Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Associate
Is there a new meaning of Ecosystem I didn't know? Fairly sure Spotify isn't one... neither is Wear? Sorry, pedantic I know, just seems over used. Happy to also be corrected if I am wrong.

Ecosystem
(in general use) a complex network or interconnected system.
"Silicon Valley's entrepreneurial ecosystem"

Seems like quite a general term to me. My spotify is connected to my TV,Sonos,Phone etc.......

Anyway.. Anything to add on potential updates of the Spotify App or indeed the prospect of sideloading the phone app on there?

Soldato
Ecosystem

Seems like quite a general term to me. My spotify is connected to my TV,Sonos,Phone etc.......

Anyway.. Anything to add on potential updates of the Spotify App or indeed the prospect of sideloading the phone app on there?

Do you mean android wear? if so spotify can be installed via the watch store

Soldato
Do you mean android wear? if so spotify can be installed via the watch store

Personally don't use Spotify myself but last time I checked, the Wear app only provides controls for the phone app, meaning you have to have your phone with you which @BIGWEB doesn't want to do.

I don't think Spotify will ever make the Wear app more independent. Even their Android version is lacking a few features compared to iOS.

Soldato
You're probably right re Spotify, but Wear is a way of organising various apps and specific hardware so I'd class that as an ecosystem.

No, it's an operating system. That's what OS' do... :) I wouldn't either say Android is an ecosystem, but I would say there is a 'Google ecosystem', like there's an 'Apple ecosystem' not an 'iOS ecosystem'.

Ecosystem

Yes, it's an app, that can cast to a Sonos (or does it install on Sonos? it's still just an app).

Anyway, I stand by neither being an ecosystem, otherwise pretty much anything on a phone will be an ecosystem, but it really isn't that important :)

Associate
So I've had a week or so with the Ticwatch E and have been pleasantly surprised.

Here are a couple of my favourite watch faces.

https://imgur.com/KsZAoWU

https://imgur.com/R7LTXzB

For £113.95, I'm actually quite impressed. I got a brown leather strap for it as well as an extra charger once I'd decided to keep it. There's a second hand one already at 102 quid on a well known auction site with still two days to go, so I figured getting it cheap I could sell it if I didn't like it. I also got 3 good tempered glass screen protectors for about 9 quid, messed up the first one but then worked out a good way to apply it. Looks like the actual screen and is just as sensitive, a near perfect application.

But I do like it, it's a quite nice bit of kit. People have complained about battery life, this one seems fine. Full day with regular looking at the sexy main watch face, using for texting etc and keeping the greyscale ambient face on had me at about 40-45% battery after a day at work, down to around 20% at bedtime.

However, if I'm not looking at it, I don't need it on all the time, I don't see the point. The wrist to wake feature works very well on mine, comes on when you look at it and goes off immediately if you return your wrist to its natural position. So I use this and have around 65% battery when I get home and around 40% when I go to bed. I only have bluetooth on as its tethered to my Note 8, no point in using wireless and I only switch on GPS if needed. I banked on getting a day out of it and I do easily, I knew beforehand you need to charge small things like this every night.

If you're after a cheap and cheerful smartwatch and can get it for between 100 and 125 quid, it's worth a go.

Soldato
Ticwatch e is on a flash deal at the moment and I have a spare £25 voucher. Worth it for £100 or should I stretch to HW2 for £175 or Misfit Vapour for £120 (Inc voucher)?

Back
Top Bottom