SMP Guide

Caporegime
vmware wont install on vista 64 bit, tried using all sorts of different compatibility modes got the same error on each one, that the installer was interrupted during installation

Soldato
OP
@psycho

Vista couldn't find its arse with both processors :p But I will make a note of it. VMWare that is :D

@Joey

Damn, I knew I would make that mistake! Thanks for pointing it out though.

Heh, not doing so bad considering most of it was done after midnight :D

Soldato
SiriusB said:
@shadow - Without wanting to go off at a tangent, is there any particular reason why you failed to get this going shadow?

If I knew that I be a happy man - I'm guessing it's all to do with the office proxy server and network (as I set my home machine up here at work, to use the office BB connection)

Can only run ubuntu off cd at home, can't access internet via firefox at work

Soldato
shadowscotland said:
If I knew that I be a happy man - I'm guessing it's all to do with the office proxy server and network (as I set my home machine up here at work, to use the office BB connection)

Can only run ubuntu off cd at home, can't access internet via firefox at work

What proxy are you behind? It may be that you want to try and set the proxy up in Ubuntu to autneticate with the proxy to the outside, and then point firefox at your local proxy.

Dunc

Soldato
OP
Not on Ubuntu right now, but there is a massive list of config programs in the System menu. Have a look under both System > Preferences and System > Administration. Any network/proxy settings you need to set in Ubuntu should be found somewhere in there.

Associate
Sirius, I used your instructions to install the latest drivers for my Nvidia 6600GT.. they seemed to work just fine..
When it comes to xine and mplayer... xine isn't even installed from what I can tell, and mplayer is a pile of p** !! So neither of those commands worked.
I installed VLC player early on, and it works just dandy, so I've not bothered with mplayer or anything else.

Cheers,

Kinnison.

Soldato
OP
OK guys, have been without Internet since Thursday afternoon. However there are no new replies so either people haven't found any more mistakes or people have not tried it apart from those who have replied to this thread :D

I have just gone through the thread and added a list of current mistakes to my original post [so people wont report the same mistake twice]. I will update the files with the changes and upload them to my server some time tomorrow evening.

I am in the middle of designing the webpage version for this guide and should hopefully have something that works by the end of the weekend. Since I am new to CSS I have no idea how it will turn out :p

Soldato
There is no need to burn the ubuntu ISO to a disc, right click on the virtual machine in the inventory and change the CD-ROM to use the ISO you downloaded. It's quicker and quieter, and you don't end up with yet another coaster:D

Edit/ some muppet just downloaded the wrong ISO, I had Dapper Drake but thought I should get Edgy Eft and got the 32 bit one :o now I've run into traffic shaping and I won't be running till early morning :mad:

Last edited:
Associate
I used VMware for the first unit, then I tried going native. I was getting 34mins per frame (1%) on vmware, getting 28mins now on native.. that's about 20% faster!

Kinnison.

Man of Honour
I'd have to wipe out three years worth of configuration. Not going to happen.

The VM will only survive until 32-bit SMP is released.

Now if someone can figure out how to install VMWare headless, that would be good. :D

Associate
Hello to you all, been out of forums for a long time, my folding has also become almost non-existant, with only a few old dells still folding currently. Anyhow i thought i'd give SMP a bash and this guide has been very useful so far :D

i installed VMware without a problem, downloaded 64bit ubuntu fine and got it running on vmware with no issues. I also did the graphics stuff and that went ok.

But now i've finally got to installing F@H and its giving me a right headache, i see options you don't give answers for in you're guide and i must be doing something wrong because it does not install correctly.

This is what i get once i run ./finstall: (i've cut out the irrelevant bits)

Code:
 This is FAH ("Folding At Home") installation script (ver. 5.3).
 To get to know more about FAH, go to http://folding.stanford.edu.

Testing the availability of external utils...
...done.

Using flags:
nofetch: false   nomd5: false    copycfg: false
keepcfg: false   norun: false    no3rd: false
freebsd: false   wine: false     skip3rd: false
fcliA: false     fcliB: true     nodocs: false
get3rd: false    setid: false    keepid: false
auto: false      screen: false   noscreen: true
samba: false     macosx: false   linux: true
setcfg: false    gentoo: false   openbsd: false
smp: false

Setting up FAH client(s) for 2 processor(s).

---Documentation---

Downloading finstall FAQ:
11:33:42 (197.71 MB/s) - `FAHLinux.txt' saved [39183/39183]

[B]
Do You want to read finstall FAQ (y/n)?: N[/B]

Creating /home/michael/foldingathome/folding...
.../home/michael/foldingathome/folding created.
MD5SUM value of downloaded FAH504-Linux.exe:
1316853b439d25a4a56adf82fcd953db  FAH504-Linux.exe

[B]Is this the correct MD5SUM value of FAH504-Linux.exe (y/n)?: Y[/B]

---3rd party FAH utilities---

Some 3rd party FAH utilities can be used by folding script:
1. Dick Howell's 'qd' and 'fpd' (http://linuxminded.xs4all.nl/?target=software-qd-tools.plc)

[B]Do You want to use any of these 3rd party FAH utilities (y/n)?: N[/B]

FAH 4.00 will check the MachineID value and terminate itself if it does find
another FAH client running with the same MachineID.
To overcome this, You either must start the client(s) twice or install every client
with unique MachineID value.

Do You want to use automatic MachineID changing (y/n)?:

Now i noticed first of all SMP says false?

Secondly, i said yes to this question the first time i installed it and it did some stuff then finished, i never got to the config questions as in the guide, so second time round i said no, same thing, can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Back
Top Bottom