SN78SH7 shuttle anyone?

Soldato
OP
ok back to my issue, i ran memtest on both sticks yesterday for 7 hours and it completed about 7 or 8 full tests with no errors. I have now disabled the card reader and will try and see if i can get it to happen again

Associate
Underclocking shuttle SN78SH7 Bios SN78S10Y ???

Hi guys, I also have a shuttle SN78SH7 , 4GB DDRII 800 Corsair with AMD Phenom II 965BE and Phoenix Bios Version : 6.00 PG Date : 07/09/2009 (SN78S10Y) GeForce 8200; Windows XP Home 32bit

System worked fine for 2 years with AMD X2 6000+ (Brisbane) with above memory w/o any blue screen. After Bios update and upgrade to Phenom II 965BE the system gives me in AUTO settings of Bios One blue screen per hour. Raising CPU voltage by +40mV and Memory to 1,90 V and longest memory timing settable in BIOS did not help.

BIOS does not allow underclocking FSB below 200MHz. So only solution is to underclock with using NVIDIA CONTROL Panel software the FSB clock to 190 MHz giving a 3.230 GHz CPU clock with a 17 mutiplier.

Using Hybernate mode I switsch system on/off without changing 190 FSB. At normal boot system blue screen occasionally before loading the NVidia control panel setting FSB to the save 190MHz.

So questions for you guys is: Any BIOS Mod available for the shuttle SN78SH7 with Bios SN78S10Y to underclock FSB to 190 MHz, or hints for setting memory timing to save values (I tried virtually all settings w/o help).

Your advise is most welcome.

br AMD-Fan

Associate
I have this Shuttle and have been trying to install a SATA DVD Drive. The problem is that it doesn't always recognise it and loading a DVD or CD crashes Windows Explorer (using W7 Prof). Do I need to upgrade the BIOS?

TIA

Soldato
OP
not come across this issue before. Have you got all the chipset drivers? and also have you tried other SATA ports? i believe there are 4.

finally with shuttles you always wanna be on the latest bios in my view. they can be buggy little systems

Associate
Have done that know and used the std MS drivers. Should I install the Shuttle driver as well and if so where do they go as looking at the file it is just a list of .dll with no install program.

Associate
Right have done all of that and the new sata DVD drive crashes Windows Explorer everytime I try and read a DVD - anybody help on this please. Have had to put old IDE DVD drive in for now but that doesn't read CDs.

Soldato
OP
yeah. google it mate, i had the same issue once apon a time and you can change registry stuff to resolve. mine was bluescreening after installing windows on IDE mode in error and wanting to change.

However a reinstall should resolve it, its a gamble though because it could be something else, but sounds to be like that is the issue.

if it was me i would do a clean install, but im anal like that :D

Associate
Phenom X4 9950BE works

gosh i cant recall as i had this years ago, i use it on my TV now, the Y bios is the latest and i have not seen any modded versions for any shuttles really.

Hi there, my system is now ok. Solution was to sell the Phenom II X4 965BE and buy a Phenom X4 9950BE which runs a bit slower at 2,6GHz, however very stable and still only 85 Watts in idle mode. Seems the SN78SH7 even with "Y" version BIOS does not really support the Phenom II.

Last Q: Any hints how I can tweak the 9950BE multiplier from 13 to 14 or higher. The BIOS does not give me options nor does NVIDIA control panel.

br still an AMD-Fan

Associate
I finally found following BIOS options to OC the SN78SH7 using a Phenom 9950BE:
1. go to BIOS -> advanced BIOS options -> CPU Feature:
2. Set AMD K8 Cool&Quiet control to --> Disabled;
now you can set the CPU clock via the variables CPU DID and CPU FID following the following formular shown on the "Item Help screen" on right screen side
3. CPU Core Freq = 100MHz * (FID+16)/(2^DID)
set CPU DID to 0 and CPU FID to 0C (=12) gives you 100*28/1 = 2,800 MHz

The power consumption in idle does not increase more than 10W despite disabling K8 Cool&Quiet.

My Phenom 9950BE runs now reliable upto 3,0 GHz!

To customize Cool&Quiet I use the great utility Phenom MSR Tweaker v1.2 you can download on various web sites for free (see here: http://phenommsrtweake.sourceforge.net . This brings down idle power to 95W when setting idle CPU speed to 1800MHz;

Have fun

Back
Top Bottom