feature of a firestick but someone who owns one will be better placed to answer that than myself.

Soldato
OP
@Gog thank you, I did think it would be possible. Hopefully someone has done something like this.
If I manage to figure a way out, I'll post it here

Back
Top Bottom