SN78SH7 shuttle anyone?

Associate
To anyone else still using one of these and wanting to OC their CPU, the CCC with ATI graphics cards seems to help a bit; I've got my Phenom II X3 720 upto 3.4GHz with very little effort involved and she runs Far Cry 3 and BF3 on medium settings at 1080p with a HD 7750!

Associate
thanks for the info, mine is now just for tv watching and running underclocked if anything to keep the noise down
If you T-Cut the IHS and heatsink base then clean with analytical grade acetone before TIM application the CPU fan'll be essentially silent using the smart mode in bios I findeven at that speed! I could do with a non wonky chipset fan, just in case you wish to unload one in the eventuality that you swapped yours out for a silent heatsink!

Associate
Anybody having upgraded a SN78SH7 to Windows 10

Hi all,
Anybody having upgraded a SN78SH7 to Windows 10 yet ?
Any experiences you want to share ?
br AMD-Fan

Associate
Hi all,
Anybody having upgraded a SN78SH7 to Windows 10 yet ?
Any experiences you want to share ?
br AMD-Fan

Mine's still going strong with mainly original components and been on Windows 10 for 9 months without any software/firmware issues, even on the Insider Preview it had no problem recognising everything. The one thing I've always had to manually do is get the driver for what's called the Coprocessor in the Device Manager but I've not got it installed atm and its fine.

I'm surprised it runs so well tbh, when I originally put it together I thought I'd be using it as a HTPC by now but with the hardware you can get now I can't imagine me bothering.

Hardware-wise I'm running the below:
Phenom X4 9650 (stock 2.3Ghz)
Onboard graphics (handles 2 monitors fine and don't use it for gaming)
Crucial 4GB (2X2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Ballistix Memory CL4 2.0V
Replaced chipset fan and PSU when they went
Samsung 840 EVO 128Gb SSD
WD 2TB Green edition HD

The only issue I've got with it currently is that the RAM overheats so I chucked in a spare 80mm fan to sit on top of it and it's quite noisy so I've ordered a new fan to replace the ICE/CPU fan which gets loud occasionally and I'm looking at improving the airflow a bit.

Interested to hear if anyone else is still getting good use out of theirs too.

Soldato
OP
Mine is still going strong as my media PC, hooked upto the front room TV its used every day, longest PC I have owned and with an ssd working fine I can't see a need to change it.

Associate
I'm still using mine daily under a 40" Samsung 3D TV and the 3D feature is great. I'm going to upgrade from the old faithful HD 7750 to a GTX 750 Ti and I'll be forced to bodge a heatsink from an earlier Nvidia card as it's seemingly impossible to buy a single slot card in the UK or Ireland with this GPU :( I'm also hoping that an Athlon II x4 640 is an upgrade to a Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.4GHz!

Associate
To anyone still using the SN78SH7, the cheap as chips (pun intended) Athlon II X4 640 can easily be overclocked to 3.5GHz the old school way (CPU bus frequency or whatever it was called again) and is indeed an upgrade to a Phenom II X3 720 at 3.4GHz, even with the lack of L3 cache :D

Back
Top Bottom