• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Snapdragon X Elite Reviews

Soldato
First review/benchmark I've seen on the new processors. We should start seeing more reviews over the coming week or 2.

Seems promising - very surprised that the x86 emulation isn't trash (based on his limited testing).

Soldato
yeah really hoping these laptops work out well. Currently using a 5 year old MS surface laptop but the screen is going on it and not worth repairing. Just need something for casual use and holidays etc

Associate
yeah really hoping these laptops work out well. Currently using a 5 year old MS surface laptop but the screen is going on it and not worth repairing. Just need something for casual use and holidays etc
There are a few personal reviews online now from customers getting them yesterday/today. It seems they are living up to expectation.

Soldato
OP
There are a few personal reviews online now from customers getting them yesterday/today. It seems they are living up to expectation.
I didn’t think they would but am pleasantly surprised. Will wait for more reviews but it’s looking like a decent contender for people who want to use Windows or Linux.

Caporegime
First review/benchmark I've seen on the new processors. We should start seeing more reviews over the coming week or 2.

Seems promising - very surprised that the x86 emulation isn't trash (based on his limited testing).

Its awsome, i haven't actually tested it but its awesome, here are some slides from Qualcomm.

Seriously.....

Soldato
I didn’t think they would but am pleasantly surprised. Will wait for more reviews but it’s looking like a decent contender for people who want to use Windows or Linux.

Really? Looks like a slower less stable version of a windows notebook for 2-3x more money.

Soldato
OP
Really? Looks like a slower less stable version of a windows notebook for 2-3x more money.
It's faster than the latest AMD and Intel notebook CPUs, while using less power. No idea what you're comparing it too.

Obviously software is in its infancy but this is the future for laptops unless x86 magically becomes more efficient. Apple have proved as much.

Reactions: R3X
Soldato
OP
Its awsome, i haven't actually tested it but its awesome, here are some slides from Qualcomm.

Seriously.....
Looks like those were his tests? I generally dislike his content as it's surface level, but it's the only one that outs at the moment.

Already seeing other creators doing live reviews so we'll have broader coverage soon.

Don
Obviously software is in its infancy but this is the future for laptops unless x86 magically becomes more efficient. Apple have proved as much.
Apple can tell developers exactly how to code for their new platform to use the dedicated accelerators that apples chips include. Good luck telling every windows or Linux developer out there that they need to code a certain way just to benefit a tiny market share.

"Efficiency" isn't what is holding x86 back, and modern x86 and arm chips barely look any different in terms of design. Intel or AMD could bung a load of fixed function accelerators onto an x86 chip the same way Apple have, but without software support you end up underwhelming outside of a carefully handpicked selection of benchmarks.

Soldato

The Tech Chap has his initial impressions up.

Quite a good looking machine reviewed. I've been in a market for a new laptop, given my last one was a Vostro from 2008, but I am not sure this first generation product will be for me.

Associate
Two reviews:
(Google Translated)

(Google Translated)

Battery life isn't that bad at the end compared to the other Asus OLED in the NBC review - except at the full load test. I guess perf/watt perf/joule of what their full load test might be useful there.

Good news: platform comes with 3 x 4K video, USB 4.0 as standard so a nice baseline.

Performance seems lower than QC boasted, and plenty of last minute updates.

Question though: why would normal consumers switch away from x86? For Apple products it is because they are buying the whole package*, but Windows ARM vs Windows x86 has to offer more - and I just do see that at least yet.

* and for me and many other hardware enthusiasts the walled garden package is precisely why I would never buy Applle...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Apple can tell developers exactly how to code for their new platform to use the dedicated accelerators that apples chips include. Good luck telling every windows or Linux developer out there that they need to code a certain way just to benefit a tiny market share.

"Efficiency" isn't what is holding x86 back, and modern x86 and arm chips barely look any different in terms of design. Intel or AMD could bung a load of fixed function accelerators onto an x86 chip the same way Apple have, but without software support you end up underwhelming outside of a carefully handpicked selection of benchmarks.
Apple have the advantage of "1" hardware target, whereas Windows and Linux need to support a wider variety of hardware.

It took Intel over a year to sort out their scheduler to use e-cores in Windows, and I bet they still don't have it figured out. You can write the best code, but if the underlying system can't execute the code efficiently, it's no good.

x86 is a more complicated instruction set and will struggle to outperform ARM. Intel and AMD are 100% going to be producing ARM processors in the near future.

Edit: One big difference is Apple has the benefit of SOC, which does have an advantage.

Last edited:
Soldato
Two reviews:
(Google Translated)

(Google Translated)

Battery life isn't that bad at the end compared to the other Asus OLED in the NBC review - except at the full load test. I guess perf/watt perf/joule of what their full load test might be useful there.

Good news: platform comes with 3 x 4K video, USB 4.0 as standard so a nice baseline.

Question though: why would normal consumers switch away from x86? For Apple products it is because they are buying the whole package*, but Windows ARM vs Windows x86 has to offer more - and I just do see that at least yet.

* and for me and many other hardware enthusiasts the walled garden package is precisely why I would never buy Applle...

But outside of the garden is the Wild West. As demonstrated in the OP.

Caporegime

Right, exactly.

Its not as if ARM can do something Intel and AMD can't, they could do their own ARM chip's, they will if there is a mainstream need for them, if mainstream software developers are going to take up accelerated fixed function development, they haven't up to now, because it costs money, it costs a lot, you see the whole point of X86 is that its quick, universal and easy.

Microsoft think they can get everyone to spend more time and money on development costs, good luck to them.

Caporegime

So much first party performance reporting is incredibly contrived these days, it is from Nvidia, Intel and AMD too but it was Apple who started that trend when they first ventured in making their own ARM chips. it worked and with that they are all now doing it, you can't now not do it, it becomes a race about who can report their own performance the most contrived way. It all just becomes ridiculous crap.

The second part is another good point, why would i want a laptop that because of the hardware that's in it might not be compatible with what i want to do? I don't even think about that with X86.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom