Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Soldato
Last night I setup the charger in my study (I don't want yet another charger in my bedroom!) and at 21h30 I charged it up to 95%. It's currently sitting at 85%, which included some mucking about last night and tracking my sleep - it gave more sleep data than I was expecting. It's also told me that my resting heart rate is a little high (which I already knew, but still, at least I'm more confident in its accuracy). The charger is an aesthetically pleasing piece of kit (and it fits perfectly inside the circular base of my monitor - double yay).

So far the phone has synced up notifications adequately - it even displayed a photo I received on Whatsapp which was unexpected and surprisingly clear.

The only little, and they are little, issues I've had are relating to the phone not always lighting up when I want it to, or lighting up when I don't want it to. It either needs a way to say "turn off for half an hour" or I need to find it. This morning I couldn't get it to stay on for more than a brief second (perhaps it thought I was still sleeping) and last night I couldn't get it to stay off. Turns out my wife wasn't very pleased that I wanted to know what my heart-rate was like when I was getting lucky - damn phone kept activating and grassing me up - it ended up on the bedside cabinet. Priorities :D

All-in-all, it's an expensive gadget, and I will likely spend weeks learning how to take advantage of it all, so I'm pleased for now. I might have more comments in a fortnight.

Good luck to all those waiting for deliveries or struggling to find stock!

Caporegime
That Gear 3 looks like the watch I've been waiting for.

Bit too much for me currently, I think I'll wait till it drops down to about £200ish and grab one. It looks a bit toyish in photos, is this the case or does it look better in the flesh?

Caporegime

Bit too much for me currently, I think I'll wait till it drops down to about £200ish and grab one. It looks a bit toyish in photos, is this the case or does it look better in the flesh?

Managed to snag a moto 360 sport in new condition hardly used 3 month old for like £80 off ebay. Same as the 2nd gen but no removable strap and it silicone.

Then snagged a moto 360 2nd gen for £120.

these are nifty but extremely overpriced for what you use them for. I wouldn't pay £200 for one. Moto 360 sport ann 2nd gen retail for around the same price as the gear 3.

Try ebay, buy it now usually cheaper than auctions as people get into bidding wars ;)

Soldato

I'll do a a nude photo shoot of me wearing it later if that what you mean by in the flesh ;)

I had the S2 and it a lot bigger that that not so toyish looking (frontier)

My local CPW(small shop) had the S3 classic might be worth you going to check it out

I would say the Classic looks more dressy than the rugged looking frontier

Caporegime
Managed to snag a moto 360 sport in new condition hardly used 3 month old for like £80 off ebay. Same as the 2nd gen but no removable strap and it silicone.

Then snagged a moto 360 2nd gen for £120.

these are nifty but extremely overpriced for what you use them for. I wouldn't pay £200 for one. Moto 360 sport ann 2nd gen retail for around the same price as the gear 3.

Try ebay, buy it now usually cheaper than auctions as people get into bidding wars ;)

Sadly none of them come with GPS, GPS and a heart rate monitor along with a pretty looking face would be ideal for me.

Soldato
I agree that the S3 is over-priced - but in addition to the things that made me pick this over many of the alternatives (battery life, water resistance, heart-rate monitor, standard strap fixture, GPS and others), it is a really nice looking watch. I know people who regularly and happily spend the same amount I did on a normal wristwatch, and I know people who have spent six times what I did on a watch. It's a luxury, for sure, and very much a one-off for myself. I sometime think I might have preferred the Classic, but then I see the buttons and realise I made the right choice. I just need a nice black steel link strap :D

Caporegime
Sadly none of them come with GPS, GPS and a heart rate monitor along with a pretty looking face would be ideal for me.

the 360 sport comes with GPS and I snagged one for £88 including delivery off ebay, fully boxed and in mint condition only a few months old hardly been used which is why the seller then sold it on. it's basically a 360 gen 2 but with GPS built in and built in silicone strap that is non replaceable. it doesn't look as smart as the 360 gen 2 but it's more for sportier people which is why it has gps and silicone strap.

it's a really nifty bit of gear at that price. i wouldn't pay £200 for it.

Soldato
Just telephoned John Lewis regarding my order as it's not turned up yet & I've not received a shipped notification since ordering on Monday.
Payment has been taken, took my details & they have said they will forward it to the correct department & call me back in 2 to 3 days! :(

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone having problems with Telegram notifications with the Gear S3?
I get the notification to say I got a message but I can't see text on what's written in the message but I send a reply even though I can't view the message! lol

Associate
Just telephoned John Lewis regarding my order as it's not turned up yet & I've not received a shipped notification since ordering on Monday.
Payment has been taken, took my details & they have said they will forward it to the correct department & call me back in 2 to 3 days! :(

...Just be glad they've only taken the money once!

Soldato
...Just be glad they've only taken the money once!

Indeed, however im not impressed by the quality of service from them.
3 days to let me know whether an order has been shipped or not is pathetic, wouldn't mind if it was a £20 or £30 item, but it's not.

Doubt I'll consider using them again.

Associate
Indeed, however im not impressed by the quality of service from them.
3 days to let me know whether an order has been shipped or not is pathetic, wouldn't mind if it was a £20 or £30 item, but it's not.

Doubt I'll consider using them again.

...The 3 payments totaling almost £1200 that they have taken still haven't registered back into my a/c so are unavailable for me to access :mad:

Soldato
...The 3 payments totaling almost £1200 that they have taken still haven't registered back into my a/c so are unavailable for me to access :mad:

That is shocking, always the same though it seems that refunds always take much longer to be credited back to you.
I think my last overclockers refund took 6 days to show up in my account.

On the plus side a delivery driver has just turned up with a little present for me:D

Soldato
I'm genuinely surprised at John Lewis providing poor service. I bought a laptop from them about three years ago and they could not have been better when there was a problem. If you have a good moan, you'll eventually get to deal with someone competent.

Update on battery usage. My S3 dropped from 95% to 49% from 23h00 on Tuesday until 22h00 yesterday - so on target for four days usage - this is with multiple notifications every day (it relays all my whatsapp and messenger messages) and tracking my sleep, walking and heart rate regularly. Then the charge to full took just over an hour last night. This is exactly what I was hoping for, battery-wise. I'm confident could easily charge it on a Thursday night/Friday morning and have it last until Sunday night with normal usage (not tested GPS yet).

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Well I sent my Huawei W1 back, it was nice, and if it was in black I'd have kept it. Oh and if the vibration motor wasn't so Goddamn loud too!

I just really like the look of the GWR compared to the W1. Or the Gear S3 Frontier.....

Back
Top Bottom