Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Soldato
Honestly, Google needs to sort out Android Wear and it's OEMs because the only thing stopping me from going over to Apple is the fact Google Assistant and Android Auto are much better than the Apple counterparts and I'm happy to compromise on the latter. Essentially, if Siri gets overhauled and improved massively then I would replace my entire Google ecosystem in a heart beat. I'm fed up of having to compromise on my expectation of Wearables with Android.

I don't quite understand how you have a Samsung wearable, but are moaning about Google? Or maybe there's issues you've had with Google's wearables that have forced you to Samsung? I intentionally don't want a Samsung as it doesn't have Wear OS on it, partly because of the issues you mention.

I think the only thing stopping me using Google's wearables is the lack of a payment system tbh.

What do you mean? Google wearables have a payment system.

Soldato
I don't quite understand how you have a Samsung wearable, but are moaning about Google? Or maybe there's issues you've had with Google's wearables that have forced you to Samsung? I intentionally don't want a Samsung as it doesn't have Wear OS on it, partly because of the issues you mention.

What do you mean? Google wearables have a payment system.
Sorry, typo. I meant downloadable Spotify

Soldato

Yeah, basically I went with Samsung because of how disappointed I was with the LG Watch Sport - the poster device of Wear 2.0.

Every Wear OS since that has come out is worth shouting about. The Snapdragon 3100 announcement was disappointing as it's still using an old manufacturing process - there's no questioning that both Samsung & Apple wearables have much better SoCs.

That's why I'm not holding my breath with the supposed Pixel watch. I can't see it using anything other than the SD 3100 unless they go either Exynos or they've designed their own SoC (which Google were rumoured to be getting into, but I don't believe they're there yet).

Essentially, Samsung need to sort out their Eco system and Google need to sort out both their hardware/OEMs and their platform. I say platform as I don't believe for one second that Android Wears woeful battery life if purely down to the SoC. Question is, which one will do it first?

Soldato
Google need to sort out both their hardware/OEMs and their platform.

I guess I find this interesting, in that as I said, I chose the watch I have because it has Wear OS. I want that platform, it's not something I feel they need to 'sort out'. I wonder how Google view it? I also think it's unfair to say Google need to 'sort out' the OEM's. I wouldn't say that's up to them. Google provides the software, anyone can make hardware at put Wear OS on it. Mind you, again, I'm very happy with my Skagen Falster 2, lovely bit of kit IMO.

Soldato
Of course it needs sorting out Andy, maybe not in your view but there's absolutely no way Google view Wear OS as a success. Look at the market shares, they're drawfed by Apple Watch OS and Android's top two phone manufacturers both jumped from the Wear OS ship. Considering Wear OS compliments both Android, the largest smartphone OS in the world and to some degree, can work with iOS then there's a considerable conversion issue as to why Wear OS's market share is so small.

Don't get me wrong, I want Wear OS to be good but even as a staunch supporter of Android, I have to be honest and say it's a disappointing platform along with Android TV and Android tablets.

I'm glad you like your watch, it's a nice looking design.

*On the staunch Android supporter side, I've had:
- Back to back Android phones since Eclair, across 9 years
- Android TV, again, another poor platform
- Android tablets (Asus Transformer & Nexus 10), again another disappointment
- Samsung Galaxy Camera - actually this wasn't too bad of a device from a software point of view, it was more the poor/slow lens and small sensor.

Last edited:
Soldato
Battery life primarily, the Galaxy Watch can last me 4+ days easily with constant heart rate monitoring turned on and with 30 mins of exercise tracking for at least two of those days. I've just completed a 5+ hour hike with the watch tracking, including constant GPS (which should be provided by my phone, but isn't as there's no GPS icon showing on the phone) and I've got over 43% battery left. This is also the 42mm watch with the smaller batter. I just wouldn't have been able to do that with my LG Watch Sport, exercise tracking would drain the battery.

Secondly, performance. Despite the better battery life, the Galaxy Watch UI is so much more responsive and the Bezel is a dream to use. The LG Watch Sport was so frustrating to use, it was so slow - it just wasn't a nice experience and spent most of its life in my drawer.

Now there's not many watches using the newer 3100 chip and most reviews of watches using it aren't exactly complementary. Qualcomm aren't interested in wearables clearly and that's an issue for Google as their main competitors have their own SoCs.

Improved hardware would help both these areas, but I don't think that's the only reason, I'm positive WearOS is also less efficient than Tizen as there's no way the 28nm vs 10nm manufacturing process is the sole reason for the battery life difference.

Again, I'm not singing the Galaxy Wear's praises here - the app availability is poor. Personally I think Apple are the only ones nailing wearables, fantastic hardware with great application availability.

Soldato
Fair enough. I don't think anything you've said above is an issue I have I guess...

I suppose battery life is a good example of 'do Google think it's an issue'? I don't, for example. Mine easily lasts me a day. Do Google think it needs to last 4 or 5 days? I used the Huawei Watch GT for a month, which could last a couple of weeks, but each night it almost seemed more trouble not putting it on charge than putting it on charge. I guess the argument is for wearing it while sleeping, which is a fair point if that's what people normally do.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I love my Wear OS and the Fossil Q Explorist 4th Gen is great. But it pales against the Apple watch. Google do need to do something to up their game. Still wouldn't have an Apple watch though! :p

Soldato
So it's my birthday in 10 days time and I'm going to (finally) treat myself to a smartwatch, I've settled on the Fossil Sport. However, apart from the Pixel watch, which might be coming, or might not, who the hell knows... is there anything on the immediate horizon that could be better?

I need:

A moderate size, not ticwatch pro size (if they did a smaller one with the same dual display I'd be buying one, but they don't :( )
Android wear (not a fan of the limited apps on the Samsung models)
1 day battery life is perfectly fine, I charge my phone at night and will charge this
Waterproof (will be worn whilst mountain biking so needs to be able to take a soaking of water/mud etc
A crown/bezel etc would be ideal for navigation.

I know android wear isn't perfect, but it's good enough for me.

Soldato
Anyone have a galaxy watch active?
Thinking of getting one for my girlfriends birthday as she's into running and doesn't have a watch.
She specifically wants one that lets her programme time intervals (like alarm/vibrate after 3 minutes , then 1 minute, then 15 minutes etc etc without having to keep tapping the watch) - can the active do that?

Soldato
Anyone with the watch active, then sent off for the free wireless charger?

I sent the watch back as the heart rate monitor was useless, kept getting itself stuck and only a reset sorted it then it'd get stuck again.
Well today, even though I sent it back the free wireless chargers been delivered :) Hope they don't ask for it back.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
No me neither, seen a few on Reddit have it, but the vast majority don't. Looks like a very slow roll out!

You need to make sure your watch (Home app) and phone app are up to date, version 2.24 on both, then you just need to wait as its a server side change that is needed to activate it.

Soldato
https://www.reddit.com/r/WearOS/comments/bmqn4z/someone_asked_about_wear_os_on_the_android/

I'm starting to get fed up with my HW2, apart from having Google Pay performance and battery wise it was more of a sidegrade from my LG GWR. There are just some moments of it which feels like it's struggling to keep up with what I'm trying to do, one major example is when I put the watch on and try to unlock the screen. It lags in the middle of it and the fails to do so, but attempting again right after it's fine, so it could be the SoC just not speeding up fast enough.

I had a play with Samsung's Watches and it's definitely more responsive, but there are some Wear apps which I do often use (Keep, Authenticator). Either Google needs to put more effort into making WearOS lighter and faster, or slap Qualcomm to make a proper SoC that can compete with Samsung and Apple's watch SoCs.

Back
Top Bottom