Smart meter

Soldato
Electric smart meter, i keep getting the hard sell from my supplier but what are the benefits to me as a consumer if i already know i won't. Be changing my usage?

Should i be concerned about adjustable tariffs?

Soldato
I think irrational rejection of smart meters gets you a pin badge from the conspiracy club.

https://medicineofthefuture.co.uk/say-no-to-smart-meters/

Extra points if you reject a smart meter but have WiFi or a mobile phone.
That's a proper tinfoil hat website isn't it!

Benefit for me was I wanted accurate usage stats so was inputting monthly anyway. Haven't touched the cab since they were reenabled (I had an OVO meter that was stuck until recently, now on bulb).

Commissario
Are they still incompatible between suppliers? I change my supplier every year as part of a collective bargaining thing so I could get one and then find it no longer works.

Not really sure what the benefits are anyway. I use electricity. My current meter works.

Permabanned
The benefit is automatic readings.
The downside is unreliable new tech and probably peak usage charging in future.
Basically if you have a dumb meter and you're happy with it then continue ignoring them.
Personally I see it as making something smart when dumb works fine, same as most smart home stuff, but each to his own.

Soldato
Electric smart meter, i keep getting the hard sell from my supplier but what are the benefits to me as a consumer if i already know i won't. Be changing my usage?
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Unless you aready do your best to lower your bill or don't care how much your bill is because your rolling in money it will make you conscious of how much energy you are consuming.

I do have one and you are not missing out on much but it can be quite eye opening for those who live in a house with quite a few bedrooms.

Soldato
Are they still incompatible between suppliers? I change my supplier every year as part of a collective bargaining thing so I could get one and then find it no longer works.

Not really sure what the benefits are anyway. I use electricity. My current meter works.
I had the issue for about 15 months. OVO to Bulb. I suddenly had an email saying my metres would be smart again from a date. All good ever since.

Soldato
Doesn't take 2 minutes to submit my meter readings manually and having them read automatically isn't going to cut down my usage. In fact surely the usage will go up as you have to power the meter and the separate plug in display.

Smart meters have no benefit to the end user, only the people at the top who want to cream off you.

Soldato
Doesn't take 2 minutes to submit my meter readings manually and having them read automatically isn't going to cut down my usage. In fact surely the usage will go up as you have to power the meter and the separate plug in display.

Smart meters have no benefit to the end user, only the people at the top who want to cream off you.
Nonesense tinfoil hat brigade. Having the instrumentation around you influences behaviour. It isn't rocket science.

Associate
Best thing for me is I don't have to give any more meter readings.
However since moving to Shell Energy I had to switch the smart meter as the BG one was not compatible with them. This new meter has never shown my the cost of electricity being used, but does show the units being used. Useful to check on how mining is increasing my usage.

Soldato
I have nothing against them. I think one of the biggest things in future is if they start charging for apparent power usage.

Had no issues with ours and it means no faffing about with reading meters. I get charged for exactly what I use.

Back
Top Bottom