Smart Meter - worth changing to?

Associate
There is politics there there is downright lying, and I have to say that these days there seems to be a worrying amount of lying going on. I mean I can't actually believe that anyone thought that end users would stare at these things for long and that they would save money, there had to be some deeper reason that the energy suppliers wanted them installed - and the variable tariff makes perfect sense. What gets me is who in the government is proffiting from this? I am getting very tired of the government lying to us all the time and don't say they always did, they certainly didn't used to lie so blatently!!

Soldato
There is politics there there is downright lying, and I have to say that these days there seems to be a worrying amount of lying going on. I mean I can't actually believe that anyone thought that end users would stare at these things for long and that they would save money, there had to be some deeper reason that the energy suppliers wanted them installed - and the variable tariff makes perfect sense. What gets me is who in the government is proffiting from this? I am getting very tired of the government lying to us all the time and don't say they always did, they certainly didn't used to lie so blatently!!

All of the "new" SMETS2 meters are made by two different firms, the comms units attached to the meters and owned by the DCC are built by another separate company, all three companies have multiple MP's as directors and share holders, so who do you think will be the biggest benefit from smart metering?

It sure as hell wont be you and I!

Soldato
so the smart meter tv advertising has gone off the rails, they seem to be satirizing their own product ?

43655446254_592431b193_b_d.jpg

Soldato
I save money by turning things off that aren't being used as well as using LED bulbs etc. Not sure how changing to a smart meter can save me money.

Oh they mean I'll save because I won't have estimated bills? I Don't have estimated bills...

Caporegime
I save money by turning things off that aren't being used as well as using LED bulbs etc. Not sure how changing to a smart meter can save me money.

Oh they mean I'll save because I won't have estimated bills? I Don't have estimated bills...

the only way I can see you saving money is.

if everyone has a smart meter they no longer need to employ meter readers. that saving should then be passed on to you but it won't be.

for example paying someone £15,000 a year per 1500 houses a year to read their meters. opposed to a one off fee of say £100 to read their meters for life? so a one off cost of £150,000 per 1500 houses. but i believe this is being subsidised by the government. so it will work out they get it for free and save millions on employee costs. so it will be more people out of jobs lining the pockets of the fat cats.

the government should be mandating that prices of leccy and gas go down due to them having less overheads thanks to them.

Soldato
the only way I can see you saving money is.

if everyone has a smart meter they no longer need to employ meter readers. that saving should then be passed on to you but it won't be.

for example paying someone £15,000 a year per 1500 houses a year to read their meters. opposed to a one off fee of say £100 to read their meters for life? so a one off cost of £150,000 per 1500 houses. but i believe this is being subsidised by the government. so it will work out they get it for free and save millions on employee costs. so it will be more people out of jobs lining the pockets of the fat cats.

the government should be mandating that prices of leccy and gas go down due to them having less overheads thanks to them.

I never see a meter reader these days. They may knock once every few years, but the reading they take is never used to prepare a bill with as it's usually half way between billing periods. It's not like the old days (pre deregulation or whatever you call it) when your regional supply would come to read the meter every quarter just before your bill was due without fail.

If they say it will save me time submitting my own readings, well my time isn't that precious that I can't spare a minute to do it.

Caporegime
I never see a meter reader these days. They may knock once every few years, but the reading they take is never used to prepare a bill with as it's usually half way between billing periods. It's not like the old days (pre deregulation or whatever you call it) when your regional supply would come to read the meter every quarter just before your bill was due without fail.

If they say it will save me time submitting my own readings, well my time isn't that precious that I can't spare a minute to do it.

i believe they have to offer them for free until 2020. after that we will need to pay for them. so when it hits next year i might decide to get one installed.

no doubt they will become mandatory at some point and we will be forced to shell out like £500 to get one installed.

Soldato
i believe they have to offer them for free until 2020. after that we will need to pay for them. so when it hits next year i might decide to get one installed.
Meter changes will always be free, it's down to the provider to install the equipment they own at their own cost.

no doubt they will become mandatory at some point and we will be forced to shell out like £500 to get one installed.

Mandatory from 2020 the government already have laws designed out for this and have been passed by Lords.

Soldato

You don't own the meter why would you ever pay for it.
Same way your supplier won't buy you a new CU.

Soldato
estimates are already in the public domain ...from earlier in thread .. saving was originally some£26 p/A now <£10

Even w/o smart meters presumably they coulld already offer a reduction if you exclusively gave online readings, albeit they have to ensure people without internet are not disadvantaged,
- don't they have to read them once a year anyway, in case they go awol.

Soldato
Don't need nor want one thanks.

I use what energy I need and pay extra to have it all from renewable sources.

Mmm'k thnx no thnx.
Just because you want nor need one does not mean the government and energy companies cannot make you have one. As it stands the Energy companies have to offer you the option of changing to smart with the gimmick of being able to see your usage, Come 2020 they WILL be mandatory get use to this idea......

So you get specific energy to your house from renewable sources? do you have a main line to such sources or are you grid bound like the rest of us?

If you are as I expect Grid Bound then your energy comes from the nearest production facility be it Gas, Coal, Wind, Solar, Hydro or Nuclear, just because the provider says the energy the provide comes from renewables has no bearing on where your electricity actually comes from.

estimates are already in the public domain ...from earlier in thread .. saving was originally some£26 p/A now <£10
Even w/o smart meters presumably they coulld already offer a reduction if you exclusively gave online readings, albeit they have to ensure people without internet are not disadvantaged,
- don't they have to read them once a year anyway, in case they go awol.

As I and others have said before, saving only come from awareness, the smart roll out/offer is a form of forced awareness. 99% of households I have been to have no idea how to save money. or have no clue that changing light bulbs from old filament types to LED will save you between £40-£100 (depending on size of house and number of bulbs replaced/length of use also has a factor) these issues are the main aim of the roll out, short term there is no gain, long term as we all get hungrier from more powered convenience the more aware we need to be.

Soldato
Just because you want nor need one does not mean the government and energy companies cannot make you have one
It also doesn't mean I can't resist as much as possible.

So you get specific energy to your house from renewable sources?
Indeed, I phone up the company and have them turn up with a carrier bag of 'green' power. Usually on a Sunday evening.

My choice is to encourage greater use of renewables, your length of reply suggests you know how it works.

Soldato
As I and others have said before, saving only come from awareness, the smart roll out/offer is a form of forced awareness.... short term there is no gain, long term as we all get hungrier from more powered convenience the more aware we need to be.

yes, the public are even being mis-sold the capabilities of the smart meter .. not sure whether the smart meters in other countries are better (I guess not),
or whether the software api can be utilised by 3rd party apps, but,
inability of the system to break out the individual energy users, and give you a chart showing usual suspects, oven, hob, lights in different rooms, standby devices,....
(even via some kind of training/learning .. I had linked a system way back) means they are of limited use.
I would sign up if they did this.

You can get an energy monitoring plug (I have a maplin), but ones that will store the data and wirelessly communicate are $$$;
also need an inductive (cable collar type) for hob/oven to attach at fuse box.
if the energy company gave me an integrated solution I would pay.

they need to start having integrated mains plugs on appliances which also monitor ... already patented ?

Soldato
I thought in 2020 it will be mandatory that suppliers have to OFFER them, not that it was mandatory that you had to have one. I don't think my supplier even offers them yet.

Soldato
they need to start having integrated mains plugs on appliances which also monitor ... already patented ?
there are new consumer units available/coming to the market for when you rewire, they have systems in place to monitor each circuit in the property and then connect to arundo/RPI/WiFi systems for monitoring and reporting. But they are mega money and it's down to you to replace it as it's your hardware.

I thought in 2020 it will be mandatory that suppliers have to OFFER them, not that it was mandatory that you had to have one. I don't think my supplier even offers them yet.
Currently it is mandatory that they offer some sort of smart service, after 2020 any meter changes will be to smart no choice.

Permabanned
Smart meters can see you money... Not as much as energy companies can save me by reducing the cost I pay for a unit.

It’s quite funny really because you and I can save all the energy you want but your monthly bills will likely stay the same, use less pay the same the energy suppliers make more.

Win win I guess.

Back
Top Bottom