Smart Meter - worth changing to?

Soldato
Just been offered an upgrade to my electricity meter to a smart one, by my supplier.

Any gains to changing? Is it any hassle when they do the work?

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
My friend who fits smart meters for British Gas tells me there is of no benefit for the consumer, just a way for the company to get the readings automatically.

Soldato
OP
My friend who fits smart meters for British Gas tells me there is of no benefit for the consumer, just a way for the company to get the readings automatically.
Thank you for the quick reply.

I just wonder if it'll affect selling my house later if I don't change.

Any idea how long it takes them?

Soldato
The only gain I can see for one is that you never have to give meter readings, there is the other part to it when it shows how much energy you're using but I'm buggered if I'm letting it tell me when I can put my heating on.

Associate
Just been offered an upgrade to my electricity meter to a smart one, by my supplier.

Any gains to changing? Is it any hassle when they do the work?

If you change supplier regularly don't bother. The current generation of SMART meters (SMETSv1) are not cross-company compatible so if you switch you need a new SMART meter. Need to wait for SMETS2.

Soldato
Don't do it, they're still not standardised and so as soon as you switch supplier it'll stop working anyway.

Caporegime
Don't do it, they're still not standardised and so as soon as you switch supplier it'll stop working anyway.

This.
Have not long switched and now it's useless.
What a waste. If I had known I would not have gotten one.
I liked having one, but it's so very wasteful if they aren't standardised

Encourage you to get a smart meter
Encourage you to switch
Meters not cross supplier compliant?

Fail!

Soldato
They are a waste of time wish they hadn't been swapped 5 years ago here , I've seen no advantage cost wise the only plus is the little monitor means I don't have to crawl under the stairs to get the readings now they are dumb meters after moving suppliers :rolleyes:

Just some info EON fitted the originals and when we moved to BG they would not swap to their meters until we had been with BG for a minimum of 12months

Soldato
If you don't have an isolator between the meter and consumer unit (most old houses don't) then you can blackmail them into fitting one free of charge in exchange for letting them fit a smart meter, may be of benefit to some.

Soldato
I personally like my smart meter. It makes me more energy conscious and gives me the perfect excuse to tell the missus to turn the heating down

Caporegime
I hate how they go about advertising these, bascially conning people into getting one as they state on the radio advert that you can save money by having a smart meter.

My gf is a case in point because when she heard it, she asked why dont we get one? Becuase we are unable to use any less power than we already do!!

Soldato
I had one done by my previous energy company. Huge waste of time. As soon as you switch supplier it becomes a dumb meter as there is no central database for them.

All it's done in the end is make it harder to read every month.

Permabanned
Pros:
- don't have to give meter readings
- may reduce brownouts

Cons:
- problems switching supplier
- have to arrange for the install
- more complicated meter more likely to break
- there'll be a new version and they'll all need replacing much sooner than a dumb meter, has already happened once
- creates a mesh network over the whole country, god knows what that could be abused for
- security + privacy concerns
- the more people have them installed the more it's going to cost, on everyone's bills
- the meter itself uses electricity, plus the daft tablet thing

Unknowns
- possible different tarriffs for those on smart meters and those on dumb meters, can't tell if pro or con

Back
Top Bottom