Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Soldato
Had a strange thing happen last night with it, hopefully just a one off.

1st night I used sleep for android, 100% battery when I went to bed, 75% when I got up, pretty reasonable.

Last night, it was on 100% again not long before going to bed, nothing running this time and yet when my alarm went off at 5:50 it almost instantly went into power save mode at 9% battery!

kzRSHNtl.jpg

You can see the battery was draining overnight. Hopefully just a one off, or the battery calibrating itself?

Today it was on full by about 7:20am and I'm at 58%so plenty to see me through the day .

Last edited:
Soldato
You get less than 2 days from your watch normally?
My SGW 46mm is my first smartwatch and when I first got it thought 4 days wasn't great, not sure I could live with even less. Not had any power draw issues like you mentioned, as you say though, it could be a one off where the screen never powered down or a process didn't terminate properly.
Screenshot-20190513-164105-Galaxy-Watch-Plug-In.jpg

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Had a strange thing happen last night with it, hopefully just a one off.

1st night I used sleep for android, 100% battery when I went to bed, 75% when I got up, pretty reasonable.

Last night, it was on 100% again not long before going to bed, nothing running this time and yet when my alarm went off at 5:50 it almost instantly went into power save mode at 9% battery!

kzRSHNt.jpg

You can see the battery was draining overnight. Hopefully just a one off, or the battery calibrating itself?

Today it was on full by about 7:20am and I'm at 58%so plenty to see me through the day .

Funnily enough I had my Gen 4 do the same thing a week or so ago. No reason why but its been fine since. I guess something just kept it awake, or bluetooth was bugged.

Soldato
Yeah the battery life on the wear OS watches isn't amazing, but tbh if it can get me through a full day then that's good enough for me. It takes less than an hour to charge it, I was fully charger at 11pm last night, wore it overnight (the vibrating alarm on my wrist REALLY helps me to wake up!) and with a 30 minute workout today and normal use at work, it's currently on 24%, with a mixture of AOD on and off, tilt to wake off (mostly).

Soldato
I got rid of my Skagen (well getting rid of it) Falster 2...while it was really nice and did come with Google Pay I just hated the battery life and the odd slow performance I got from it, battery life was majorly affected when I went a run etc.

I've actually went and bought myself (went back to) the Withings Steel HR for a couple of reasons, fantastic battery life (easily a few weeks out of it), I got the 40mm one this time instead of the 36mm and the updates they've made to the watch are fantastic. The LED display on the watch now actually displays message previews (it only told you who it was from when I had it last) so it's still ideal for checking codes etc for 2FA scenarios. They also updated it to work alongside the phones GPS for tracking running as an example which is fantastic. I really do enjoy having this again and it certainly looks like a proper watch.

Soldato
I'm absolutely fuming with my Galaxy Watch now.

Recently, I've noticed that the Watch is no longer notifying me of anything I'm receiving on my phone. I've reset the watch, checked that the Galaxy Gear app has notification access and the relevant plugins are not set to be battery optimised. Absolutely no difference.

So I randomly decide to test if 'Do Not Disturb' mode on the phone itself would make a different and low and behold, when I turn off 'Do Not Disturb', I then start getting notifications. The weird thing about this is I've always had my phone in DND mode for as long as I can remember, like years and I was 100% definitely receiving notifications on the Watch regardless.

Can anyone else confirm the Watch behaves in this way? I'm using a Pixel 3 on the latest software.

Last edited:
Soldato
That would sound like a bug to me if your phone was in DND and you were getting notifications on your watch.

For me, standard is if the watch is connected, that's what vibrates, the phone does nothing... I think?

Soldato
That would sound like a bug to me if your phone was in DND and you were getting notifications on your watch.

For me, standard is if the watch is connected, that's what vibrates, the phone does nothing... I think?

There are two notification settings that relate to how the phone & watch interact with each other:
  • Mute connected phone - this is off by default
  • Show while using phone - this is off by default
Perhaps it was a bug that has been fixed (maybe there was a plugin update that changed the behavior), but I liked how it worked. I'm not sure the 'mute connected phone' option is what I want because it states muting notifications, not calls.

Associate
I'm absolutely fuming with my Galaxy Watch now.

Recently, I've noticed that the Watch is no longer notifying me of anything I'm receiving on my phone. I've reset the watch, checked that the Galaxy Gear app has notification access and the relevant plugins are not set to be battery optimised. Absolutely no difference.

So I randomly decide to test if 'Do Not Disturb' mode on the phone itself would make a different and low and behold, when I turn off 'Do Not Disturb', I then start getting notifications. The weird thing about this is I've always had my phone in DND mode for as long as I can remember, like years and I was 100% definitely receiving notifications on the Watch regardless.

Can anyone else confirm the Watch behaves in this way? I'm using a Pixel 3 on the latest software.

There is an advanced setting in the Galaxy Wearable app that syncs Do Not Disturb from the phone to the watch - is this enabled?

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Try this if you haven't got tiles yet, worked for me.

1. Open Settings
2. Select apps and notifications
3. Choose App-info
4. Scroll down and select System Apps
5. Find Wear OS and tap on it
6. Select Force Stop
(7. Go back to the app list)
(8. Find Android System and tap on it)
(9. Select Force Stop)
10. Go to your watch face and wait ~5 minutes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WearOS/comments/bumakr/a_possible_way_to_get_tiles_quicker/

Soldato
Try this if you haven't got tiles yet, worked for me.

1. Open Settings
2. Select apps and notifications
3. Choose App-info
4. Scroll down and select System Apps
5. Find Wear OS and tap on it
6. Select Force Stop
(7. Go back to the app list)
(8. Find Android System and tap on it)
(9. Select Force Stop)
10. Go to your watch face and wait ~5 minutes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WearOS/comments/bumakr/a_possible_way_to_get_tiles_quicker/

Thank you very much.
Tiles now working on my watch :)

V_R

V_R

Soldato
You mean the orange bit on the right side of the face? It should disappear after you've gone through the tutorial.

Back
Top Bottom